Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 88311 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
Poking around in the iTunes store, I saw that there was an instrumental version of "Be Still My Soul" on an album that touted itself as "wedding music."

http://www.lutheran-hymnal.com/lyrics/tlh651.htm

While it's a beautiful hymn, and one of my favorites, I think I'd be wondering a little about the state of the relationship if I heard it in a wedding ceremony...

I mean, you only have to get as far as the second line to hear: "Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain."

Well, that could make sense, in a ceremony that talks about "for better or for worse".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

stkatie00

« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
Poking around in the iTunes store, I saw that there was an instrumental version of "Be Still My Soul" on an album that touted itself as "wedding music."

http://www.lutheran-hymnal.com/lyrics/tlh651.htm

While it's a beautiful hymn, and one of my favorites, I think I'd be wondering a little about the state of the relationship if I heard it in a wedding ceremony...

I mean, you only have to get as far as the second line to hear: "Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain."

Well, that could make sense, in a ceremony that talks about "for better or for worse".

Also, the melody is taken from "Finlandia," by Jean Sibelius, so while I don't think the hymn itself is in anyway inappropriate for a wedding, the tune itself is simply a lovely piece of classical music.

When DH and I got married, probably the only thing that could have raised eyebrows was the entrance of the wedding party to the reception-we went with the Barenaked Ladies "Who Needs Sleep?" mainly because by that point in the decision making process, I was just sick and tired of making decisions...And several of the members of the wedding party had been involved in the theater when we were all in high school, and lots of sleepless nights occurred!  DH and I entered to the fanfare from the Overture to the musical "The Scarlet Pimpernel."  It's one of our favorite musicals, and I thought it would be fun to have a fanfare! Otherwise, we danced our first dance to "Come Away with Me," by Nora Jones (it's in 3/4 time, so we were able to waltz to it!), the parent/child dance was "I Hope you Dance" by LeAnn Womack, and that was it for specialized music at the reception.  We weren't allowed to have secular music in the church for the ceremony, so no fun options there.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »
Our friend who is an operatic baritone sang at our wedding, and he sang "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof, "Ave Maria" (probably the first time "Ave Maria" has been sung in a Baptist church) and a song our worship band had performed, "Family Worship Song."  By the time he and I talked music I was so stressed I didn't care if he got up there and sang the ABC Song, but I knew I wanted "Family Worship Song."  In fact, I knew it from the first time we'd sung it, even before Mr. Sirius joined our band.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2011, 07:07:19 PM »
OK, I'm only on page 4 of this thread (so far) but I must ask...

...am I the only one reading this who can't help but think of the movie The Wedding Planner, when J-Lo's character (at work) is informed that she won the pool on how long a particular client's marriage would last, and she replies that they chose song X for the first dance, which puts them solidly in the [insert time range here] bracket?

Now I have to find it. Or rent the movie.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
Went to a wedding this weekend, and thought all their choices were lovely. The bride and groom's first dance was "You Were Meant For Me" from Singin' in the Rain.... that did cause me a moment of eyebrow raising. Not that the song isn't perfect (especially for this couple), but because of the back story of that number. Gene Kelly got so frustrated at Debbie Reynolds inexperienced dancing that he blew up at her and left her crying, curled up underneath a piano. Fred Astaire happened upon her and showed her how to do her dance, and everything went fine from there... but I can never hear that song without thinking of the usually classy Gene Kelly yelling.

The father-daughter dance started out as "Butterfly Kisses", then changed to the Star Wars Cantina Song, which was wonderful.

HonorH

« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »
Went to a wedding this weekend, and thought all their choices were lovely. The bride and groom's first dance was "You Were Meant For Me" from Singin' in the Rain.... that did cause me a moment of eyebrow raising. Not that the song isn't perfect (especially for this couple), but because of the back story of that number. Gene Kelly got so frustrated at Debbie Reynolds inexperienced dancing that he blew up at her and left her crying, curled up underneath a piano. Fred Astaire happened upon her and showed her how to do her dance, and everything went fine from there... but I can never hear that song without thinking of the usually classy Gene Kelly yelling.

The father-daughter dance started out as "Butterfly Kisses", then changed to the Star Wars Cantina Song, which was wonderful.

I love the idea of Fred Astaire just dropping in whenever someone needs an inspirational music/dance number. You'll be glad to know Gene Kelly later apologized, and he and Debbie Reynolds were great friends until his death.

The Star Wars Cantina Song is a classic ragtime number. You could Charleston to it.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

mmmchocolate

« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
OK, I'm only on page 9, and I know this discussion was years ago, but Angel by Sarah McLachlan is played at funerals because it's about escaping your pain and demons in this world and being comforted in the arms of an angel. It was written for Johnathan Melvoin, who, yes, OD'd on heroin in a hotel room. However, it's about finally finding peace.

Sorry, had to get that out.  :)

Actually, the angel in this song refers to heroin.  She talked about it in an interview years ago.

blueyzca01

« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
OK, I'm only on page 4 of this thread (so far) but I must ask...

...am I the only one reading this who can't help but think of the movie The Wedding Planner, when J-Lo's character (at work) is informed that she won the pool on how long a particular client's marriage would last, and she replies that they chose song X for the first dance, which puts them solidly in the [insert time range here] bracket?

Now I have to find it. Or rent the movie.

I Honestly Love You by Olivia Newton-John

At my reception this past November, we deliberately played U2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, so see if anyone whould notice.  We were both cracking up like a couple of loons when it came on, so everyone noticed.   You couldn't help but laugh.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

illusionmajik

« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »
I was worried about ours, but seeing some of the postings here, I don't feel as bad.  Granted we never had a 1st dance at a reception because we eloped.
But when we got home from the courthouse, hubby put this song on and we danced in the living room together.  Just us.

It was:
Don't Fade Away by Dead can Dance
I think the lyrics work, especially for us.

Don't fade away, my brown-eyed girl
Come walk with me, i'll fill your heart with joy
And we'll dance through our isolation.
Seeking solace in the wisdom we bestow
Turning thoughts to the here and ever after
Consuming fears in our fiery halos

Say what you mean, mean what you say
I've heard that innocence has led us all astray
But don't let them make you and break you
The world is filled with their broken empty dreams
Silence is their only virtue
Locked away inside their silent screams

But for now, let us dance away this starry night
Filled with the glow of fiery stars
And with the dawn our sun will rise
Bringing a symphony of bird cries

Don't bring me down now, let me stay here for awhile
You know life's too short, let me bathe here in your smile
I'm transcending the fall from the garden
Goodnight.

We just hit 9 years in December.  We're planning a big anniversary party on year 13 (Hey! It's lucky!)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
I'm so happy this thread came up in the things-that-would-lead-to-a-restraining-order-IRL thread, now that I'm planning my own wedding. I need to remember to look to the Muppets for music ideas! :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

emwithme

« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
I can't understand when people have "Careless Whisper" by George Michael (or was he still part of Wham! then?)  It's about a bloke who's feeling guilty that he's cheated!

My wedding was only last September (4 months and 2 days ago already...eek!) and I must admit that I chose the music - but did get DH's approval.  He's not musical at all (despite having attended a Cathedral school with a worldwide reputation for musical excellence) and I am. 

The music playing before the ceremony was taken from Mr Holland's Opus. 

I walked down the aisle to the piano version of Minuet in G Major by Bach (or Christian Petzold).  This was chosen because DH and I married on my mum's birthday - mum died when I was 16.  I had been taught this piece on the piano by a cousin for my mum's birthday when I was 5.  For me, it was a nice way of having her there, walking me down the aisle. 

We walked out to "Lovers Concerto" by The Toys.  As anyone who has seen Mr Holland's Opus knows, this is the same tune as the Minuet in G Major. 

When we were signing the register, a friend sang "Better than a Dream" by Katie Melua.  I was having a lazy morning in bed one day with the radio on and sleepily heard this wonderful song! 

Our first dance was to "You're in my Heart" by Rod Stewart.  We didn't have an "our song" but the lyrics just sum up how I feel about DH perfectly. 

We ended the night by dancing to "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton.  I just love this song, and always said I'd have it at my wedding. 

BarensMom

« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2013, 10:54:12 PM »
Emwithme, you know that "You're in my Heart" is about football(soccer)?

JennJenn68

« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
Since it's such a long thread, I haven't yet managed to go through the whole thing, but I'm wondering if anyone has pointed out the obvious yet?

I'm a church organist; have been on and off since I was eighteen.  (I'm in my forties now.)  It never ceases to amaze me how many brides insist on marching down the aisle to the music from "Lohengrin" ("Here Comes The Bride") by Wagner.  I suppose it's traditional, but anyone who's actually familiar with that opera would know how horribly inappropriate that particular music is for a "proper" wedding.  (At least two churches that I've played at have steadfastly refused to allow it to be played.  I don't judge; I just play 'em.  If the bride wants it and the minister allows it, I'll play it.  Even the "Taco Bell" Canon, which frankly bores me into insensibility so badly that it's all I can do not to fall asleep in mid-performance.)

I also call to mind Robert Heinlein's take on the traditional Mendelssohn recessional:  "Exactly like the cackle of a hen that has just managed to lay an egg!"  I almost lose it now every time I play it.

The weirdest thing I've ever been asked to play at a ceremony?  "Slave to Love" by Roxy Music.  (My brother's wedding.  I draw the curtain of charity over the ongoing horror of their twenty-plus year marriage--what can you say of a couple that only stay married because they can't afford to divorce?  Sad.)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2013, 01:22:30 AM »
OK, dish on "Here comes the bride"!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2013, 02:04:54 AM »
OK, dish on "Here comes the bride"!

Well, it's a procession to the bridal chamber, so that would have been seen inappropriate. Also, it was a piece for theater, and many churches thought that was making a mockery of holy marriage.

The whole thing about him being one of Hitler's favorite composers didn't help Wagner's image either, though it was hardly his fault.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter