Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 86800 times)

nuit93

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2013, 04:10:12 PM »
I could never figure out why couples use Pachelbel's Canon in D for procession music.  Yes, it's pretty--but the poor cellist!

(If you haven't seen Pachelbel's Rant, I can't recommend it enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)

JacklynHyde

« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
My brother wrote and played the music for my ceremony (he was on our great-grandfather's mandolin and his best friend played acoustic guitar).  Only other specific song planned was "Unforgettable" by Nat King and Natalie Cole, used for the father / daughter dance.  I was VERY mindful of this conversation as I planned things.

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
I could never figure out why couples use Pachelbel's Canon in D for procession music.  Yes, it's pretty--but the poor cellist!

(If you haven't seen Pachelbel's Rant, I can't recommend it enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)

I had that in my wedding because my ex loved it, but when I was growing up, Pachelbel's Canon was used for years in ads for a local substance-abuse rehab center. So I did phone my father to explain why the [Center name] music was going to be in my wedding!  :)
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

HET

« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
When I walk up the aisle to marry my DF, it will be to a piano-only arrangement by a former keyboardist for Journey, who somehow combined "Don't Stop Believing" with "Here Comes the Bride." It's nice and short and really lovely.

After we are pronounced husband and wife, we're going to have the DJ crank up the chorus of "Don't Stop Believing" because we are totally corny and cheesy. And because it's my first marriage and I'll be a couple months over age 40 when we marry. And I'm just a small town girl and he's just a city boy, after all!

I think our first dance might be to Cheap Trick's "I Want you to Want me" because that's DF's favorite band other than the Ramones and I vetoed dancing to the Ramones for our first dance.  ;D

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
OK, dish on "Here comes the bride"!

Well, it's a procession to the bridal chamber, so that would have been seen inappropriate. Also, it was a piece for theater, and many churches thought that was making a mockery of holy marriage.

The whole thing about him being one of Hitler's favorite composers didn't help Wagner's image either, though it was hardly his fault.

Well, I would assume it's more the part where the groom ditches the bride (because she asked what his name was) and then she dies of grief that JennJenn is referring to.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »
My BF & I just decided the other night that, should we ever get married, we must have our first dance be to the John Prine duet "In Spite of Ourselves" :-) We just both like the sweet, campy, disfunctional whimsy of the lyrics.  Unfortunately, I don't know the lady's name who joins him in this song... Hate not giving credit where due, but I can't search and type simult. on my mobile...
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2013, 12:01:18 AM »
My BF & I just decided the other night that, should we ever get married, we must have our first dance be to the John Prine duet "In Spite of Ourselves" :-) We just both like the sweet, campy, disfunctional whimsy of the lyrics.  Unfortunately, I don't know the lady's name who joins him in this song... Hate not giving credit where due, but I can't search and type simult. on my mobile...
The lady's name is Iris DeMent. . .

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »
Thank you :-)
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »

DH's cousin and new wife danced to that at their wedding two years ago, it was cute, and suited them to a t!

CLE_Girl

« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I wanted to add my wedding songs:

We had a classical guitarist for our ceremony music -

Processional:
Groom: Finally found a Love of a lifetime by Firehouse
Bride: 1,2,3,4, I love you by the plain white T's

Recssional: God only knows by the beachboys

The recessional song would have been our first dance if we had dancing (that or Only fools Rush in by Elvis).

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »
I dance in flash mobs, and I did one recently for a marriage proposal.  We did Pitbull's "Give Me Everything" which has a pretty chorus, but a friend told me later it's about a one-night stand.  Eat to start a future together!

GSNW

« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
What about when people pay attention to only part of the lyrics?  DH and I had our first dance to Edwin McCain's "I'll Be," which to me, is a song about making promises to be there for each other.  I still get misty-eyed when it comes on the radio!  But this part of the chorus:

I'll be your crying shoulder,
I'll be love's suicide
I'll be better when I'm older,
I'll be the greatest fan of your life.

Caused one of my aunts (Fern, incidentally, if you read about her lovely email) to ask my Grandma, "Why are they dancing to a song about SUICIDE?!"  My Grandma and I giggled about it later!

I have been to a few weddings where the HC danced to Boyz II Men's "End of the Road."  That is a breakup song, but it's a great song!

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2013, 09:51:03 PM »
I actually almost did this. Not for a wedding, but I only heard the chorus to the Goo Goo Doll's "Slide", which I thought sounded really romantic.

Then I looked up the rest of the words and found out it was a song about teenagers from strict Catholic homes trying to decide what to do about an unplanned pregnancy  :-[

DistantStar

« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »

I can't recommend finding a cellist to watch this with enough.  It was sent to me by a dear friend who was one.  It's fall-on-floor funny!

stormyskies

« Reply #224 on: May 07, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »

I can't recommend finding a cellist to watch this with enough.  It was sent to me by a dear friend who was one.  It's fall-on-floor funny!

Hahaha I love that rant:"When you walk to school with a cello you're like a wounded gazelle on the Serengeti"

My sister (a vocalist) assures me that ALL musicians hate Pachelbels Canon, not just the cellists. Anything that is played over and over again eventually acquires a certain punitive effect  :P