Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 89215 times)

BB-VA

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »
(If you haven't seen Pachelbel's Rant, I can't recommend it enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)

I can't recommend finding a cellist to watch this with enough.  It was sent to me by a dear friend who was one.  It's fall-on-floor funny!

So is Rockelbel's Canon:

http://youtu.be/LV5_xj_yuhs
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #226 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:12 AM »
There are two unconventional/obscure songs that (when) DP and I can get legally married, I want played. Yes, we've had two small wedding ceremonies. No, that doesn't mean that I can't have a 'real' one when it's legal, and darn it, I want one where I don't have to do anything but be the bride on my wedding day for once!

One is the James Taylor song "New Hymn" - http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/james+taylor/new+hymn_20069195.html
It's sort of an invocation to all the power of the world - God, science, love, life. Makes me cry, often, hearing it - it's just so powerful.

The other one is really light hearted, and lovely, and was what I thought of when DP gave me my engagement ring. She had a really hard time affording anything, and then stumbled into a sale and was able to buy me *two* of the same ring (it's a tiny eternity set, 1/4 carat total each, but with two soldered together it goes from 'tiny ring' to something really magnificent - a metaphor for marriage if I've ever heard one!). It's called "Cracker Jack Ring", by a family friend, Pierce Pettis. http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/lyricsdetail.php?lyrics_id=50719

My favorite part?

"I worked a whole year Ė toil, sweat and tears, and I sold my red Trans Am,
Baby, I donít mind Ė Iíd do it anytime, just to put that ring on your hand,
Itís just a little stone, and donít think I donít know you could do a lot better than me,
Iím such a lucky guy and, baby, that is why that ainít no cracker jack ring."

Redsoil

« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »
A couple of people thought one of our wedding songs in the church was a bit strange:

Plaisir D'amour

The joy of love is but a moment long;
The pain of love endures a whole life long.
Your eyes kissed mine; I saw the love in them shine;
You brought me heaven right then when your eyes kissed mine.
My love loves me, and all the wonders I see;
A rainbow shines in my window; my love loves me.
But now he's gone, like a dream that fades into dawn,
But the words stay locked in my heartstrings, "My love loves me."
The joy of love is but a moment long,

...and I suppose to some it would be a bit maudlin.  However, it was an acknowledgement that love isn't just sunshine and roses, that marriage was about the pain of love, and enduring, as well.  Plus, we'd had a long-distance relationship for the first year, so knew the pain of missing someone when they were away.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #228 on: June 04, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
A couple of people thought one of our wedding songs in the church was a bit strange:

Plaisir D'amour

The joy of love is but a moment long;
Your eyes kissed mine; I saw the love in them shine;
You brought me heaven right then when your eyes kissed mine.
My love loves me, and all the wonders I see;
A rainbow shines in my window; my love loves me.
But now he's gone, like a dream that fades into dawn,
But the words stay locked in my heartstrings, "My love loves me."
The joy of love is but a moment long,

...and I suppose to some it would be a bit maudlin.  However, it was an acknowledgement that love isn't just sunshine and roses, that marriage was about the pain of love, and enduring, as well.  Plus, we'd had a long-distance relationship for the first year, so knew the pain of missing someone when they were away.

Well, "Plaisir d'amour" is also a French song which is about a man singing about his ungrateful love, Sylvia, because she took another lover. I could understand why people might be confused for that reason, but I think that the song you used is lovely. I'm glad you could find something you both loved.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Anyanka

« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »
When we got married in a British regisrty office, we were told we could have any song not normally played in a religious setting as our tune and I  so wanted to play "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath..

Fortunatly good taste got the better of me.
Even Vengence Demons have feelings

Rapunzel1974

« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2013, 01:15:36 AM »
Worst aisle entrance song I ever heard: "Lady Marmalade".  It's basically about a man who is successfully solicited by, well, a lady of the first profession.  There are some pretty explicit lyrics but they're in French.

I kind of sat there with my eyes bugging out, thinking: "sweet cherry tomatoes!  Please let me be the only person in this hall who understands French!"  If I wasn't, nobody else let on.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
Oh sweet heavens! I would be so trying not to burst into hysterical laughter!

Nothing like walking down the aisle to music boldly soliciting.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lollylegs

« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »
My cousin and his wife chose 'Baby Got Back' for their first dance because, to use their words, it was a song that followed them throughout their relationship - it was playing the first time they met, when my cousin asked her out, in the car on their first date. It was fun watching them try to slow dance to it!

Bethczar

« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
My cousin and his wife chose 'Baby Got Back' for their first dance because, to use their words, it was a song that followed them throughout their relationship - it was playing the first time they met, when my cousin asked her out, in the car on their first date. It was fun watching them try to slow dance to it!
There is a mellow, slow version of it - can't remember who sings it. I heard it one night as background music at a bar/restaurant. I kind of like it.  ;D

lollylegs

« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2013, 02:15:44 AM »
There is a mellow, slow version of it - can't remember who sings it. I heard it one night as background music at a bar/restaurant. I kind of like it.  ;D

That sounds really great! I'll have to look that one up, thanks.

JacklynHyde

« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
There is a lounge version of it done by Richard Cheese.  He does lounge versions of some of the most insane music imaginable.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
(If you haven't seen Pachelbel's Rant, I can't recommend it enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)

I can't recommend finding a cellist to watch this with enough.  It was sent to me by a dear friend who was one.  It's fall-on-floor funny!

Hahaha I love that rant:"When you walk to school with a cello you're like a wounded gazelle on the Serengeti"

My sister (a vocalist) assures me that ALL musicians hate Pachelbels Canon, not just the cellists. Anything that is played over and over again eventually acquires a certain punitive effect  :P
Coming from a school with a stronger-than-average traditional music program (we have very large banjo, fiddle, and mandolin classes), it doesn't get as strong hate here simply because when was the last time you ever heard Pachelbel's Canon on the banjo? Though now I kind of want someone to do that...

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkphRouMbBg
A less painful version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGL96G5Ai-w

Auryn Grigori

« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2013, 03:42:36 AM »
Jonathon Coulton. He is awesome. He also did a song called "I'm Your Moon." It was based on the whole Pluto not being a planet thing, with Charon consoling the no longer planet

Auryn Grigori

« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2013, 03:47:15 AM »
One of the weirdest songs I have ever hear for a wedding (this one in Glee, and the show has a habit of inappropriate songs) was Bruno Mars' "I Think I Wanna Marry You." To me, a song about getting married because you have nothing better to do is a bit odd. "It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do, hey baby, I think I want to marry you." What every woman wants to hear as a proposal. >:D

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2013, 05:37:37 AM »
Jonathon Coulton. He is awesome. He also did a song called "I'm Your Moon." It was based on the whole Pluto not being a planet thing, with Charon consoling the no longer planet
If you like unusual cover versions of songs, John Cheese does lounge singer covers of alternative/rock/rap/metal songs. They are... odd.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)