News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 26, 2015, 08:21:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 338895 times)

Allyson

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #2850 on: May 20, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »
That leads me to another peeve--the idea that all teens everywhere smoke, drink, and commit crimes and/or are terrible to each other. Sure, some do, but often it feels like books come out that do this and have a feel of "we're just showing reality!" And it's not just recently, either! I remember this being the case when I was in high school--every so often there'd be a book, TV show or movie that would do this and claim to be "reality" unlike those other books that sugar-coat it! "No really, today's teens are the worst" has been being said for a long, long time and it's never been true for everyone so I doubt it's true now either.

mlogica

« Reply #2851 on: May 20, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
So...I am laughing inside because the other day I picked up a book at my gym (the members' lounge has a shelf of books that functions as an informal mini-exchange), and it hits several of the common mentions in this thread:

1.  Main character is a woman, who is:  awesome lawyer, beautiful, athletic, loved by her team, etc.  She's so perfect, she can wear a light coloured silk sheath dress on an overnight flight, and drive directly to a meeting after getting off the plane, and still look fabulous.

Whereas in real life that dress would be creased as heck and probably have red wine spilled on it.

No kidding.  Having recently completed an overnight trans-Atlantic flight, I have even less ability to imagine this particular plot point making any sense at all.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #2852 on: May 20, 2015, 05:38:18 PM »
Personally, I believe that the style of YA fiction in which a girl is dissatisfied with her family life, experiments with hard drugs and enters a life of degradation can be traced back to 'Go Ask Alice'. 

This was originally presented as a 'true story' and was a cautionary tale that every teen-aged girl must read.  It was later shown to be a work of fiction but the damage was done and the YA novels started coming out.

'Go Ask Alice' and "The Outsiders' were both assigned reading when I was in school.  They started a wave of copies, all hoping to be the next big teen book.

Oh yeah, I remember both of those.

Go Ask Alice I remember as being "stupid" but I don't remember why. The Outsiders just broke my 13 year old heart.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Mergatroyd

« Reply #2853 on: May 20, 2015, 05:47:13 PM »
I hated the Outsiders. The Fringe wasn't much better (and it's nothing to do with the TV show.)

andi

« Reply #2854 on: May 20, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »
"Go Ask Alice" scared the snot out of me. I seriously think it kept me from trying drugs - I didn't want to wind up like that. (Plus it was 7th grade and the whole thing was very "taboo", the book made its rounds hidden in folders)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2855 on: May 20, 2015, 11:24:56 PM »
Romance stories, that turn out to be heavy on the smut then hurtle towards the happy -ever only to be abruptly halted with a conflict and then 'to be continued' all in the last page. Uh, in my English class, conflict is meant to go in the middle of the story not the end. (hook-> conflict-> conclusion like a mountain in the middle, not hook-> multiple scrabble scenes-> conflict-> no conclusion but buy my next book!)
I only finished reading the book because I wanted to see how the authour managed to tie up all the weird wandering strands of storyline. They didn't. Authours, if you want to create a series, your main character must be more interesting than just being enthusiastic about scrabble and do something other than the man candy. I have no reason to purchase another book to read more of the same drivel when you've just shown you can't be counted on to reach any kind of conclusion that doesn't involve a big O.
I hate wasting my time. Will they or won't they romances that go on for multiple books require an alternate plot, like a mystery the main character also solves or danger or oceans eleven style theft, so that the reader wants to buy the next book to find out what kind of trouble they got into now.. If it is going to be all about scrabble, then it can't be vanilla scrabble.  >:(

One of my forays into reading urban fiction ended a lot like this.  For two hundred pages, the heroine laments that she is ugly despite the fact that she isn't at all.  She plays scrabble with one guy after another (because apparently these guys will play scrabble with any old critter that walks by, despite the fact that they all are described as being handsome and well off thanks to their various nefarious dealings with controlled substances).  In the last twenty pages or so we discover that her best friend has been the cause of her lack of self esteem issues (she's been talking the heroine down behind her back and setting her up for every fall she ever took).  Friend is then murdered by mystery killer--as well as the heroine's family.  Heroine finally falls in love with another guy, a close family friend who is also very well to do from his dealings in those uncontrollable substances.  And now she is about to have a baby with him and they are getting married (last five pages of the book) and wouldn't you know, HE is the one who killed her best friend AND her family for not appreciating what a treasure she is.

You would assume there's another hundred pages or so of her running like crazy to get away from him, but no, she says "I am about to marry the man of my dreams and I will just have to worry about these little things tomorrow."

Sorry, Scarlett, the man is a stonecold killer!  Run!  Get out while you can!  And while you are at it, how about looking for a guy who isn't selling illegal substance for those who self medicate? 

Indeed, pretty much ever one that has ever been recommended to me is the same:  girl falls for drug dealer and runs his business while he is in prison or steals the business from him so she and her new lover can make money.  The only time someone turned the genre on its head was in the story of a stripper who had fallen for a dealer...and by the tine she was so in love that they were planning to get married--he admits that he is an undercover cop.  They DO marry and she goes to college to become a lawyer and it should have just stopped there because it was a fun romance without too much bad scrabble of any flavor.  But the author had to revisit them and threaten the heroine's family if she didn't agree to go back to her old "job".

What I would also like to know is:  why, with all the various jobs there are to study for, to all former gangster molls, strippers and ladies of the evening decide to go into law enforcement?  (Catherine Willows springs to mind, but so do half a dozen other characters whose names I don't remember.)  None of them ever become rocket scientists or engineers or computer technicians.  Nope.  They all become police officers or lawyers.  Never seems to help their ex boyfriends, though.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #2856 on: May 20, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »
Yarnspinner, even that story had more plot line than the one I read!

I think the switch to law enforcement is meant to highlight the whole law-enforcement-is-front-lines thing (so they can make the most change by going there!) which its true it is, but pretty sure one can't have a criminal record to get any of those jobs.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2857 on: May 21, 2015, 12:33:40 AM »
What I would also like to know is:  why, with all the various jobs there are to study for, to all former gangster molls, strippers and ladies of the evening decide to go into law enforcement?  (Catherine Willows springs to mind, but so do half a dozen other characters whose names I don't remember.)  None of them ever become rocket scientists or engineers or computer technicians.  Nope.  They all become police officers or lawyers.  Never seems to help their ex boyfriends, though.

Maybe it's sort of how children of hoarders often either become hoarders themselves, or minimalists?  There's a tendency to live your life in reaction to what you've lived so far, either embracing or avoiding/fighting it.  I'm so curious about the title of that one you mentioned now, too!
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 4 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2858 on: May 21, 2015, 02:36:13 AM »
Romance stories, that turn out to be heavy on the smut then hurtle towards the happy -ever only to be abruptly halted with a conflict and then 'to be continued' all in the last page. Uh, in my English class, conflict is meant to go in the middle of the story not the end. (hook-> conflict-> conclusion like a mountain in the middle, not hook-> multiple scrabble scenes-> conflict-> no conclusion but buy my next book!)
I only finished reading the book because I wanted to see how the authour managed to tie up all the weird wandering strands of storyline. They didn't. Authours, if you want to create a series, your main character must be more interesting than just being enthusiastic about scrabble and do something other than the man candy. I have no reason to purchase another book to read more of the same drivel when you've just shown you can't be counted on to reach any kind of conclusion that doesn't involve a big O.
I hate wasting my time. Will they or won't they romances that go on for multiple books require an alternate plot, like a mystery the main character also solves or danger or oceans eleven style theft, so that the reader wants to buy the next book to find out what kind of trouble they got into now.. If it is going to be all about scrabble, then it can't be vanilla scrabble.  >:(

One of my forays into reading urban fiction ended a lot like this.  For two hundred pages, the heroine laments that she is ugly despite the fact that she isn't at all.  She plays scrabble with one guy after another (because apparently these guys will play scrabble with any old critter that walks by, despite the fact that they all are described as being handsome and well off thanks to their various nefarious dealings with controlled substances).  In the last twenty pages or so we discover that her best friend has been the cause of her lack of self esteem issues (she's been talking the heroine down behind her back and setting her up for every fall she ever took).  Friend is then murdered by mystery killer--as well as the heroine's family.  Heroine finally falls in love with another guy, a close family friend who is also very well to do from his dealings in those uncontrollable substances.  And now she is about to have a baby with him and they are getting married (last five pages of the book) and wouldn't you know, HE is the one who killed her best friend AND her family for not appreciating what a treasure she is.

You would assume there's another hundred pages or so of her running like crazy to get away from him, but no, she says "I am about to marry the man of my dreams and I will just have to worry about these little things tomorrow."

Sorry, Scarlett, the man is a stonecold killer!  Run!  Get out while you can!  And while you are at it, how about looking for a guy who isn't selling illegal substance for those who self medicate? 

Indeed, pretty much ever one that has ever been recommended to me is the same:  girl falls for drug dealer and runs his business while he is in prison or steals the business from him so she and her new lover can make money.  The only time someone turned the genre on its head was in the story of a stripper who had fallen for a dealer...and by the tine she was so in love that they were planning to get married--he admits that he is an undercover cop.  They DO marry and she goes to college to become a lawyer and it should have just stopped there because it was a fun romance without too much bad scrabble of any flavor.  But the author had to revisit them and threaten the heroine's family if she didn't agree to go back to her old "job".

Pretty sure we just found a story worse than a certain vampire series....