News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 04, 2016, 06:08:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 7636879 times)

MissRose

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #34890 on: May 02, 2016, 06:17:02 AM »
I'd like to nominate a special snowflake on the telephone, and add that manners work wonders when there are problems.

We had a major power failure in the area a few weeks back. I found the power number, called the network and let them know, they confirmed what was going on and said that since they knew I was in they'd try to put an emergency fix in to our end of the street until they could fix the main fault. I thanked them profusely and went out for a bit. On the way I heard a neighbour a few houses away, outside on her mobile, having an appalling and loud go at the power company for not immediately restoring her power, including the line "Do you know who I am?" (to which I really hope the answer was 'No'). I got back thirty minutes later to find I had power back on, and a missed call saying they'd re-routed it to us.

Her house didn't get power until the afternoon. I can't help but think phone manner may have been involved.

I wish some of the customers I talk to that have a go at us when things are not restored super quick especially when services go down due to power outages or weather.  Trust us, we want stuff up like yesterday but we are not yelling at our techs or outside places like the power company as some things are restored quickly, other things are not especially if the issue is a complex one.  I did not yell at the power company the few times power got lost after some wind storms but I was tempted - it was a good thing there was an automated system to make reports instead of tying up a rep's time.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #34891 on: Yesterday at 05:40:30 PM »
I was just at a pharmacy, and overheard a woman being testy with a cashier because there were no fresh vegetables for sale.  What makes this really ironic is that just a short distance away, in the same shopping center, is a Safeway.   

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #34892 on: Yesterday at 07:20:38 PM »
We just spent 5 days at Disneyland and it had the usual clueless people stopping in the middle of a crowded path to discuss where they wanted to get dinner, or whether Johnny really needed to go to the bathroom. (Trust me, he does. There's one 40ft behind you. Why don't you step aside and use it, rather than stopping right in front of us?) In fact it seemed to be less than the usual number despite heavy crowds on the weekend. I don't think any of us got slammed in the ankles by a small child pushing their own stroller. Well, there was the woman who kept trying to walk up Mrs.k2002's back while in line; sorry ma'am but we can't make it go any faster!

There were two things that stood out, though.

First, on Friday there were a lot of middle school (11-13yo) musical groups performing over the weekend and were enjoying some free time in the park. Most were pretty well behaved. We ran into one group that wasn't. On the Haunted Mansion they talked all through the intro and the stretching room; loud enough that you couldn't hear the narration. Then on the ride, some girls decided that they needed to scream. The. whole. way. through. This isn't a ride that's terribly scary. So, nobody could hear the music or the sound effects. Once, during a stop, some boys from their group yelled across the way to be quiet, which only encouraged them more. Unfortunately, this group wasn't wearing school shirts, or I would have let their administration know. Or lectured them about the fact that some people there had been saving up for years and that might be their only opportunity in their life to visit the HM, only to have it ruined by kids who could think only of their own kind of fun. Not to mention that these kids would have been very upset by people disrespecting their performance, but thought nothing of disrespecting the artists, writers, engineers and musicians who made the HM what it is.

Monday night we went out for a fancy dinner at Napa Rose. This is a very elegant restaurant, but one that treats everyone well, whether you're wearing a suit and tie, t-shirt and shorts or a princess costume with high-top tennis shoes. Our dinner went well until a woman was seated at a nearby table. She reeked of perfume. I was at least 10 feet away and could smell it clearly. I had to switch seats with Mrs.k2002 because she was closer and was having a reaction to the perfume, despite having taken an antihistamine earlier. While I'm all in favor of people doing things that make them feel good, there are limits and bathing in perfume is one of them. Fortunately, we were 3/4 of the way through our meal so it didn't last too terribly long.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #34893 on: Today at 02:45:20 AM »
Apparently we are now calling the most recent Houston 100 Years flood the Tax Day flood (last years 100 Years flood was the Memorial Day flood)

So Friday after the Tax Day flood I came home to a now flooded yard. It wasn't flooded before. The cause became clear a group of teenagers watching younger kids while parents were at work (schools and most day cares in area shut down for a week) had decided to beat the heat by having a water fight in a neighboring yard. I told them what was happening. They shut down the fight and apologized. - Not the Special Snowflakes

I came inside and my internet was still working. I know this because my phone buzzed when I passed my Ring doorbell, my nest switched to home, and my philip hue lights came on as I walked in the door. A few minutes later no internet. Call them they decide my modem is out. I rush to the store before they close get a new one. It doesn't work. Call back - there is a 2 hour outage. 2 hours later no internet. Call back. Oh your area is back on. More checking - the problem is outside your house we have to set up an appointment for May 13 (this is April 29th) Ok major damage after a flood I'll cope. Also light goes off. When I bought the house I specifically asked about problems during TS Allison. The couple said they had no trouble during the storm but afterwards while the ground was still saturated they had let their toddler play in a splash pool and dumped it in a corner of the yard only to find out there is a Box there that has to do with the internet and shorted it out. Same corner that got flooded by the waterfight.

Teenager's parents came over Saturday. They apologized for the kids asked if there was damaged. I explained what had happened. Upshot. After comcast fixes the problem we are all going to look at this junction of our 3 yards and see if we can make it drain better. The parents have offered to cover overages on my cell phone data plan. No SS there.

Xfinity has a hot spot that works ok late at night. But slows down during the day. I've been going to the library to do some work, download podcasts, download Amazon video to my Ipad. This is were I ran into the SS. There are two libraries about equal distance from my house one is attached to a community college and has longer hours. The other is my neighborhood one. This woman is at both. She flipped out on my yesterday because I was wasting wifi watching netflix while working on a couple different things. She was a tax payer and didn't want to pay for me to watch TV. The librarians had to threaten her with security, and confirmed I was doing nothing wrong. Our library wifi is pretty robust and if I notice a problem I shut down any video. I'm an ESL volunteer at the library and they have no problem letting me know if there is a problem.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #34894 on: Today at 12:10:39 PM »
Re the woman at KHerbert's library who was complaining about how she was using the wifi:  None of her business, unless KH was being obnoxious in some other way, e.g. playing it loud.  I'm a reader, and I've had the "reading police" tell me I was either not supposed to be reading in that environment (a restaurant) or expressing displeasure at my choice of reading material.     

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #34895 on: Today at 01:28:27 PM »
Re the woman at KHerbert's library who was complaining about how she was using the wifi:  None of her business, unless KH was being obnoxious in some other way, e.g. playing it loud.  I'm a reader, and I've had the "reading police" tell me I was either not supposed to be reading in that environment (a restaurant) or expressing displeasure at my choice of reading material.   

Just like people chastising me for reading stuff for school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! while at lunch. Anthropology texts with bones, criminal psychology serial killer books with booking pictures (no scene pictures). No, I'm not accountable to you. Leave me alone.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #34896 on: Today at 02:00:59 PM »
Apparently we are now calling the most recent Houston 100 Years flood the Tax Day flood (last years 100 Years flood was the Memorial Day flood)

So Friday after the Tax Day flood I came home to a now flooded yard. It wasn't flooded before. The cause became clear a group of teenagers watching younger kids while parents were at work (schools and most day cares in area shut down for a week) had decided to beat the heat by having a water fight in a neighboring yard. I told them what was happening. They shut down the fight and apologized. - Not the Special Snowflakes

I came inside and my internet was still working. I know this because my phone buzzed when I passed my Ring doorbell, my nest switched to home, and my philip hue lights came on as I walked in the door. A few minutes later no internet. Call them they decide my modem is out. I rush to the store before they close get a new one. It doesn't work. Call back - there is a 2 hour outage. 2 hours later no internet. Call back. Oh your area is back on. More checking - the problem is outside your house we have to set up an appointment for May 13 (this is April 29th) Ok major damage after a flood I'll cope. Also light goes off. When I bought the house I specifically asked about problems during TS Allison. The couple said they had no trouble during the storm but afterwards while the ground was still saturated they had let their toddler play in a splash pool and dumped it in a corner of the yard only to find out there is a Box there that has to do with the internet and shorted it out. Same corner that got flooded by the waterfight.

Teenager's parents came over Saturday. They apologized for the kids asked if there was damaged. I explained what had happened. Upshot. After comcast fixes the problem we are all going to look at this junction of our 3 yards and see if we can make it drain better. The parents have offered to cover overages on my cell phone data plan. No SS there.

So nice that you and the teenager's parents are able to work together on a solution!  True neighborliness!

CrabbyAppleton

« Reply #34897 on: Today at 03:33:49 PM »
Hats of to the lady at the grocery store today who decided that instead of unloading her groceries on the belt like this:

XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

she should do it like this:

X X X X X X X X X X X X

taking up the entire space and keeping the rest of the people in line from moving.

A good friend is like a good bra...  Hard to find, comfortable, supportive, and always close to my heart.