News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 23, 2017, 04:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 196218 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #1155 on: July 07, 2017, 06:27:50 AM »
I tackled my jewellery the other day. I went through all the stuff on top of the dresser, tidied it up and thought "Hmm, this is all okay, no change needed." The next day I realised I had failed to address the overflowing draw of items in boxes. So thinks look tidier but the problem remains! I didn't do what the KonMarie method says - put all the items in the same place. Will try again next session :-)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1156 on: July 07, 2017, 08:19:46 AM »
I went on a cruise the end of last month - I used some clear elastic to make a band that went behind my ears & under my hair in back to hold the hat on (directions on a website run by a lady who likes dressing in 1940s vintage clothing - she was showing the "period" ways to hold a hat on - combs on the hat band, hat pins, hat elastic, and bobby pins on the hat band).

Neither Mom nor I lost our large floppy white picture hats that shaded our faces and parts of our shoulders - whether on the ship nor on the shore excursion.  I may need to starch the danged hat brim, it kept flopping in front of my face so that all I could see was the hat!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

gmatoy

« Reply #1157 on: July 09, 2017, 02:23:36 AM »
I am on a decluttering streak!
Top of triple dresser? Done!
Top of microwave ? Done!
Next to microwave? Done!
The stack of stuff at the end of the sofa? Done!
The end table next to my recliner? Done!

I've been going through my recipe collection. I've been going through my cookbook collection. I'm so tired! But tomorrow? I'm going at it again!

VorFemme

« Reply #1158 on: July 09, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
I got rid of all those old AOL installation disks...I was going to do something crafty with them...but...realized after a decade that if I haven't gotten that "round tuit" yet, I probably never will.  Trash...

I did keep a couple of the cuter tin or wood containers, though...

I have always resisted getting rid of computer operating system disks and the program installation disks - it came in handy the relatively few times that I had to do a computer recovery starting with the OS and continuing through every single program...but three times in almost 20 years is a lot of clutter for not much return.

So I have gotten rid of the install disks for computers that we no longer own - the ones that came with Windows 2000, ME, or earlier.  And the programs that won't run on anything before XP.  As long as Windows 7 works and has a compatibility with XP option, I'm keeping the rest of them...for a while longer.  I do have a plastic bin that they all fit into (miniature milk crate just the right size for optical disks in sleeves or holders) and they are now neatly stored instead of stacked in random places around the office.  (This is only *my* computer stuff - I have no idea where the rest of the family might have stored/hidden/lost their various install disks, or if if they ever burned them from the recovery partition....).

Three more shopping bags of trash in the last two days - so progress has resumed on the sewing studio aka my "home office" - but my pace has slowed down a bit.  I'm sorting scraps of paper with notes on them, computer disks, notebooks full of idea (keep or trash - what is that "rough sketch" supposed to be, anyway?), and odds & ends in shopping bags that got put down and apparently forgotten...

I even did  a little work on the top of my dresser this morning - I'd mislaid the charger for my cell phone and I *needed* it!

gmatoy

« Reply #1159 on: July 10, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
Good work VorFemme!!

I got the quilt made for my new grandson! It is pieced, quilted and has the binding on! It will be given to him today. That counts as a sewing what I own and 1 bag out!

L

« Reply #1160 on: July 10, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »
I have cleaned out my bookcase and discovered to my astonishment that I had more than twice as many books as I thought, nearly 500. This weekend, using Apartment Therapy's weekend project I separated them into "yes" and "no" piles. I kept 119 books and the rest were piled by the kitchen door. Last night I put a bunch in my trunk, thinking I'd drop them off at my favorite thrift store at lunch. But the store refused any more after the first six. So I ended up calling a few co-workers and inviting them out to the trunk when I left work to choose what they wanted. And they loved it! A couple of them called it "Christmas."

I made myself take the rest of the books, probably about 300, out to the trunk after work. It is stuffed. Tomorrow, those same co-workers get another shot at all these fine art, fine art photography and (primarily) nonfiction. And the kitchen is clean and wonderful.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1161 on: July 12, 2017, 11:21:32 AM »
I was on vacation the week of the 4th through this Monday. In the past, I've generally taken a staycation, and spent several days doing stuff at home, including decluttering. This time, I was gone from the Sat before the 4th until the Wed after, then busy with other stuff. So for a moment, I was a bit disappointed I didn't get anything done.

However, in the course of just straightening up, i got distracted by the shopping bag full of paper I throw everything into, to be gone through at a later date. So I did that. And filed what needed to be filed, but wait, as I keep my files in one of those plastic storage bins, so I needed to purge there. So i got rid of all my 401K statements from previous years, because really? Who cares how much it was worth in 2010; i only want to know the value today! And my various health ins. election options. Again, all I care about is what I have here and now.

I then had two bags of shredding. All of which I did, emptying the shredder four times, and finally, taking all of it out to the dumpster, and the catalogs and magazines to the recycle bin. So I felt better about things after I got that done.

lorelai

« Reply #1162 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »
Took a bunch of clothes to a place that recycles fabric, and saved some good clothes for a friend's clothing swap this weekend. Also did all of my linens, giving away towels to the animal shelter. They wouldn't take bedsheets but my housecleaner did.

My housecleaner is always super grateful for any food/household items so I gathered up a bunch of pantry items/sheets for her and baby stuff that she takes to her church.

Our attached garage is completely clutter free and my housecleaner helped me clean it out. I can't believe how clean it is and how nice it feels to drive into a clean garage.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1163 on: July 12, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »
My mom has also been decluttering. I gave her back a vacuum that works better for her than the one she has, which cleared up space in my closet, and then she went through hers to make room for it, and in the process, found some more stuff she could get rid of!

MOving from a house to an apt really helped too! What's funny is where she is now, a retirement community, in a good sized 1BR apt, she really has quite a bit of storage. But the two other apts in her bldg which were both vacant, are being combined into one larger 2BR, with its own W/D. She previously shared one in the main hall with both other apts.

What's funny is there are two storage closets in that hall as well, one for each other apt, but she was wondering if maybe they might offer her one, depending on what ends up in the new 2BR. she was hemming and hawing, and I said, if they ask, take it, as you can always give it back, but might not be able to get it after the fact. She wsan't sure she had anything to put in it as she has plenty of space already, but we figured she could find something.

gmatoy

« Reply #1164 on: July 21, 2017, 12:48:59 AM »
I have been working on decluttering my house and would like to report that you can now walk from the door to the window in the sewing/guest room. The top of my dresser has been cleared for almost a month. I cleaned off the microwave cart. And I am working on reading down my very large stash of books. I have been working on clearing out my over abundance of clothing and went through my dresser and got rid of a ton; however, my drawers were still packed. So two weeks later, I did it again.

I've been giving everything to my very good friend to give away on her buy nothing group. She then reports back to me about how grateful people are to get the books, clothes, patterns, etc. And that is positive reinforcement to keep working on the project of "all clutter out."

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1165 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:30 AM »
Going to donate a bunch of hangers to our camp, and going to move all the renovation materials into the garage, so I can use one of the hall closets for linens when we have guests, and one of the others for dry cleaning and coats.
We'll be down to one room with boxes after this weekend.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1166 on: July 21, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
I need to tackle my closets this weekend. Its a domino effect; I have a giant WIC in my BR, a decent sized linen closet, and a pretty large one in my LR. Which for a 1 BR apt is pretty good. I recently got rid of a vacuum and large box of accessories, so now I have some more space. And my BR closet is close to overflowing. So my plan is to tackle the LR, get that organized, and maybe even get rid of some things, and move some things I had in my BR back into the LR closet.

I also packed away a lot of out of season clothes in space bags, and need to find somewhere to put them. I'm thinking in my giant suitcase i use maybe once a year. And I need to purge my wardrobe again. I just have way too many clothes.

THe linen closet isn't contingent on the other two, but it needs a good organizing.

VorFemme

« Reply #1167 on: July 21, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »
I got rid of a bag of books to Mom & Lil Sis last month - they picked out one or two each to take on the cruise we went on, then Mom flew home with her selection.  Lil Sis has the rest at her house - where they will be read & passed around or donated (and I can hope that they don't come back to me!).

I ended up with a couple of duplicate digital readers (what can I say - people know what I like & don't always realize that I might already have one - or I bid on two on eBay & "win" both unexpectedly).  I'm trying to give them away on FreeCycle for MyCity - the people contacting me off the MyCity post live in OtherCity and don't want to drive an hour or so to get to my house...

Which is why I originally posted it to MyCity's Freecycle and not to OtherCity or even LargerMetropolitanArea2HoursWide.  But I did find someone on a mailing list who wants one of them...reminds me, I need to finish wrapping it & print out a mailing label.

These two are "too good to be threw" (name of a thrift shop I saw a few years ago) and the battery life is too good to recycle them.  I've gotten "my money's worth" out of using them, more or less.  I'm happy to share the gift of reading...digital books are easy to change to a larger font.  Carrying a magnifying glass or reading glasses is possible - but I personally can't move from the chair until I switch from the reading glasses to the bifocals - looking around in the reading glasses gives me a headache.