Author Topic: Moving Support  (Read 1175 times)

otterwoman

Re: Moving Support
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
I remember reading a book by a comedic writer (Catholic woman with eight or nine children - in the 1980s, it was not Erma Bombeck but I don't remember her name) where she mentioned that their single easiest move (eight or nine children) was the one where she & the kids were in a storm shelter with the dog, her husband was downtown with one vehicle, and a tornado flattened the house...not much salvaged from the wreckage afterward.

They moved into the new house with a couple of suitcases of clothing bought at the local charity thrift shop, the one vehicle that her DH had been driving, and a check from their insurance company for the furniture, clothing, second car, and everything else lost to the tornado in her purse (from the charity thrift shop). 

They  had been staying in a friend of the family's lake house for a couple of weeks while waiting on the insurance company.

I read that book over thirty years ago (DD wasn't born yet) and I still remember thinking that a suitcase or two, a purse, and a check really was about as simple a move as you could get. 

I don't remember if they'd negotiated for some of the furniture in the house that they were buying to be included or not...this was the early 1980s when I read the book.

"I Should Have Seen It Coming When the Rabbit Died", Teresa Bloomingdale. They had ten kids. I have all of her books!

demarco

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
I used to tell people that I've moved thirteen times but I just added it up and realized it was really fifteen times. I can remember each move in vivid detail. Eleven were long distance moves, the rest were local (across town or to a neighboring town). Four of them involved buying houses. By move 12 or so I had it down to a science. Each step was written out  in a notebook with timelines and lists. I was seriously considering writing a book about it.  Some of the funniest books I've ever read about domestic life are those about moving and I'd still like to give it a try.

Every move presented its own series of unanticipated disasters. Despite my special notebook and my smug attitude, the worst move was number fifteen. 

Too much stuff is a recurrent theme in the moves. More than once I've turned to DH as the moving van pulls out with our things and said, "I don't care if I ever see any of that stuff again" and he agrees.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
I remember reading a book by a comedic writer (Catholic woman with eight or nine children - in the 1980s, it was not Erma Bombeck but I don't remember her name) where she mentioned that their single easiest move (eight or nine children) was the one where she & the kids were in a storm shelter with the dog, her husband was downtown with one vehicle, and a tornado flattened the house...not much salvaged from the wreckage afterward.

They moved into the new house with a couple of suitcases of clothing bought at the local charity thrift shop, the one vehicle that her DH had been driving, and a check from their insurance company for the furniture, clothing, second car, and everything else lost to the tornado in her purse (from the charity thrift shop). 

They  had been staying in a friend of the family's lake house for a couple of weeks while waiting on the insurance company.

I read that book over thirty years ago (DD wasn't born yet) and I still remember thinking that a suitcase or two, a purse, and a check really was about as simple a move as you could get. 

I don't remember if they'd negotiated for some of the furniture in the house that they were buying to be included or not...this was the early 1980s when I read the book.

"I Should Have Seen It Coming When the Rabbit Died", Teresa Bloomingdale. They had ten kids. I have all of her books!

Wonderful - now I can check for more of her books!
++++++++++++++++

Just added a few to the Wish List - I leave Tuesday for almost two months and the guys do not check the front porch for deliveries...and I get back before Christmas, so they'd be fun to find under the tree...or whatever I do with less than ten days, four of them in San Antonio with a mini-family reunion...followed by traveling on Christmas Eve...decorating the house is really low on the priority list this year.

I'll see if VorGuy & VorSon do any before I get back, with photos of the latest DGS (due early December - but family history predicts a November birthdate is more likely).

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:29:47 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
Maybe I should have posted this thread under I need a hug. We just found out there is a problem with the building we fell in love with, and there is a very good chance we will have to live elsewhere.  :'(

On the brighter side, technically, our house isn't even officially listed yet, but we have already had one showing, with another scheduled for this evening.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »
Maybe I should have posted this thread under I need a hug. We just found out there is a problem with the building we fell in love with, and there is a very good chance we will have to live elsewhere.  :'(

On the brighter side, technically, our house isn't even officially listed yet, but we have already had one showing, with another scheduled for this evening.

It may be a blessing in disguise. We looked at multiple places before deciding on our place and one that we really liked had major structural issues within a year. The facade is still supported with wood beams three years later, due to poor foundation work.

mandycorn

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »
I spent almost 9 months looking for my current place. I have no idea how my real estate agent didn't throttle me, but she was very patient. And I was definitely looking outside of my price range at the beginning, which resulted in me putting in offers at three different places at almost $40k below the asking price, because that was what I could afford. The good news is that because I spent so long looking I was able to save up more money for the down-payment, so I paid very nearly the asking price on the place I bought and it's practically perfect and still within my budget!

On the down side of moving, my sister and brother in law are moving from an apartment to renting a house three and a half blocks away, and they're renting both places for the rest of this month, so their moving is dragging out for the full length of the month. They're fed up with the whole process already, and they still have a ton of smaller things at the old place to pack up and move. So my take away from that one is to keep the moving process as short as possible. Stretch out the packing and unpacking if necessary, but when you have help move it all as quickly as possible, or it will be never-ending.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 09:06:37 PM »
I have moved about 15 (including one across the country) or so times and have it down to a fine art. I can pack Thursday and Friday, help the removalist (mostly by pointing) load and unload on the Saturday, and be moved in by Sunday.

Until the last move a few months ago. Settlement on the new house got held up. So instead of settling on Friday, moving over the weekend and handing the rental back on the Wednesday, we got to move all our stuff (excluding a mattress and a fridge) into storage on the Friday, and camp in the rental until the Tuesday when the settlement went through. Dodging cleaners/gardeners the whole time.

Then we got to move the mattress and fridge to the new place and camp there until we could get everything else the next weekend from storage by ourselves with a hire trailer. We couldn't afford 2 lots of removalists. Both DH and I were working full time during this too.

Honestly, it was the worst move we ever had. So my tips for the OP are:

1. Leave plenty of time for settlements - have at least a week of overlap. Not too long though or it will just seem never ending.

2. Hire professional cleaners for the old place - so much easier than coming back and doing it after you have spent all day moving.

3. Have an 'emergency crate' - Toilet paper, dish cloths, a set of plates/cups/cutlery, kettle, coffee/tea/pet food/sheets for the bed on the first night

4. Hire movers!!! Can't stress this one enough

5. Purge and clean as you purge stuff

6. Have one little box for your TV remotes/ tv cords/phone chargers/ipad charger/e-reader, etc and have this in the car with you.

7. Pack dishes/fragile items wrapped in your linen and clothes. Much less mess unpacking than newspaper

I am sure there are more tips, but I think they are the main ones...

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 11:30:11 PM »
Thanks, some excellent advice.  We won't be able to overlap, due to financial considerations, but I am happy to report our house sold before it was on the market for 2 full days, which eliminates the obstacle to buying our dream place.  :)

Now we just have to finalize the purchase and make all the arrangements. Oh, and move.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 11:57:59 PM »
Congratulations on the sale!

Packing really isn't all that bad I don't think. A great opportunity to go through and eliminate some junk!

I also recommend having your phone/tablet/camera handy as you pack. If you find something to get rid of, take a photo and list it on Craigslist or a Facebook selling site as you go - makes life so much easier.

That's one more thing to look into if you are on Facebook. I don't know about where you are, but most places have a local Buy, Sell, Swap group. it can make getting rid of all those odds and ends so much easier. You may want to look into joining one.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #24 on: Today at 07:00:12 AM »
We are lucky. Our neighbourhood has a thrift store, a clothing drop box and and informal version of Freecycle where everything you put on the curb will find a home somewhere.  :)

We are putting an offer on what we hope will be our new place today.
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

blueyzca01

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:25:16 PM »
I heard a joke by comedian George Wallace..something along the lines of “Instead of having prisoners just sit in a jail cell, we should make them move (house), unpack, move onto the next house, pack everything, move again, unpack…ad nauseam.  No one would ever commit a crime again.”
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.