News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 21, 2017, 02:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 704521 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2415 on: Yesterday at 12:41:33 AM »
I got the impression that she didn't register.  She was admitted and paid her fee but never got back to BeagleMommy to actually register.

And she would not have been able to register anyway, as she paid post-deadline. So she pays well after the deadline, and just shows up to class. Even if she had tried to register, she would have to go through BeagleMommy, who would have told her she had to wait until spring.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2416 on: Yesterday at 08:53:24 AM »
Background:  Our Fall semester began on August 28, but students can register for a few days after the start date.  New students confirm their admission by paying a confirmation fee.  Once I am notified the student has paid the fee I contact them to assist with registration since new student must register using a paper form (they haven't been given a student account yet).  On August 29 I email all the students who have not confirmed their admission to let them know the last day they will be able to register for Fall is September 5.  I put a copy of this email in their student file. End background.

Today, I get a call from our registrar that Professor B turned in her attendance sheet with an additional name written on it but they have no record of this student.  I look up the student in question and discover she paid her confirmation fee on September 13.  That's eight days after the deadline to register.  How she decided to attend this particular class is anyone's guess.

I contact Professor B and tell her the student cannot take any more of the class because she never registered.  Then I email the student to let her know she confirmed after the deadline and can no longer attend the class.  She must wait until the spring semester (January).  Her confirmation fee will carry over.

Student calls and says she doesn't understand why she can't continue.  I explain again.  She claims she doesn't believe she got the original email telling her the deadline (funny how she got today's email that was sent to the same address).  She feels she should be given an exception since she's already attending the class.

It's in my director's hands now.  He is telling her she has to stop attending until spring.

It's like herding cats.  By the way, this is a graduate level program.

I may be misreading this (or you may have purposely omitted details), but it sounds to me like the student registered, paid (albeit late), and has been attending class with the professor's permission? Is there a reason she can't continue, beyond "you were late?" I'd be pretty peeved if it were me and I was told I had to wait with no other explanation  :-\

Admission and registration are two different things.  A student can't just decide to show up to a class because they want to take it.  You have to go through a registration process to join the class.

So the student in question paid the admission fee late and then just decided to show up to a class without actually registering for it. 

TurtleDove

« Reply #2417 on: Yesterday at 09:00:57 AM »
I got the impression that she didn't register.  She was admitted and paid her fee but never got back to BeagleMommy to actually register.

And she would not have been able to register anyway, as she paid post-deadline. So she pays well after the deadline, and just shows up to class. Even if she had tried to register, she would have to go through BeagleMommy, who would have told her she had to wait until spring.

I assume her fee was returned to her? I don't know that I grasp what "she was admitted" means here. If she was provided with some sort of indication that she was admitted, and the school keeps her fee, I would be pretty peeved too.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2418 on: Yesterday at 09:02:45 AM »
Being admitted to a university/college and being admitted to a program are very different things from being registered for a course.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2419 on: Yesterday at 09:41:03 AM »
Background:  Our Fall semester began on August 28, but students can register for a few days after the start date.  New students confirm their admission by paying a confirmation fee.  Once I am notified the student has paid the fee I contact them to assist with registration since new student must register using a paper form (they haven't been given a student account yet).  On August 29 I email all the students who have not confirmed their admission to let them know the last day they will be able to register for Fall is September 5.  I put a copy of this email in their student file. End background.

Today, I get a call from our registrar that Professor B turned in her attendance sheet with an additional name written on it but they have no record of this student.  I look up the student in question and discover she paid her confirmation fee on September 13.  That's eight days after the deadline to register.  How she decided to attend this particular class is anyone's guess.

I contact Professor B and tell her the student cannot take any more of the class because she never registered.  Then I email the student to let her know she confirmed after the deadline and can no longer attend the class.  She must wait until the spring semester (January).  Her confirmation fee will carry over.

Student calls and says she doesn't understand why she can't continue.  I explain again.  She claims she doesn't believe she got the original email telling her the deadline (funny how she got today's email that was sent to the same address).  She feels she should be given an exception since she's already attending the class.

It's in my director's hands now.  He is telling her she has to stop attending until spring.

It's like herding cats.  By the way, this is a graduate level program.

I may be misreading this (or you may have purposely omitted details), but it sounds to me like the student registered, paid (albeit late), and has been attending class with the professor's permission? Is there a reason she can't continue, beyond "you were late?" I'd be pretty peeved if it were me and I was told I had to wait with no other explanation  :-\

Admission and registration are two different things.  A student can't just decide to show up to a class because they want to take it.  You have to go through a registration process to join the class.

So the student in question paid the admission fee late and then just decided to show up to a class without actually registering for it.

Just to clarify:  admitted means we have accepted their application.  They must pay the confirmation fee before they are allowed to take classes.  Once the fee is paid, I contact them to provide the paper form and let them know which classes they need for the semester.  Their completed form is sent to the registrar for processing.  Once the form is processed the student will receive an invoice for tuition.  They can register online for subsequent semesters.  This student never responded to my email and never filled out the form so she was attending a class for which no tuition could be billed.  I suspect she had a friend taking the same class and just assumed this was what she needed.

lilfox

« Reply #2420 on: Yesterday at 12:31:29 PM »

Since grad level classes are typically small, the professor probably noticed there was an extra student who wasn't on the registered student list and added the name since it appeared (to the professor) to be an oversight.  But the student would still not be officially registered for the class, or able to register for any classes.

Hillia

« Reply #2421 on: Yesterday at 02:27:52 PM »

I assume her fee was returned to her? I don't know that I grasp what "she was admitted" means here. If she was provided with some sort of indication that she was admitted, and the school keeps her fee, I would be pretty peeved too.

The OP mentioned that the fee will carry over to next semester, assuming that the student has figured out how to read her email and follow rules by then.

DanaJ

« Reply #2422 on: Yesterday at 04:06:24 PM »
Just to clarify:  admitted means we have accepted their application.  They must pay the confirmation fee before they are allowed to take classes.  Once the fee is paid, I contact them to provide the paper form and let them know which classes they need for the semester.  Their completed form is sent to the registrar for processing.

Having recently been back at school, this is all clear to me. I paid my application fee and was re-admitted to the Good Manners Program at the University of eHell for some additional courses to upgrade my degree. That meant that, yes, my application was accepted and I was allowed to return to school. It did not mean I was signed up for any courses.

Enrolling/registering for specific courses is a different process. If I miss the drop/add deadline for "Etiquette 101", then I am not enrolled in that course and have to wait for the next time the course is available (next term or next year).

The course enrollment deadline is important because it determines what your course load may be (full-time or part-time), how much tuition you pay, and your eligibility for financial aid. That deadline can not be missed or extended because adding a course afterwards would be an administrative nightmare for all those other things.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2423 on: Yesterday at 04:39:02 PM »
Not to mention how much coursework you would have missed would likely make keeping up quite a challenge.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture