News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 01, 2015, 11:15:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 328446 times)

dawnfire

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #1815 on: March 14, 2015, 09:19:33 PM »
I remember one of my professors joking about keeping a log, and if you're missing class for the funerals of more than two parents or four grandparents you would be asked to explain.

Why am I suddenly hearing an episode of MASH playing in the background?

Henry Blake: The father dying, right?

Klinger: Yes, sir.

Henry Blake: [takes out a stack of papers and reads them] Father dying last year. Mother dying last year. Mother AND father dying. Mother, father, and older sister dying. Mother dying and older sister pregnant. Older sister dying and mother pregnant. Younger sister pregnant and older sister dying. Here's an oldie but a goodie: Half of the family dying, other half pregnant.

Henry Blake: Klinger, aren't you ashamed of yourself?

Klinger: Yes, sir. I don't deserve to be in the Army.

:D I was thinking that exactly

Jocelyn

« Reply #1816 on: March 14, 2015, 09:28:59 PM »
There is an article published in a scholarly journal about the periodic mortality of grandparents of undergraduates. There is a statistically significant probability that grandparents will die during midterms or finals, rather than at other times in the semester, and grandparent mortality goes up over the course of the semester.

HorseFreak

« Reply #1817 on: March 14, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »
All three of my remaining grandparents and a great uncle actually did die while I was in grad school and my father had a minor stroke. I'm pretty sure they stopped believing me though I did offer to bring in death certificates or obituaries with my name listed. I did not attend two of the burials as they were out of state, but I did go to the local services. People lying about such terrible things just makes it harder for those of us in the uncommon position of multiple losses in a short period.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1818 on: March 14, 2015, 10:02:22 PM »
There is an article published in a scholarly journal about the periodic mortality of grandparents of undergraduates. There is a statistically significant probability that grandparents will die during midterms or finals, rather than at other times in the semester, and grandparent mortality goes up over the course of the semester.

The Dead Grandmother/Exam Syndrome  This is published int he "scholarly journal" Annals of Improbable Research.  This is published by the same people who give out the Ig Nobel Prizes. The Annals is "packed with genuine, improbable research culled from more than 20,000 science, medical, technical and academic journals. We also publish original research, and some concoctions." The author determined that "A studentís grandmother is far more likely to die suddenly just before the student takes an exam than at any other time of year." He also suggested three solutions: 1) Stop giving exams. 2) Allow only orphans to enroll at universities. 3) Have students lie to their families. [Family members worry about a student's performance, "likely to result in high blood pressure, leading to stroke and heart attacks."] Students must explain their long absences by pretending they are in the armed forces, have joined some religious cult, or have been kidnapped by extraterrestrials.

A Rutgers University professor wrote a follow up: A Preliminary Report on an Intervention Designed to Reduce Grandmother Death Resulting From College Exams. According to his follow up, "the main intervention -- simply informing students that, if they miss the main exam they could  take [a] brutal essay makeup -- dramatically reduced the  grandmother mortality rate."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1819 on: March 14, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
I remember one of my professors joking about keeping a log, and if you're missing class for the funerals of more than two parents or four grandparents you would be asked to explain.

Henry Blake: [takes out a stack of papers and reads them] Father dying last year. Mother dying last year. Mother AND father dying. Mother, father, and older sister dying. Mother dying and older sister pregnant. Older sister dying and mother pregnant. Younger sister pregnant and older sister dying. Here's an oldie but a goodie: Half of the family dying, other half pregnant.

This is the first time that I've had M*A*S*H as an earworm in decades...last time it was the theme song.  This time, it's the above.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

otterwoman

« Reply #1820 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »
All three of my remaining grandparents and a great uncle actually did die while I was in grad school and my father had a minor stroke. I'm pretty sure they stopped believing me though I did offer to bring in death certificates or obituaries with my name listed. I did not attend two of the burials as they were out of state, but I did go to the local services. People lying about such terrible things just makes it harder for those of us in the uncommon position of multiple losses in a short period.

I had three grandparents and my father die within a six month period. However, I wasn't a student at the time. Unlucky for me, my employer did not give bereavement for grandparents.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1821 on: March 14, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »

yeah...in 2006 I had 3 members of my family die in 3 weeks, each died 1 week apart.  Basically we would be at a funeral when we got news that yet ANOTHER family member died.  I don't like September all that much anymore.

Magpy

« Reply #1822 on: March 15, 2015, 01:04:21 AM »
I had three grandparents die within a short time of each other years ago.  When I told my employer I had to miss a day for my grandpa's funeral, he said he didn't believe me because I had told him my grandpa died a few months before.  I started crying (couldn't help it) and said "I had two!" 

He looked embarrassed, and dropped it.  I made sure to bring him a copy of the funeral program.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1823 on: March 15, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »

The Dead Grandmother/Exam Syndrome  This is published int he "scholarly journal" Annals of Improbable Research.  This is published by the same people who give out the Ig Nobel Prizes. The Annals is "packed with genuine, improbable research culled from more than 20,000 science, medical, technical and academic journals. We also publish original research, and some concoctions." The author determined that "A studentís grandmother is far more likely to die suddenly just before the student takes an exam than at any other time of year." He also suggested three solutions: 1) Stop giving exams. 2) Allow only orphans to enroll at universities. 3) Have students lie to their families. [Family members worry about a student's performance, "likely to result in high blood pressure, leading to stroke and heart attacks."] Students must explain their long absences by pretending they are in the armed forces, have joined some religious cult, or have been kidnapped by extraterrestrials.

A Rutgers University professor wrote a follow up: A Preliminary Report on an Intervention Designed to Reduce Grandmother Death Resulting From College Exams. According to his follow up, "the main intervention -- simply informing students that, if they miss the main exam they could  take [a] brutal essay makeup -- dramatically reduced the  grandmother mortality rate."
No, that's not what I meant- I realize that Annals of Improbable Research is made up.
I was referring to a true scholarly report, apparently inspired by the anecdotal observation of a professor that this 'phenomenon' existed, and he researched the timing of reports, and indeed, it's not just one of those urban legends, students DO use it as an excuse to get out of major exams.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1824 on: March 15, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »

yeah...in 2006 I had 3 members of my family die in 3 weeks, each died 1 week apart.  Basically we would be at a funeral when we got news that yet ANOTHER family member died.  I don't like September all that much anymore.

I realize it can happen. But, as you pointed out, it happened in September, a month in which students typically don't need to get out of their work. In a large enough sample, you'd see grandparents dying throughout the year, or at least in the same pattern as elderly people are dying in general.I'm willing to consider that elderly people may be more likely to die at some times in the year than at others; I've heard that January is a peak month, because of rallying to have one more Christmas with the family. But there's no logic that there would be one pattern of timing of deaths among seniors in general, and another in grandparents of college students, as a real pattern, that is.

jolyan

« Reply #1825 on: March 15, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »

This is the first time that I've had M*A*S*H as an earworm in decades...last time it was the theme song.  This time, it's the above.

The first 5 seasons are on Netflix. I'm on my second run thru already.

nuit93

« Reply #1826 on: March 16, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »

I had three grandparents and my father die within a six month period. However, I wasn't a student at the time. Unlucky for me, my employer did not give bereavement for grandparents.

When my grandfather died, the funeral mass and burial were on separate days.  My boss at the time gave me a hard time about wanting to attend both.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1827 on: March 30, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »