News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 29, 2016, 10:31:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Household help request  (Read 3862 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Household help request
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
This should be in the Stupid Questions thread, but: if the stuff she used sticks like that, and made the bathwater that blue, is your loo a deep shade of blue the whole time?
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
This should be in the Stupid Questions thread, but: if the stuff she used sticks like that, and made the bathwater that blue, is your loo a deep shade of blue the whole time?

If you use it properly, no. You flush, squirt the stuff and let it sit for a while. Then you come back with a brush and scrub it a bit, then flush again. That should rinse almost all of it out. So this cleaner first used a product for cleaning things that it wasn't intended to clean, then failed to rinse it well, which is part of the "proper use" of the product.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »

If you use it properly, no. You flush, squirt the stuff and let it sit for a while. Then you come back with a brush and scrub it a bit, then flush again. That should rinse almost all of it out. So this cleaner first used a product for cleaning things that it wasn't intended to clean, then failed to rinse it well, which is part of the "proper use" of the product.

Also, even if it *is* sticking to the bowl of the toilet, that's not a place where people usually put their hands (or other exposed skin)

Chez Miriam

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »

Ah, got it.  I'm just so used to toilet cleaners that don't really stick, and don't remove limescale that the thought of one that really works is quite exotic!  I use the formic acid cleaner when I can't stand seeing the limescale any longer [usually takes a couple of years for it to build up, and is only on the bit around the bend that you can just see/can't brush very easily], but that's a liquid that needs to be left overnight.

Thanks for the explanation.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

jpcher

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
atirial -- it's unclear in your last update whether or not you explicitly told the agency what the problem was. They do have to know that what their agent did was a health hazard.
To clarify, they were told outright, and again in writing, when I cancelled the appointments. They were very keen in their reply to stress that their cleaners were "independent agents" and they could not be held accountable.  I am really not impressed. (After a week of getting daily reminders to leave a Yelp review, they are also suddenly less keen for me to do that...)

And no, we wouldn't ask her back after some of the other things that surfaced when we were clearing up.

Thanks for the clarification, atirial.

The bold above makes it even more important that you do leave a review on Yelp or even on their own web-page (which will probably be deleted :-\)

Posting photos of the blue tub along with explaining exactly what you've told us here is not rude. In your review, I would even include their response.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
Since you have the "independent" cleaner's information, have you contacted her directly?
"After all this time?"
"Always."

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
Since you have the "independent" cleaner's information, have you contacted her directly?
I didn't because I wasn't supposed to have her number, and all contact was supposed to go through the agency (and because I'd rather she didn't try to fix it). I should have, because she turned up this morning. The agency had not told her I had cancelled with them last week.

The yelp review will be scathing. 

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
And of course you'll be posting a link to it here, yes?  Enquiring minds will want to read it. >:D

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »

Ah, got it.  I'm just so used to toilet cleaners that don't really stick, and don't remove limescale that the thought of one that really works is quite exotic!  I use the formic acid cleaner when I can't stand seeing the limescale any longer [usually takes a couple of years for it to build up, and is only on the bit around the bend that you can just see/can't brush very easily], but that's a liquid that needs to be left overnight.

Chez Miriam, I don't know if it's available in the UK, but I use a Clorox-brand bowl cleaner specifically formulated for mineral stain/build-up. It works wonders on my toilet. On the other hand, Mom can't use anything containing chlorine in her water, because it makes the stains worse. She uses Lysol products instead.

Bijou

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
I don't think I would be using vinegar.  Bleach and vinegar = chlorine gas.
No. That's bleach and ammonia. Very bad.

Chigger was correct. Bleach + acid (vinegar) = chlorine gas

Bleach + ammonia = chloramine gas (though it sounds like chlorine gas forms along the way to that).

Not that I'm a chemistry whiz - far from it - this is google at work.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/HealthyHome/Contaminants/BleachMixingDangers

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Vinegar.htm
I knew about mixing ammonia and bleach being a deadly problem,  but not vinegar and bleach.  I use vinegar for cleaning all the time, so thank you so much, Psychopoesie and Chigger, for the information!!!!

I had to get my chemistry book out (been awhile) but mixing bleach with a strong acid, HCl (hydrochloric acid), will release dangerous chlorine gas.  Mixing bleach with a weak acid, acetic acid (CH3COOH) commonly known as vinegar does NOT.  Plus, the vinegar readily available from the store is not concentrated; it is usually only about 10% acetic acid.

Sodium hypochlorite reacts with hydrochloric acid to release chlorine gas:

NaClO + 2 HCl → Cl2 + H2O + NaCl

It reacts with other acids, such as acetic acid, to release hypochlorous acid:

NaClO + CH3COOH → HClO + CH3COONa
Thanks for the info, but I'm still gong to err on the side of caution and keep my vinegar and bleach separate from one another.  .
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
I didn't because I wasn't supposed to have her number, and all contact was supposed to go through the agency (and because I'd rather she didn't try to fix it). I should have, because she turned up this morning. The agency had not told her I had cancelled with them last week.

The yelp review will be scathing.

When she turned up, did you tell her how dangerous her actions were?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Chez Miriam

« Reply #56 on: Today at 03:27:30 PM »

Chez Miriam, I don't know if it's available in the UK, but I use a Clorox-brand bowl cleaner specifically formulated for mineral stain/build-up. It works wonders on my toilet. On the other hand, Mom can't use anything containing chlorine in her water, because it makes the stains worse. She uses Lysol products instead.

Thanks, Writer of Wrongs - I found Clorox on Amazon, which is not cheap, but would be worth a go.  The Lysol I might wait [and see if the Clorox works OK], as some of the sellers on Amazon/eBay seem to be 'having a laugh' with their pricing...  $143 for 32 oz?  Seems crazy!  Another one wants $160 Shipping.

OK, so there are some cheaper ones listed, but I'll try the Clorox first.  :)