Author Topic: Ridiculous Warnings.  (Read 10454 times)

Asharah

Re: Ridiculous Warnings.
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
I was sitting quietly off by myself, testing my blood sugar. 

Colleague (both of us in health care) spotted me, zoomed over and snapped, "Specky!  Where are your gloves!?"   :o
How would you poke your finger?  ;D
Asharah

Jocelyn

« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »
I was sitting quietly off by myself, testing my blood sugar. 

Colleague (both of us in health care) spotted me, zoomed over and snapped, "Specky!  Where are your gloves!?"   :o
How would you poke your finger?  ;D
It's possible to test by sticking your forearm. I find it a lot more of a hassle than using a finger stick. But yes, the idea that one could endanger oneself by handling one's own blood, is pretty odd.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »
Not an entirely ridiculous warning. I found it pretty darn funny...

http://cheezburger.com/8288955904
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »
Not an entirely ridiculous warning. I found it pretty darn funny...

http://cheezburger.com/8288955904

And applicable to children as well as pets.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
True.  A wet cat who's upset can find all kinds of places to hide, usually after rolling on your bed.  And it's amazing how much of a mess a 6 pound cat can make rolling on a double bed.

Two guesses as to how I know this.

Jocelyn

« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
Four secrets of bathing cats:
1. Close the bathroom door behind you and the cat.
2. Run the tub full of water before putting the cat in it, and have a plastic dish nearby. A sopping wet cat is a demoralized cat. A half-wet cat will fight to the death to avoid becoming a sopping wet cat. Drop cat into tub, and use the plastic dish to ladle more water over him until he is sopping wet.
3. Either clip claws BEFORE you start, or put a thick towel in the tub, so the kitty will dig his claws into the towel. With any luck, his claws will stick, which diminishes his ability to wriggle, and keeps him from getting a paw loose to claw YOU.
4. If it's cool weather, towel dry your cat, then pop him into a carrier. Use a 1960s era soft bonnet hair dryer (the kind that stretched to go over curlers) to finish drying kitty: put the bonnet over the door, and turn it on. It's much quieter and the air flow is lighter, so it doesn't frighten a cat like a modern blow dryer does. It just fills the carrier with warm soothing air, and keeps kitty warm as he dries (rather than having him hide under the furniture in a draft.)

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »
This might have been brought up, but my favorite, packets of peanuts that have the label, warning, may contain peanuts.....NO, REALLY!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »
This might have been brought up, but my favorite, packets of peanuts that have the label, warning, may contain peanuts.....NO, REALLY!

That had to do with food labeling laws. It's  called The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act.  The top eight allergens must be listed.   That's milk, wheat, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, and fish.

As someone that cannot have half of those, I'm very appreciative, even if some of them seem a bit silly.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

daen

« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »

That had to do with food labeling laws. It's  called The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act.  The top eight allergens must be listed.   That's milk, wheat, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, and fish.

As someone that cannot have half of those, I'm very appreciative, even if some of them seem a bit silly.

I understand that. I just wish they'd use Contains Peanuts instead of May contain peanuts. I would think that's something one can be sure of, and it seems much more logical to me.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »
I still remember hearing about someone trying to hand a diabetic who was allergic to peanuts some packaged cheese crackers...with peanut butter filling (protein) to keep their blood sugar up.

Apparently there was a missing step in their logic process that there were going to be peanuts in peanut butter - because they were acting as if peanuts and peanut butter had nothing in common....

I'm still scratching my head over that one years later...

Because it just doesn't make sense to me that anyone wouldn't realize that if a person was allergic to peanuts - they are going to have an allergic reaction to peanut butter, too.  Same substance, different texture - no difference in allergic response from the immune system....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:24:13 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »

I understand that. I just wish they'd use Contains Peanuts instead of May contain peanuts. I would think that's something one can be sure of, and it seems much more logical to me.

I agree.  When I read the words "May contain peanuts" it sounds like it isn't supposed to have peanuts in it, but there's a slight possibility there might possibly be some.

Asharah

« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2014, 01:10:26 AM »
I still remember hearing about someone trying to hand a diabetic who was allergic to peanuts some packaged cheese crackers...with peanut butter filling (protein) to keep their blood sugar up.

Apparently there was a missing step in their lock process that there were going to be peanuts in peanut butter - because they were acting as if peanuts and peanut butter had nothing in common....

I'm still scratching my head over that one years later...

Because it just doesn't make sense to me that anyone wouldn't realize that if a person was allergic to peanuts - they are going to have an allergic reaction to peanut butter, too.  Same substance, different texture - no difference in allergic response from the immune system....
Well, they have a story somewhere about a grandmother who can't wrap her head around the idea that her lactose intolerant grandson can't eat things she's cooked with butter or cheese in them.
Asharah

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
How about this one
http://goo.gl/6XdNwg Don't dive into the wading pool.

I was told about a warning like this from someone who used to work for a company who made the pools. Apparently they had to add it after someone, yes, dove from the roof of their house into the wading pool, with predictable (to most of us) results. The lawsuit cost millions.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
Well, they have a story somewhere about a grandmother who can't wrap her head around the idea that her lactose intolerant grandson can't eat things she's cooked with butter or cheese in them.

My friend is like this!  My daughter is a vegan, which my friend knows.   I had a party, and Friend brought a huge home-made apple cheesecake for dessert.  When I thanked her profusely (it looked delicious), Friend said proudly "And (Daughter) can eat it, too!"  I said in bemusement "Um, no, she can't."  "Sure she can!"  "I'm afraid not."  "Why not?"  "Because it has cheese ... "  "Oh.  Vegans can't eat cheese?"

And this isn't a case of someone mixing up vegans with vegetarians, or not knowing what vegans can/can't eat.  She's a very intelligent lady, but sometimes she has brain farts.  :)