News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 23, 2017, 08:03:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My heart was in the right place, but... OOPS!  (Read 899 times)

GardenGal

My heart was in the right place, but... OOPS!
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »
It's so frustrating when you try to do something good but make a mistake and it all goes sideways!  Or when a relative or friend does something meaning well but what happens is neither intended nor positive.  You know your heart, and theirs, was in the right place, but the end result was not a good one, and sometimes makes matters worse.  Do you have a story to share?  I'll start.

My very sweet DIL doesn't eat a few foods I commonly use as ingredients.  Recently I made a salad and left off one ingredient I knew she didn't like.  However, I included another one she disliked, too.  Fortunately, she was very polite and because it wasn't a tossed salad she was able to avoid the particular food she didn't eat.  I did try, I just missed the mark.

Yesterday I asked DH to cut down a weed tree that had volunteered in our garden right next to a desirable native tree we had planted about 8 years ago.  Well, he cut down the wrong tree (I'm not sure how he managed that, as the tree he was supposed to cut down was covered with yellow flowers, which I pointed out to him, and the other tree had no blooms of any kind.)   I didn't yell at him for cutting down the wrong tree, because he got confused as they were growing so close together, altho once the flowering tree that remains is removed (it'll take over the garden if we don't get rid of it ASAP), it'll leave a big gap in our border plantings.  I know his heart was in the right place - next time I'll just have to watch him more closely.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: My heart was in the right place, but... OOPS!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »
Well intentioned, but poor ending or results? I know all about it!

I have tried to fix something and have made it worse, so many times. Or tried to make something for someone and it has something they don't like.

Fortunately, I usually make things better, but the occasional slip up reminds me that I'm human.  ;)
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
When I was living in Asia I had a friend, Jinna, who was a local who was always offering to help with things but somehow it would usually go haywire. She always meant well, and usually did not pick up on the fact that her "help" had caused an issue. One year a large group of us went skiing and Jinna, being one of the only ones who spoke the local language, offered to call and reserve the cabin. Which was great. It was a huge place and was able to fit the 20 of us who went. The following year we went again, but with a larger group. Jinna couldn't go that time but insisted on booking us a place, we said we just wanted to stay at the same place again.

After she called, she let us know that the specific place we had stayed the year before was completely booked but she reserved another place down the road that was the same price. We were thrilled. When the weekend arrived we took a three hour bus ride and got dropped up in a very fancy cabin community which we were surprised by and were led to our cabin. It was a very fancy two bedroom place... for 20+ people. People were cramped and sleeping on floors and even in a linen closet. We were all super annoyed but we felt we couldn't say anything to her because she had tried to be helpful. She brought it up later and gushed about how nice and fancy it was and didn't seem to register that it would only have been a fancy place if 4 us us were staying there...

Psychopoesie

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:19:37 PM »
A guy who was visually impaired (walked with a cane) asked me for directions to the bus stop for the number 333 bus. I helpfully gave directions and looked on afterwards to make sure he made it to the spot. Then I boarded my own bus feeling like I'd done someone a good turn.

As my bus was pulling out of the interchange, I realised that I'd sent him to the wrong 333 bus stop for the direction he wanted to go. I should have sent him to the opposite side.

I can only hope that he stated his destination when he bought a ticket and got set right. Felt really bad but there was nothing I could do at that point. If I'd realised sooner, I would've run after him.

Hope he didn't think it was on purpose. It was just a good deed gone wrong.

gramma dishes

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:50 PM »
When I was living in Asia I had a friend, Jinna, who was a local who was always offering to help with things but somehow it would usually go haywire. She always meant well, and usually did not pick up on the fact that her "help" had caused an issue. One year a large group of us went skiing and Jinna, being one of the only ones who spoke the local language, offered to call and reserve the cabin. Which was great. It was a huge place and was able to fit the 20 of us who went. The following year we went again, but with a larger group. Jinna couldn't go that time but insisted on booking us a place, we said we just wanted to stay at the same place again.

After she called, she let us know that the specific place we had stayed the year before was completely booked but she reserved another place down the road that was the same price. We were thrilled. When the weekend arrived we took a three hour bus ride and got dropped up in a very fancy cabin community which we were surprised by and were led to our cabin. It was a very fancy two bedroom place... for 20+ people. People were cramped and sleeping on floors and even in a linen closet. We were all super annoyed but we felt we couldn't say anything to her because she had tried to be helpful. She brought it up later and gushed about how nice and fancy it was and didn't seem to register that it would only have been a fancy place if 4 us us were staying there...

Wait. You never told her?  Maybe it wasn't even the cabin she actually had reserved for you.  Maybe the resort made a mistake!