News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 05, 2015, 08:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "You don't know how hard it is..." and other toppers.  (Read 11126 times)

Mustard

Re: "You don't know how hard it is..." and other toppers.
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch springs to mind..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

rain

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
Over 20 years ago I worked with a one upper.  No matter what you had or what it happened she always had it worse.  One of the guys wanted to say he had a vasectomy to see what she would say.

Instead we all started hiding for our breaks and stopped going to the break room
In search of a tag line

MaryR

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
Thank you so much for posting that link, Mustard. I giggled all the way through it :)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
Not nearly as bad as the others in this thread, but here goes.

I loved university, despite all the stress. I worked my butt off. My biggest pet peeve? Hearing people criticize/insult other people's majors or acting condescending...when really, they were completely ignorant as to what that other major entailed. Sometimes it was my own (Two) majors, but more often I heard other fields being mocked. "That's SO easy." "Wow, that just doesn't compare to the work I have to do..." "Don't you just [insert stereotype here]?!" "God, what a worthless major."

>:(

I went to a university that had been a teaching college until my sophomore year, so most of us were still education majors. It really upset me when there was even discussions about Chem/Physics majors being so much smarter than El. Ed. majors who were so much better than Phys. Ed. majors. And then, my senior year the new students were putting down the ed majors!

Oh, for Pete's sake! We all have skills and interests, we all work hard and contribute. Just appreciate the differences!

In other words, I agree completely.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2015, 08:19:34 PM »
Over 20 years ago I worked with a one upper.  No matter what you had or what it happened she always had it worse.  One of the guys wanted to say he had a vasectomy to see what she would say.

Instead we all started hiding for our breaks and stopped going to the break room

I worked with one of these, too.  We were medical transcriptionists, and no matter what she transcribed about, she'd had it herself and it was much worse for her.  Until the day I was talking to a co-worker about a document I had just transcribed, and she interrupted to say, "Oh, I had that, and it was horrible."  I said, "Really?  Your vasectomy reversed itself?"  Didn't hear much out of her for the rest of the day. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
Fifteen years ago before DS, I had a series of three miscarriages. DS is my only child, and it took a lot of stress and effort to make him happen.

Flash forward a couple of years ... I was working full time, I had a household to manage, I had a toddler ... and my then-H and I were finding ourselves driving an hour every weekend to help my parents with stuff at their house. My brother (married with three kids at the time), on the other hand, wouldn't drive the hour from his home to pitch in and help.

I had become overwhelmed with the situation, and our household was suffering. I called my brother once and asked him if he could find one weekend every month or so to visit and help them. His response right out of the gate: "We can't do that. You have no idea how busy we are. You only have one kid." And then, "Besides, you don't know how hard it is to pack up three kids for the weekend."

No, I don't know what it's like to have three kids, but gee, thanks for rubbing that in. Somewhat OT, his ex-W often reminded me that I wasn't as much of a mother as she was (better parenting through greater fertility?) and that I was "denying" (her word) DS a sibling.

I'm so sorry for your losses.

We're kind of going through this with my husband's sister. 

My FIL is in need of 24-hour care and my DH and MIL are it.  They have tried to get my SIL involved, even if it was hanging out with her dad for a couple of hours at the mall while my MIL did some much needed shopping.  Nope.  Can't do it.  She's much too busy with her social clubs and they obviously have no idea what it's like to be busy and needed all of the time.

No.  They have no idea.   ::)

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »
Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch springs to mind..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

"You lived in a shoebox? Luxury!"

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »
The Weird Al song "When I Was Your Age" also springs to mind....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LQWFDo604o

SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »
When I lived in the same town as my mom I had a job that was shift work, so my days off were on days that she worked. I was in my mid 20s. One day, on my day off, she had the nerve to call me and ask,  "You're not doing anything today, why don't you go run X errand for me?" This involved driving to another town about 20 minutes away, picking up 1 or 2 items and then taking them to her while she was at work.
 I quickly corrected her and said while it may be my day off I certainly did have things to do, and quite a few of them too!