News:

• February 23, 2018, 09:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 825311 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2505 on: Today at 04:34:43 PM »
The title "Professor Emeritus" is almost never used alone when referring to someone; it's always tacked to a name. If it isn't "Jane Doe, Professor Emeritus," it's "Jane Doe is Professor Emeritus of Widget Studies." So, it would be a bit difficult to the student to miss that it was a title, not a name. I paraphrased the post, but it did indeed look like the student had spotted it somewhere, assumed (correctly) that it referred to a distinguished member of the faculty, and was trying to impress the interviewer.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Browyn

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2506 on: Today at 04:40:19 PM »
Looking at an old Reddit thread about things not to do when applying to a university.

1a. "I've seen two essays written by parents. Not just essays where you could tell from the writing that it was written by an adult, but essays by mothers written in first person about their sons."

1b. "I had a student who never had their application matched up with their other materials (test scores, transcripts, etc.) because the social security numbers didn't match. That's because their mother had filled out the application and written in her SSN instead."

2. Student told admission officer that her dream was to study with Professor Emeritus. She had followed all his work and was really impressed. By the way, does he prefer to be called Dr. Emeritus? [Professor Emeritus is a title given to a distinguished professor after he/she retires. John Smith, Professor Emeritus of History. Professor Emeritus Jane Jones, Dept. of Chemistry.]

3. College had a program where students who had been accepted spent a few days touring, in order to decide on their course of study. One student was so rude to her overnight hosts and to college staff that her acceptance was rescinded.

4. Student filled out forms that were supposed to be recommendations from teachers. Signed them herself, all in the same handwriting.

5. No, attaching currency to your application doesn't help. (Multiple reports)

6. "Applicant sent in a photo of them conducting a military band in a chicken suit. I have no clue why."

Well #6 made the applicant memorable.  I had a fellow student write his college essay on purple paper "because it makes a statement" lol.  This was back in the 80's.  He went to MIT and is very successful.