Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 653048 times)

Amara

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3390 on: October 19, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
I was at my hairdresser's yesterday and the owner of the shop was there (she often isn't). Apparently, she received an email telling her that she had one hour to pay off a $425 outstanding electric bill or the utility would be cut off. She was to go to CVS across the street and do this. (I didn't catch everything nor did I see the email but there was quite a buzz among the tiny staff.) She was getting very upset but her hairdressers were trying to reassure her it was bogus. No one, though, could figure out what CVS would have since I don't think they have a Western Union office. (In fact, I am sure they do not.)

I finally spoke up as the oldest person in there and said it was a fraud, that utility companies send out late notices by postal mail and you get at least two of them over sixty days before it is cut off and they always tell you the cut-off date. She finally went home to check on her payment due (and she was not overdue), but I am still surprised at how close she came to freaking out and doing what they wanted.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:08:28 PM by Amara »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3391 on: October 19, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »
...  She was to go to CVS across the street and do this. ...

I would have been tempted to assure them that I'd be there in a few minutes, then after calling the utility company to be sure this was bogus, I would have called the police and had them accompany me across the street to meet the person waiting there to collect my 'payment'!

rachellenore

« Reply #3392 on: October 19, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
My dad had his Facebook hacked a few years ago with that London scam. A few family members replied with more questions. They quickly knew it was a scammer because of the person's foul language, something  dad is known to never use! He changed all of his passwords after that.

JoW

« Reply #3393 on: October 19, 2014, 11:29:18 PM »

I would have been tempted to assure them that I'd be there in a few minutes, then after calling the utility company to be sure this was bogus, I would have called the police and had them accompany me across the street to meet the person waiting there to collect my 'payment'!
Thats not how the scam works.  The payment is never picked up in person.  The scammer wants the payment made by credit card or wire transfer (Western Union or WalMart's Green Dot card).  The victim thinks the payment is going to the utility company office downtown but it is actually picked up by the scammer miles away, often in another country. 

This scam shows up on 800Notes often
http://800notes.com/forum/ta-9074510b7ae76bd/phone-scam-targets-businesses-with-threats-of-utility-cut-off
I post there as "not Michael". 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3394 on: Yesterday at 02:36:47 AM »

Thats not how the scam works.  The payment is never picked up in person.  The scammer wants the payment made by credit card or wire transfer (Western Union or WalMart's Green Dot card).  The victim thinks the payment is going to the utility company office downtown but it is actually picked up by the scammer miles away, often in another country. 

This scam shows up on 800Notes often
http://800notes.com/forum/ta-9074510b7ae76bd/phone-scam-targets-businesses-with-threats-of-utility-cut-off
I post there as "not Michael".

Or they have you buy a pre-paid Visa card and give them the number on it.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3395 on: Yesterday at 04:33:50 AM »
We don't seem to have many phone scammers here in Australia, apart from the 'Microsoft' one, but one of my coworkers got a phone call today that confused her and had both my supervisor and me suspicious. A guy called her from another state, not a number she knows, gave his name and company name (neither familiar to her), told her he needed to 'confirm' a bunch of her details and started asking for her name, phone number, address, etcetera, etcetera... English isn't her first language and he wouldn't say why he was calling, so she told him she'd call back, hung up, and asked us what we thought.

About the first thing out of both our mouths was "Don't tell him anything!" ;D Luckily she'd only confirmed her name, not given him anything else.

Googling didn't bring up the company name (another red flag!) but it's possible he was a debt collector looking for her son. ::) We've told her to not volunteer any info, insist on finding out what he's calling about, and tell him to communicate with her in writing so she's got stuff on paper if whatever-it-is goes any further.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3396 on: Yesterday at 02:03:36 PM »
Got this in my email:

Reply-To: [redacted]

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Message-Id: <20141019061926.AF5C7146955A@motbg.icnhost.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:19:26 +0300 (EEST)

Hi...

We Have a PT/job.5hopping My5tery. we pay per job and we want you to participate.

Your job is only to act as a regular customer and conduct normal business, Customer service is valuable.

If interested,send the information below.

1. FuII N4ME :

2. FullAdress :

3. Stte | Cty :

4. CodZ!p :

5. Phones

Alternate E-mail

6. O.c.c.u.p.a.t.i.o.n

Reply to [redacted]

Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Yea, wouldn't touch that with a 20-foot  ebola-proof pole.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

JoW

« Reply #3397 on: Yesterday at 11:36:40 PM »
Got this in my email:

Reply-To: [redacted]

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Message-Id: <20141019061926.AF5C7146955A@motbg.icnhost.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:19:26 +0300 (EEST)

Hi...

We Have a PT/job.5hopping My5tery. we pay per job and we want you to participate.

Your job is only to act as a regular customer and conduct normal business, Customer service is valuable.

Yea, wouldn't touch that with a 20-foot  ebola-proof pole.
This also shows up on 800 Notes.  Your first assignment is to mystery shop at Western Union.  They send you a check, you cash it, then wire most of it back to them.  The wire transfer clears instantly.  The check bounces and you owe the bank the full amount of the check plus a bounced check fee and the bank might press criminal charges. 

Hillia

« Reply #3398 on: Today at 02:02:26 PM »
I got one today:
Header: Order is Processed
Order Notification,

ELECTRONIC TICKET / ET-53380911
SEAT / 29E/ZONE 3
DATE / TIME 3 NOVEMBER, 2014, 12:55 PM
ARRIVING / Charlotte
FORM OF PAYMENT / XXXXXX
TOTAL PRICE / 299.61 USD
REF / KE.8531 ST / OK
BAG / 3PC

Your ticket is attached.
You can print your ticket.

Thank you
Delta Air Lines.

Since I actually have travel planned on Delta in the near future, this one got me to actually open the email.  Figured out pretty quickly it was bogus, but they did get me to read it, so yay them, I guess.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3399 on: Today at 03:39:26 PM »
I got one yesterday from Anna Pavlova telling me she missed talking to me.

That's one heck of a long distance call!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #3400 on: Today at 04:26:17 PM »
I just got an email from the DIT for our state warning us about a phishing attempt.  Some people have been receiving emails that mail box was too small, and all they had to do was click on this link here to expand the size of their mail box.

That is some accomplishment.  Most personal emails I receive at my work e-address take a week to arrive due to the firewalls.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3401 on: Today at 05:39:46 PM »
I just got an email from the DIT for our state warning us about a phishing attempt.  Some people have been receiving emails that mail box was too small, and all they had to do was click on this link here to expand the size of their mail box.

That is some accomplishment.  Most personal emails I receive at my work e-address take a week to arrive due to the firewalls.

Well technically their mailbox could be too small....if they save every single email from the past 20 years

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3402 on: Today at 06:27:27 PM »
I got one today:
Header: Order is Processed
Order Notification,

ELECTRONIC TICKET / ET-53380911
SEAT / 29E/ZONE 3
DATE / TIME 3 NOVEMBER, 2014, 12:55 PM
ARRIVING / Charlotte
FORM OF PAYMENT / XXXXXX
TOTAL PRICE / 299.61 USD
REF / KE.8531 ST / OK
BAG / 3PC

Your ticket is attached.
You can print your ticket.

Thank you
Delta Air Lines.

Since I actually have travel planned on Delta in the near future, this one got me to actually open the email.  Figured out pretty quickly it was bogus, but they did get me to read it, so yay them, I guess.

To me it looks pretty legitimate.   ???  If I got this, I'd probably respond.  So I need to know!  What about this warns you it's bogus?