Author Topic: How to download books for an e-reader?  (Read 571 times)

magician5

How to download books for an e-reader?
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:19:30 AM »
You guys are great! You helped me choose a Nook Easytouch with Glowlight for my MIL, who has no internet and wouldn't know what to do with it if she went to a wireless hotspot.

I have found a few suitable epub files and added them to the Nook easily. However, if I buy more books from Barnes and Noble, or Amazon, the only way to receive them is to load them directly from the seller to the device ... which will be 250 miles away at MIL's internet-free home.

Please don't suggest that MIL go to Barnes and Noble or to a "free wireless" McDonald's, what I want to do is buy the books, get the epub files in my hot little hands and take them up there to load the reader from my laptop. So ... how do I actually get the epub files and put an end to the need for her to have internet?

Thanks!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

GreenBird

Re: How to download books for an e-reader?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:30:32 AM »
If you download the "Nook for PC" software on your laptop, you can use it to download the epubs.  Do a google search for "Nook for PC" to find the link for the software on the Barnes & Noble website.  The epubs will download to a "My Barnes & Noble eBooks" folder under "My Documents" on your laptop.   I always download my ebooks to try to have a local backup of them, and this method has worked for me. 

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:59:52 AM »
Most digital-format books are formatted with restrictions to prevent people from copying and sharing them in this way, to protect the author's rights and, frankly, their income.

Of course, before ereaders, you (generic) could have loaned your MIL a book. You had paid for a physical copy of the book which you then owned and you could do anything you pleased with it. The publisher and author got their royalties, and because you, as the book's owner, were only ever likely to lend it to one or two people, no one ever worried about the book being read by people who hadn't actually paid for a copy of their own. What's more, you were unlikely to charge for the loan of the book, and profit from the author's hard work. (Special royalty arrangements exist for public libraries.)

In this digital age, ebooks without restrictive 'locks' in their software can be shared with, literally, thousands. Not personally by you, perhaps, but you send it to ten friends, who each send it to ten more, who send it to ten more... And so on. It's the nature of the internet, the whole reason for its existence, is to share digital information easily and instantaneously. The author gets one payment for one copy and loses out on dozens of sales. When this is their source of income, it's a real issue for them. So the copyright locks are put in place to prevent the easy sharing of books, to protect the author's rights.

However, because people do like to share books and because word of mouth enthusiasm boosts sales, Amazon does operate a limited sharing scheme where you can lend ebooks for a short period. I don't know if B&N has anything similar you could explore.

That isn't to say the digital locks can't be broken. Pirate sites pop up every day that sell copies of ebooks, and the author will never see a penny in royalties. Heartbreaking, when your work is stolen and someone else is making money on it, and you're struggling to make the next mortgage payment.

The other thing to note is when you buy an ebook, you don't actually own it. I believe that what you are technically buying is a licence that allows you fair use of the electronic copy. I do know that Amazon (and propably B&N) can remotely wipe books from your ereader if you breach the terms and conditions on which you bought them.

Which boils down to 'there is no easy or legal way to share ebooks'.

You can load up with books that are out of copyright. Check out Project Gutenberg, which has 1000s of free books. Older books, of course, but there are some gems there.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:05:30 AM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

magician5

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:04:19 AM »
Hurray! That's the ticket, both of those items! Thanks!

Found the epub file in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc

To get there you have to enable "show hidden folders" in explorer, but then you can make a shortcut to that folder.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:36:31 AM by magician5 »

GreenBird

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:20:09 AM »
Glad it helped!   
I think if the Nook ereader is logged into the same Nook account that the laptop was logged into while downloading, then the Nook will likely be able to open the files without a problem, although I haven't tested it this exact way.  It's allowed to have multiple devices all using the same Nook account, and they all have access to that account's ebooks.  So my PC, Nook HD, phone and tablet can all access my Nook books by being logged into my same account. 

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:27:41 AM »
Glad it helped!   
I think if the Nook ereader is logged into the same Nook account that the laptop was logged into while downloading, then the Nook will likely be able to open the files without a problem, although I haven't tested it this exact way.  It's allowed to have multiple devices all using the same Nook account, and they all have access to that account's ebooks.  So my PC, Nook HD, phone and tablet can all access my Nook books by being logged into my same account.

Same with the Kindle for PC software. I can access my Amazon account, where the ebooks are stored, and download them to any linked device. But I don't know that I can physically transfer from one device to another without an internet connexion to the main account, which is what the OP wants to do.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

magician5

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:38:35 AM »
Correct, and see my post above for the Windows 8 location. I HATE having things I've paid for "lost in the cloud" ... I want the item in my possession, and this is how to get it and keep it.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:01:33 AM »
There's a page on different ways of loading books onto the nook here http://www.adobepress.com/store/ebook-formats/nook.asp - nook account, calibre, etc.

nayberry

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 06:40:26 AM »
if you get some free ebooks which aren't ion the right format for the nook, try using Calibre, its free software that can change the type of file the ebooks are.  its very handy, i got sent some free ebooks by authors (twitter gets you a lot of free books!)  and use it to adjust them to go on my kindle

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:24:35 PM »
I use calibre to download to my ipad and samsung phone. A great little program :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »
I second or third Calibre.  I've been using it since version 1 and it's really come a long way in terms of functionality. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 11:40:25 PM »
The only way I've found to reliably load new books from B&N on my Nook is through a wireless connection.  Before we went wireless, I tried downloading them through my computer, but that was successful only about half the time.  I can't count how many hours I spent trying to get through the heads of B&N customer service that I was having a problem. 

CS: So you downloaded the book to your computer. 

Me: NO.  I downloaded it to the Nook through the computer.  The Nook is plugged into the USB port.  When the software asked where to save it, I told it to save it to the Nook, treating it like any other peripheral device. 

CS: But that means you downloaded the book to your computer. 

Me:

One supreme idiot even suggested that the only way to solve my problem was to wipe everything off and return the Nook to its original factory settings!  No, I have several hundred books I got off Project Gutenberg plus a couple hundred more from B&N that I'd rather not spend hours downloading again, thank you very much.  And that particular problem was solved by actually turning the Nook off instead of just putting it to sleep; the book was there when I turned it on again. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:46:51 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~