Author Topic: "D'oh!" Moments (or the V-8 headslap ;))  (Read 2992 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: "D'oh!" Moments (or the V-8 headslap ;))
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »
Coffee mugs should be right side up before you try to put coffee into them.

Just sayin'. Your friendly neighbourhood PSA. Not speaking from experience. Nothing to see here folks, nope.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50:08 AM »
Every day, I get my coffee with milk and sugar and then a big cup of OJ.  One day, I put my big cup of OJ into my coffee.

Yum.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 10:01:35 PM »
A few years back, I went out for lunch with my best friend, my mom and godmother, and my mom who likes to talk was jabbering away, and grabbed a piece of lemon, and proceeded to squeeze it in her COFFEE! Needless to say our regular server was capping on mom for that one!

Cherry91

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 05:43:35 AM »
My cousin was in a cafe a while back, and he had a cup of coffee. After stirring it and sitting down, he took a sip and nearly spat it out, it was so vile. He took it up to the counter, who tasted it and agreed something was very wrong. They made him a new cup free of charge, he does his coffee routines, sits down, same problem again. He's about to get up to complain again when he realises that that salt and sugar dispensers on the table are near identical. He tests the one he's now poured into two cups of coffee and sure enough - it's salt.

So he goes up to the counter, confesses his folly, and offers to pay for the second cup he's ruined and another replacement. The barista agrees the pourers are nearly identical and gives him the replacement cup free and tells him not to worry about it. We were howling when he told us what happened...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:47:38 AM by Cherry91 »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 08:39:17 AM »
My cousin was in a cafe a while back, and he had a cup of coffee. After stirring it and sitting down, he took a sip and nearly spat it out, it was so vile. He took it up to the counter, who tasted it and agreed something was very wrong. They made him a new cup free of charge, he does his coffee routines, sits down, same problem again. He's about to get up to complain again when he realises that that salt and sugar dispensers on the table are near identical. He tests the one he's now poured into two cups of coffee and sure enough - it's salt.

So he goes up to the counter, confesses his folly, and offers to pay for the second cup he's ruined and another replacement. The barista agrees the pourers are nearly identical and gives him the replacement cup free and tells him not to worry about it. We were howling when he told us what happened...

Where are you? I've never seen the salt and sugar containers anywhere near the same size. Even when the salt and sugar are both served in packets because the salt has ridges and the sugar looks like a 1 teaspoon pillow. When both are in dispensers, the sugar is about 1 1/2 cups with a pour spout and the salt in a 1/8 cup shaker with holes on top.

PS I've rarely been to a real coffee shop. The smell doesn't agree with me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:41:55 AM by Luci »

Cherry91

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 08:49:53 AM »

Where are you? I've never seen the salt and sugar containers anywhere near the same size. Even when the salt and sugar are both served in packets because the salt has ridges and the sugar looks like a 1 teaspoon pillow. When both are in dispensers, the sugar is about 1 1/2 cups with a pour spout and the salt in a 1/8 cup shaker with holes on top.

It was a cafe in London. My cousin is an artsy type, so he likely went in because it looked "quirky". He didn't describe what the pourers looked like, just swore they were near identical. Then again, he was caffeine deprived at the time...

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »

Anything can be used for sugar and salt holders.  So maybe the shop wasn't using the "traditional" kind, but another container repurposed for that use. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
I've seen small jam jars with white plastic lids and "handles" on the jars - they make really cute salt & pepper shakers later (if larger than usual) - they also look just like miniature Mason (canning brand) jars that are made with handles to use for serving beverages.  Apparently "country chic" appropriated old canning jars like your grandmother, great grandmother, whatever generation works in your family might have used in the 1930s through the 1960s in her farmhouse to both can and drink out of (if they were chipped so that they couldn't be used for canning or that she hadn't gotten around to the next batch of canning things, so she had ten or fifty clean, empty pint or quart jars).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »
If you open the over while wearing your glasses, they will steam up and you will be temporarily blind.

Please learn this, self.

Same goes for a hot dishwasher, lol!

BOnus points if your frames are metal, and the oven hot enough, you will feel the burn on your face!

Elisabunny

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »
If you open the over while wearing your glasses, they will steam up and you will be temporarily blind.

Please learn this, self.

Same goes for a hot dishwasher, lol!

BOnus points if your frames are metal, and the oven hot enough, you will feel the burn on your face!

And if you are wearing a metal necklace on bare skin...
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

gingerzing

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »
When you are making something to cook all day in your slow cooker, remember to turn it on before you leave for work.  That pork roast will not be done when you get home otherwise.   :(

Along the same lines, when you are making something to cook all day in your slow cooker, and you have turned it on, remember to check if the stupid thing is pulled in. 
Your beef barley soup will NOT be done either.   :-\

Yup, I have done both.  And I may or may not have done them both within a month of each incident.  (I think it was possibly 6 week span.)

(I now touch the side of the slow cooker to make sure it is hot just as I am leaving the house.)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
When you are making something to cook all day in your slow cooker, remember to turn it on before you leave for work.  That pork roast will not be done when you get home otherwise.   :(

Along the same lines, when you are making something to cook all day in your slow cooker, and you have turned it on, remember to check if the stupid thing is pulled in. 

Yup, I have done both.  And I may or may not have done them both within a month of each incident.  (I think it was possibly 6 week span.)

(I now touch the side of the slow cooker to make sure it is hot just as I am leaving the house.)

Careful!

You don't want to add "A person can burn themselves on the hot side of a slow cooker" to the list!  ;D

gingerzing

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »

Careful!

You don't want to add "A person can burn themselves on the hot side of a slow cooker" to the list!  ;D

I haven't done it.  (the "yet" is implied, I am sure)   It usually is just a quick tap along the side or touch on the lid.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »

Once I happened to read a post similar to the purple one (on this very board), and it drove me to check the crockpot that I had just filled and set up to cook.  Yup, hadn't plugged it in.  Fortunately it had only been about 15 minutes since I'd put everything together, so it was still safe to cook and eat.  Now I check it before leaving the kitchen. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 08:46:04 PM »
I had a roast going in my slow cooker most of the day today.

I checked it after about five minutes - then plugged it in...

Turns out to have been a very timely post..although I had it cooking by 10 am!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?