Author Topic: Foods you used to like, but can no longer stand and why?  (Read 2229 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Foods you used to like, but can no longer stand and why?
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »
Chicken.  I used to especially love the breast, but it tastes disgusting to me now.  Except for the greasy old coated fried chicken from the deli.  I have a suspicion and that is that organic chicken doesn't taste the same as inorganic.  We only buy organic and I wonder if that is when I began to find the taste so awful.  I hate to think that I only like the taste of inorganic chicken.
Reheated meat of any kind has a very bad flavor to me.  I used to reheat things like roasts by making them into beef pie the next day and it was fine.  Now, blech! 

I also can't stand homemade chicken broth.  Used to love it.  My husband makes it and cooks it for about 8 hours and it just tastes boney to me.  I can't even eat it.  I hate to even taste it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:23:37 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »
Mine would be apple butter. I will explain why.

As a child i had to take medication. it was in sprinkle capsule form, able to be taken whole or sprinkled on foods. My mom used to mix it in apple butter as it was the only thing I would eat. (Didn't like apple sauce and pudding was too sweet) For two years twice a day I would take a teaspoon of applebutter with my meds in it. When I was eleven years old I discovered I was able to swallow the dang things. Haven't touched applebutter since!

Mine was put on a spoonful of jam or jelly. I hated that medication!! (If it's what I took, it was Theo-Dur Sprinkles).  The sprinkles had a bitter taste to them, and it made me despise jams for a very long time.

Nope. Seizure meds. I am still on them, I just can swallow them whole now, so I don't have to accidentally get the tangy bitterness on my tongue. Ick.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:50 PM »
Fried foods, including chicken and French fries.  I can't seem to tolerate grease. 

Pizza, also because of grease and I can't eat cheese anymore.  Maybe a dairy thing.

Ice cream-probably dairy.  In fact, most processed foods. 

starofwinter

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2014, 01:04:13 AM »
For a while, I adored the crab salad from a food truck here in town.  The last time I had it, I had a nasty migraine, and between that and the texture, I can't even think about it without feeling nauseated.  No idea why I made that association, but there you go.

silvercelt

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
Mine would be apple butter. I will explain why.

As a child i had to take medication. it was in sprinkle capsule form, able to be taken whole or sprinkled on foods. My mom used to mix it in apple butter as it was the only thing I would eat. (Didn't like apple sauce and pudding was too sweet) For two years twice a day I would take a teaspoon of applebutter with my meds in it. When I was eleven years old I discovered I was able to swallow the dang things. Haven't touched applebutter since!

Mine was put on a spoonful of jam or jelly. I hated that medication!! (If it's what I took, it was Theo-Dur Sprinkles).  The sprinkles had a bitter taste to them, and it made me despise jams for a very long time.

Nope. Seizure meds. I am still on them, I just can swallow them whole now, so I don't have to accidentally get the tangy bitterness on my tongue. Ick.

Ahh, ok. TDS had to be opened to take (I think for better absorption?) so it was something I just had to suffer through.  Thankfully they make much better (and easier to take!) asthma meds these days.

Zizi-K

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:34 AM »
There are few foods I can't eat anymore...definitely those I've gradually stopped eating but I don't know that they would taste bad, things like Little Debbie snack cakes. Unfortunately Doritos and the ilk still taste good to me!

But there are beverages I literally cannot stomach due to ... overconsumption in my younger days, specifically Bell's Oberon beer and Jagermeister. Nope and nope! I used to be a vodka person for my cocktails/mixed drinks, but I've since developed a taste for gin and now vodka tastes really one-dimensional.

Peppergirl

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »

But there are beverages I literally cannot stomach due to ... overconsumption in my younger days, specifically Bell's Oberon beer and Jagermeister. Nope and nope! I used to be a vodka person for my cocktails/mixed drinks, but I've since developed a taste for gin and now vodka tastes really one-dimensional.

Oh, my Lord yes!  There was a local beer in my hometown called Little Kings.  I tried it again about 5 years ago and after one gulp, due to the reasons you listed above, my stomach let me know it was not at all amused. *shudder*

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
Uggh... Jagermeister.  I had a very bad night with that once.  It ended up with a fairly icky foot injury that I didn't feel until the next day.  I haven't touched the stuff since.

Also, sadly, a lot of my mother's non-holiday cooking.  It's not that she's a bad cook - not at all.   However, she does not use much by way of seasoning and isn't the most adventerous eater.  When I moved out and started cooking on my own, I was amazed to discover just how good a certain blend of spices could make things.  I'm also a spicy food fanatic, so that made a different as well.

As a kid, I hated steak.  My mom insisted that my dad had to cook the steak for her, my brother and myself to well-done.  It wasn't until I was an adult and had one cooked to medium that I realized just how good it could be.

magicdomino

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
As a kid, I hated steak.  My mom insisted that my dad had to cook the steak for her, my brother and myself to well-done.  It wasn't until I was an adult and had one cooked to medium that I realized just how good it could be.

Same here, except the great revelation was when I was a teen at a friend's house.  I now love very rare steak . 

Specky

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »
Anything beef. My folks had a thing for lots of fat on the beef, or in the ground beef and I hated the gristle.  I also hated the pieces and chunks of blood vessels that were evident.  I also grew up with crunchy hamburgers that could be a challenge to eat.  Spaghetti consisted of cooked to death pasta with crunchy spaghetti sauce.  Mom would cook the ground beef to cinders, add a can of tomato paste and a can of water and that was it.  A bare dash of salt/pepper was considered "highly seasoned".  Fresh vegetables were out because "that's what poor people eat" and all our veggies came from cans (except the collards) and were cooked into slime (including the collards).  Didn't have to even chew the cabbage.  Open your mouth and the cabbage would just slide on down.  Whole wheat bread was considered stale, even if it was fresh out of the oven because it wasn't soft and squishy like Wonder Bread, so home made bread was out.  We used some nasty margarine because Mom wanted the containers to use as bowls.  So, I had very few things that I truly enjoyed.  I did enjoy the times that we were served Uncle Ben's Curried Rice, but she decided it was too spicy and stopped serving it.

For some strange reason, when my folks didn't want to deal with something food related, as in serving it or allowing me to try it, they told me it would "give me worms".  Pretty danged effective.  I once asked about broccoli.  "No.  You don't want that because it will give you worms."  Sometimes, it backfired because you can bet that I remembered which the "worm giving foods" were. They would forget and try to give me something they previously tried to discourage me from.  I never had broccoli until I moved away from home and had figured out that 75% of the food out there will not give one a case of the worms.

So, lots of dislikes and aversions disappeared once I left home and became braver about trying things.  I love broccoli. I love properly prepared vegetables, preferrably fresh, of all types.  I never did get over the beef aversion, though.