News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 29, 2017, 12:55:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are you 'Quick on your feet' with responses?  (Read 1008 times)

jpcher

Are you 'Quick on your feet' with responses?
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:48:06 PM »
I am not. When I'm put on the spot with a question that may seem a bit awkward (to me) I tend to stumble over my response (Oh, um, well, gee :-[) and then later think "Oh! This would have been a perfect response!"

The other day at work I was walking out of Director's office (for a meeting that she was late to) and ran into her and a Gentleman (GM) that I never met before.

Director introduced me to GM and told him "If you ever need anything to be improved look-wise talk to jpcher. She can make anything look good."

GM looked at me (while pointing to his face) "Can you make this look good?" (laughing)

Yeah, I was put on the spot. But this time somehow something came out of my mouth that was really good, rather than embarrassing!

I replied "As good as I am I cannot improve perfection."

He LOL'ed and even blushed a bit . . . I turned to Director and talked about the meeting I just left. Then we went our separate ways.

I was proud of myself for coming up with that response, it was completely outside of my normal "Um, stutter, what do I say?"

What about you? Are you quick on your feet with responses to odd questions?

I'd like to hear your stories, either Win or Fail about being quick on your feet . . . I mostly fail, but this was a win in my book. ;)

Cali.in.UK

Re: Are you 'Quick on your feet' with responses?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »
I think you were fine. At least you didn't accidentally say something negative like, "As good as I am I can't do the impossible." I think I'm good on my feet except when I am already uncomfortable. I'm quite extroverted and usually get along with people easily but it doesn't always happen, and then I get stressed which then muddles my usually quick action responses. My previous boss was an intimidating person who did not like me and he could get really worked up about things that I didn't anticipate so I would be on edge when we spoke. Sometimes when he was mad about something he would say things to me (criticizing my work or skills) and in the moment my mind would draw a blank, and then once he had left all of a sudden my mind was clear and I had plenty of great, professional rebuttals.. but five minutes after the encounter.

cicero

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
Wow! What a great response! I am totally the George costanza type of person, "that's what I should have said!!!". Or, I do have the perfect reply but... Not entirely sure if I can say *that* to *that person*, I hesitate, and the moment has passed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GardenGal

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
That was a delightful response!  I'm usually pretty good with responses, but one time almost 40 years ago I was fabulous.  Our son was about 5-6 and had never had a full-blown tantrum.  A classmate was over at our house and this child had a serious tantrum, which our son watched in total fascination. The next day DS had his first attempt at a tantrum, which was pretty good for a first attempt.  Somehow I kept my cool and looked at him and calmly said, "Oh, we don't do that in our family."  Cue instant end to tantrum, never to be repeated.  Whew!!!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

knitwicca

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:07:26 AM »
My knee jerk responses tend to be sarcastic. I have learned the art of a silent smile.

OP, your response was perfect.

Allyson

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 01:59:05 AM »
I'm pretty good at keeping my cool when someone's obviously trying to rattle me and not getting super stuttery, but really clever responses in the moment are pretty rare. I've had a few good ones, and I find with some types of obnoxious people anything will shut them down.  Once there was a guy who liked to push the envelope, be the centre of attention, and be funny/mean to people, he said something like that to me once, obviously expecting something, and I just looked at him and said really dryly "I've been called worse by better."  It was pretty funny because he was doing it to get approval for his jokes at my expense and then the group ended up liking my comment better, which he did not appreciate! That's usually my style -- nothing really witty, but dry/calm.

malfoyfan13

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
I've always been terrible at this, but I'm getting better with age.  ;-)

I think I'm not as worried about what people think now and it makes it easier to respond, especially to people who are trying to sell me something, or talk over me.  And what has REALLY helped me is memorizing some of the phrases used here on E-Hell.  I've also passed them along to other people and one friend of mine has been using "I'm sorry, but that won't be possible" to get out of some awkward situations.  I find it helpful to have some responses prepared in my head so I won't be caught short.

GardenGal

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:37:47 PM »
"I've been called worse by better."
Love this!!!!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

sandisadie

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
I usually can't think of a good response either.  So I just smile gently and stare directly at the offending person until either they began to stammer or one of us just goes away.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 12:39:50 AM »
I'm usually pretty quick with a come-back - it comes from a misspent youth.   >:D

Gonna tell on myself here though.

A few months back I saw a beautiful dog - a nearly-all-white border collie with bright blue eyes, in a van.  I said 'hello gorgeous!' to the dog as I walked past.  A man walking in front of me turned and said 'Oh thanks!'  I gently replied, 'Oh, I'm so sorry, not that your not gorgeous or anything, but I was actually talking to the dog.  Something about the white hair and blue eyes just gets me.'

He grinned and replied 'Hmmm... must look into getting my hair coloured!'

I'm still not quite sure who 'won' that conversation.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:18:03 PM »
I am often very quick but sarcastic, so have learned the smile and shut up when in professional circumstances to avoid trouble. OTOH, I will sometimes let 'er rip under the aegis of "They can't shoot you in the foot, they can't make you eat sand out of the road."
A very long time ago, I had a temp job passing out cigarette samples (LONG time ago, LOL) on the street. The two rules were: nobody under 21, and only one sample to a customer. A bunch of construction workers walked past, and when I handed one a sample he said "Gimme a couple, I'm a chain-smoker." I gave him my best ditsy young thing look and said "Oh, then you won't like these. They're cigarettes." The ribbing the other guys gave him all the way down the street was memorable.

Luci

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:09:28 PM »
Bad. Bad. Intrusive Luci. At the grocer today in a state that allows wine sales here, daughter about 45 and older woman just a bit younger than me were shopping. Mom threw 4 bottles of wine into the cart and Daughter said, "Mom! What are you thinking?" About a full minute pasted, and I was rudely observing the whole thing, so I finally said, "I think she knows I'm coming over later." They both sighed and laughed. I saw them later in the store and they were both kind to me, so I guess I didn't mess up too much.