News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 22, 2017, 02:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1953005 times)

TracyXJ

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #11955 on: February 15, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
How can one pay for the next customer at Starbucks? We don't know what will be ordered. It could be a huge complicated drink and a muffin or a small hot chocolate,
You could maybe put X number of dollars towards their purchase. So you aren't paying for the entire thing, you're just paying a portion of it.

I think the pay it forward thing usually happens in the drive through.  Since you order at a speaker and then pay at the window, usually they next person has ordered before you pay.  Then you can just have their order added to yours. 

Not sure how putting money towards the next payment would work if you were using a credit card.  Guess they would have to put it on a gift card and then use that for the next person.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11956 on: February 20, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
For those of you with a guest room, how do you handle inquiries on whether a friend or family member can stay with you?
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #11957 on: February 20, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
You let them know that you'll have to check the calendar or if you have repair people coming in (my mother stayed with us the end of January this year - but the repairs to the room ran late due to flooding (the assistant was unable to drive over) and illness (the contractor was sick - as was the rest of his family - "24 hour flu", I think).  Mom was supposed to come over Saturday or Sunday and she ended up being picked up Monday (she flew in - so her daughters were driving her around).  I still haven't finished painting a strip along the top of the wall where the ceiling was repaired & the wall retextured after water damage from a water heater going bad...it's been raining a lot or we've been gone.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

GardenGal

« Reply #11958 on: February 20, 2017, 04:00:34 PM »
For those of you with a guest room, how do you handle inquiries on whether a friend or family member can stay with you?

We just about always say yes, as our guest room is empty about 95% of the time!  I wish we had more requests.  Usually the people who stay are here especially to see us, although DH has a cousin we're very fond of who uses us as a West Coast home base when he's visiting from the East Coast (of the U.S.) and doing a trade show or whatever.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Zerbinetta

« Reply #11959 on: February 20, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
I don't cook with chilies much. If a recipe calls for "2 red chilies, thinly sliced, seeds removed if you don't like too much kick," what do I buy? Are they fresh? Dried? Also, I don't like a lot of heat, so would want something on the milder side (if such a thing exists). Advice?

ladyknight1

« Reply #11960 on: February 20, 2017, 05:21:04 PM »
I don't cook with chilies much. If a recipe calls for "2 red chilies, thinly sliced, seeds removed if you don't like too much kick," what do I buy? Are they fresh? Dried? Also, I don't like a lot of heat, so would want something on the milder side (if such a thing exists). Advice?

They are either Fresno or red Jalepeno, more ripe than a green chile, and you will need to taste it to know how much to use. I don't like much of the heat, so I would pull the seeds out with a metal spoon, and use a glove on my hand to keep from getting the oils on your skin.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Zerbinetta

« Reply #11961 on: February 20, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »

They are either Fresno or red Jalepeno, more ripe than a green chile, and you will need to taste it to know how much to use. I don't like much of the heat, so I would pull the seeds out with a metal spoon, and use a glove on my hand to keep from getting the oils on your skin.

Thank you! And thanks for the reminder to get some gloves! I made something with jalapenos months ago (possibly the only time in my life I've done so), and found that even after 3-4 times washing my hands, I still had oil on my fingers... :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #11962 on: February 20, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »

Thank you! And thanks for the reminder to get some gloves! I made something with jalapenos months ago (possibly the only time in my life I've done so), and found that even after 3-4 times washing my hands, I still had oil on my fingers... :)

Acetone nail polish remover helps to get rid of the oils.  Of course you'll want to heavily moisturize after using it. 
Maryland

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #11963 on: February 20, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »

I always say "Absolutely, if we don't have anything else going on that weekend that would be a problem.  When were you planning to come?  I'll check the calendar and get back to you".  That gives me the opportunity to (1) check the calendar and (2) consult with Mr_Deb as well to be sure we're both ok with the visitor.  And the person doesn't feel blown off, because I answered positively in the first place...even if it ended up being a no.

ladyknight1

« Reply #11964 on: Yesterday at 07:22:52 AM »

I always say "Absolutely, if we don't have anything else going on that weekend that would be a problem.  When were you planning to come?  I'll check the calendar and get back to you".  That gives me the opportunity to (1) check the calendar and (2) consult with Mr_Deb as well to be sure we're both ok with the visitor.  And the person doesn't feel blown off, because I answered positively in the first place...even if it ended up being a no.

Since there are two other people that will be living in the home, and the guest bedroom shares a bath with the second bedroom, this is how I will approach it, unless it's someone I would not want to stay.
-J.R.R Tolkien