Author Topic: s/o superstitions-Unusual beliefs  (Read 429 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
s/o superstitions-Unusual beliefs
« on: Yesterday at 11:32:13 AM »
I love rocks and minerals and I have lots of them. (I used to go to the local rock and mineral shop on my breaks from work just to be in the store.  I could feel the stress draining away, and often would purchase a little stone or two.)

We had the wonderful red full moon eclipse the other night.  That day someone told my sister, who was wearing some turquoise jewelry, that if she put it out under the full moon, it would have healing properties.  I had a plain raw (not worked) piece and held it outside under the red moon, then placed it on the window sill inside where the moon could be seen.  I love the idea of this. 

Anyone else?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: s/o superstitions-Unusual beliefs
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:34:00 AM »
I feel closer to God when I am either in the mountains or at the beach. I have no real reason why I believe this, but I do and I always feel closer to Him there.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:55:36 PM »
I feel closer to God when I am either in the mountains or at the beach. I have no real reason why I believe this, but I do and I always feel closer to Him there.
I know what you mean. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:24:52 AM »
I'm not sure how to explain what I mean, but I'll try.

Sometimes, I'll see a tree and for whatever reason, it stands out from the other trees.  It's like it was placed there, specially.  It kind of reminds me of the Lego trees I had when I was a kid.  Anyway, I call them God-Trees because I always seem to see them when I need special encouragement over something.  They remind me He's near and they calm me.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:42:14 AM »
I'm an Urban Animist. I feel an amazing presence in big cities, something beyond simply being surrounded by so many people. I've sensed that the cities themselves have a soul- NYC's is especially powerful. And individual structures have a presence too- every time I'm in NYC, more and more skyscrapers seem to grab my attention. It's not just the biggest, the most famous, or most beloved of the architecture critics. Sometimes it's the ones most people ignore, who seem to call to me. It's an amazing feeling, walking through the city and feeling like the whole thing is alive. Or sensing the presence of the city-spirit itself. (I visualize NYC's as resembling a beautiful woman whose features are a blend of all her racial and ethnic groups)

Even around other Animists and Pagans, I'm sometimes considered a heretic, although I do have my allies as well.

Allyson

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:28:06 AM »
Amanita, that's given me some food for thought. I have had similar thoughts/feelings, but always kind of ignored them because nearly everything that talks about spirituality in that type of sense at all  focuses on nature and there's a very strong nature good/city bad vibe.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:48:28 AM »
Here's a good book for you:
http://www.amazon.ca/City-Magick-Rituals-Spells-Shamanism/dp/1578632064/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KGGFQCKKC9JANAGG5ER

I remember talking to some people in my local community about this- one said "Your buildings are made from the same atoms as my trees..An animist is an animist"
Another said "There is a tendency to think of things as defiled somehow when human hands enter the equation..we may as well be (judgmental variety of mainstream religion) if we're going to put a stamp of moral disapproval on a building vs a bird's nest."

I tell people that a bridge or a skyscraper is made of re-shaped earth element- steel, iron, stone. Concrete is made using stone too. All of that carries an energy. And countless people labored and in some cases sacrificed their lives to bring them into being, contributing yet more energy.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:57:26 AM »
I agree with this.  Our neighborhood has changed quite a bit since we first moved in 30 years ago. Still, there's something here I'm tempted to call a 'personality' and it has nothing to do with the people who live here.

This may sound nuts but, I swear that the light is different here. 

soetkin

« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:12:56 AM »
I totally agree with this. My mother and I agree on the fact that some houses have a soul, some kind of awareness that you can feel when you see them.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:49:31 AM »
Bijou, you mentioned the turquoise thing and i was curious so I looked it up. It has healing properties yes, but you don't have to put them under a moon to activate them. I would imagine however, that the power would be "magnified" so to speak, under the moon's light. The full moon is common for rituals and such in my religion. In fact you can take regular water and put it under the light of a full moon to make moon water. :)