News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 23, 2015, 12:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Librarians! Need children's/MG/YA books set in Africa  (Read 1031 times)

Barney girl

Re: Librarians! Need children's/MG/YA books set in Africa
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 08:57:45 AM »
I remember listening to this programme on Radio 4 last year http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04plwnn which was about crime stories written in Nigeria. I would guess that the books discussed wouldn't be suitable, but they also talked about the publishing industry in Nigeria, so it may be worth enquiring there.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 05:17:07 PM »
It may not quite be YA but the Flame Trees of Thika by Elspeth Huxley is an excellent book.  It is only 283 pages.  It is a biography of an English family's attempt to be coffee plantation farmers on the eve of WW1 in Kenya.  It is told from 10 year old Elspeth"s POV.  It was also an excellent Master Piece Theatre series in 1981 with Hayley Mills as the mother.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Yarnspinner

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 10:58:57 PM »
The Eye, The Ear and The Arm is a futuristic novel set in Zimbabwe as I recall.  Nancy Farmer is the author, the title characters are detectives sent to find the missing children of the Zimbabwean Dictator/President.  VERY interesting reading.

I'll second that recommendation. I loved that book in 5th/6th grade. (It's The Ear, The Eye and The Arm though)

I KNEW I got the body parts in the wrong order!  At least I remembered it didn't start with "arm".  Thankns!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 06:54:43 AM »
I remember listening to this programme on Radio 4 last year http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04plwnn which was about crime stories written in Nigeria. I would guess that the books discussed wouldn't be suitable, but they also talked about the publishing industry in Nigeria, so it may be worth enquiring there.
Just a heads up that if the quality level in the Nigerian publishing industry is anything like the quality of the Nollywood (Nigerian movie companies) movies that are put out, I wouldn't necessarily hold up much hope for the quality of the books (I get four Nigerian movie channels on my sattelite subscription. Quality is not a watchword of the production process, it mostly seems to be "Fast. Cheap. Horribly written." and I worry that the same might apply to books if the industry is run under the same kind of quality control.) You might want to read through the books or find reviews before purchasing them just because they're published in Nigeria.

Then again, whoever does the buying for the channels I see may not be buying good quality productions, but rather whatever is cheapest.

Also, I assume you've seen these lists:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/12430.Top_Children_s_Y_A_Books_Set_in_Africa

http://bookshybooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/young-adult-fiction-from-africa.html

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:59:06 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

KB

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 06:54:45 PM »
Some might find these controversial, but I would like to suggest Laurens van der Post's A Story Like The Wind and A Far-Off Place. Some of his other books set in Africa are also very good, but these two are excellent for a YA audience as they deal with growing up in that world even if the two main characters are white.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Betelnut

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 03:40:44 PM »
Go to your library's online catalog and type in "Africa Juvenile fiction" or even "Uganda Juvenile Fiction."  Not all will be great but that would be beginning also.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
Technically not YA books, but shouldn't be too far over their heads and doesn't have "adult" subjects:

The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.

I have enjoyed them a lot. If I remember right, the author is Scottish, but lived in Africa for many years.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.  Those books are very good and I can't remember anything inappropriate for a teen reader at all.

Frog24

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:30 PM »
Younger readers might enjoy the short story "Pinduli" by Jannell Cannon.  Abstract: Pinduli, a young striped hyena, is hurt by the unkind words of Dog, Lion, and Zebra, but her clever trick in return promotes her clan's survival and spreads harmony throughout the savannah. Includes backmatter notes about hyenas and other animals of the African savannah.