News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 09, 2016, 05:40:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 1545379 times)

Luci

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #6105 on: Yesterday at 07:10:44 AM »
My step mother's first husband passed away. Five years later she married my dad, then died 28 years later. Then my dad died six years after that. I was at my dad's house to plan the funeral and received a phone call from the first husband's niece. She wanted an item that her uncle had promised her some 40 years earlier. I was unable to accommodate her.

This caused a huge rift in my family - Grandma (the other grandmother, not the New York "hussy" mentioned upthread  :)) was promised her mother's china, but her mother passed away and Great-Grandpa re-married. When he died, his second wife's daughters sold everything instead.

I think she's still mad about it, 30 years later.

To be clear, the item was nowhere to be found. We went through everything in the process of dissolving the household and returned everything we didn't recognize to that side of the family. If Stepmother didn't take care of it at her first husband's death, there was nothing we could do about it. It was a personal item, not something huge like a set of dinnerware. We thought that the timing was rather unreasonable, too. I'm sorry for your grandmother.

z_squared82

« Reply #6106 on: Yesterday at 10:31:37 AM »
Time for a Mooch!

My friend's father just died. Her mother is still alive. Her oldest sister is shocked -- Shocked I tell you! -- that she's not getting any money.

Dude, even if he did have life insurance, his wife is his sole heir. Everything that was his is now hers, especially since she could very well live for another 30 years and living costs money!

Said sister is just so crazy self-centered.

Sounds painfully familiar, but it was a BIL, not a sibling.

It's not unheard-of for a handful of a late parent's possessions to get passed to children upon their death even though the other parent is still alive, especially if the other parent wouldn't be using them (e.g. fancy china or a table saw). I certainly wouldn't expect that to be the norm, though, and wouldn't expect that to extend to cash!

Oh, I expect Friend's Mom to pass along some personal items. In fact Friend's Mom gave Friend an item of Father's. An item that has sentimental value to Friend and monetary value to the average collector. Oldest Sister asked for that item for her son, saying Father would have wanted him to have it. Well, then he can have it when Friend dies -- no one believes anything other than Older Sister wants it so Older Sister can sell it and then claim her son sold it without her knowledge.

EMuir

« Reply #6107 on: Yesterday at 11:31:43 AM »
The latest scam in Canada only applies to one situation, but it's heartbreaking.  If an older relative has a live in caretaker and the relative passes away, the caretaker claims they were in a relationship and common law married.  So they get any proceeds if there is no will explicitly naming who gets what.

ddawn23

« Reply #6108 on: Yesterday at 11:49:14 PM »
Wouldn't such a claim fall apart instantly under even the tiniest hint of scrutiny?  I mean, presumably the caregiver was being paid to be there.  And I don't know about Canada, but in my neck of the woods you can't just declare yourself common-law married to your roommate the way Michael Scott declared bankruptcy-- you have to present yourself as a couple.  The decedent's immediate family being completely unaware of the supposed relationship would be compelling evidence against the caregiver's claim.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6109 on: Today at 09:42:08 AM »
I looked up common law marriage in Canada. It is very complex, as it depends on the laws of individual provinces. I won't go into it further, as it heads off into legal territory, but I did find that, in general, if a common law marriage is recognized, the surviving common law spouse does not have the same inheritance rights as a legally married spouse.

It is also possible that a caretaker could argue that he/she had an oral contract with the deceased. There was a famous US case that begat the word "palimony" because a live-in partner sued for the kind of settlement that a divorced spouse would get.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data