Author Topic: Awesome book titles  (Read 3335 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: Awesome book titles
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
I also like Time Is Short and the Water Rises, by John Walsh (not that one.) It's about rescuing wild animals from a lake being created by a newly created lake in Surinam in the late 1960s. The title comes from the letter sent to appeal to Mr. Walsh, who was in the Boston ASPCA, for help.

It's also an excellent book.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

cabbageweevil

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery! Delightful book, awesome title. Highly recommend.

Certainly "a title to reckon with".  I'd not hitherto heard of the book, so Googled it.  Can imagine complications for a lover of hedgehogs-the-animal, if they were to come across the title, but find the work nothing like they'd imagined (a bit like the railfan who demanded his money back for the copy he'd bought, of Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting; complaining that he'd been misled by the title.).

On the subject of real hedgehogs of the animal kind: IMO fine title, and delightful book, published in the UK a few years ago: A Prickly Affair -- The Charm of the Hedgehog, by Hugh Warwick.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
John Dies at the End

This was seriously one of the dumbest books I've ever read.  I thought it would be awesome because it was written by one of the authors who contributes frequently to Cracked.com, who I like quite a bit, but it was just....dumb.  These two guys are interviewed by a journalist and tell a tale of how they take this substance and start seeing these Shadow Creatures and they may or may not be dead, but you don't quite know.  It was made it a movie with Paul Giamatti and Clancy Brown, but it still didn't look appealing. 

carol1412

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »
I'm still slogging my way through "John Dies At The End". Probably because I want to make sure there's an actual point to the whole thing. Doesn't sound like it's going to be worth it though, eh?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
I also remember a book titles 'The Year of the Wombat'. 

Tini

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2014, 05:16:50 AM »
I started reads books by Christopher Moore just because of the titles.

Practical Demonkeeping
Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story
The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove
You Suck: A Love Story
The Serpent of Venice

His writing style is similar to, but not not good as, Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. I've enjoyed the ones I've read but they didn't make my read again in a few years list.

That is exactly how I felt about him! Sometimes it feels like he's just trying a bit too hard to be quirky.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2014, 07:00:44 AM »
I started reads books by Christopher Moore just because of the titles.

Practical Demonkeeping
Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story
The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove
You Suck: A Love Story
The Serpent of Venice

His writing style is similar to, but not not good as, Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. I've enjoyed the ones I've read but they didn't make my read again in a few years list.

That is exactly how I felt about him! Sometimes it feels like he's just trying a bit too hard to be quirky.

In my perception, that's a thing which many authors do -- am thinking of in their writing, rather than in their choice of titles.  Perhaps I'm a miserable curmudgeon, but this writing trait is virtually always the kiss of death for me.

lowspark

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »
I just came across this title. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have a copy. :(
The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification by Julian Montague