News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 19, 2017, 08:19:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An invitation conundrum... semi-wedding-ish  (Read 1144 times)

daen

Re: An invitation conundrum... semi-wedding-ish
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »
A somewhat similar situation to yours, TaurusGirl: An acquaintance of mine threw what she called a "love and happiness" party one midsummer. As the evening progressed, the guests gradually found out that she and her partner had gotten married earlier that day. They wanted to celebrate with their friends, and with good food and live music, but didn't want a whole lot of fuss made about them.  It seemed to work out the way they wanted it, too.

(Sorry, no advice, just the related story.)

Hmmmmm

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »
If concern on gifts is really the issue...

I know you are never to mention gifts. But a friend married in November overseas. They told everyone they'd do a in town celebration later. They chose New Years Day. Their invite said something around

A New Year, A New Journey
Jack & Jill invite you to join us as we celebrate our union.
Open House from 2 to 8pm
Kids, friends and visiting relatives are all welcome
A buffet of revolving menu items will be offered through the day*

RSVP                          We only wish to celebrate with you. But if you choose
Jill@xxx.com               commemorate our union with a gift, a donation to the Alzheimer Foundation
                                  would be appreciated.

*She owns a catering company. It was a gourmet extravaganza. We hated to leave.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 07:47:56 PM »
Hi all! Thank you for the suggestions, ideas, and anecdotes. I'm feeling much more comfortable with how we are choosing to host our post-wedding shindig.

I think we will go with an informal e-vite to a bbq "get-together", and basically phrase it like it's just a backyard party (which is what we're going for). Our mothers are happy to field any gift/registry questions, so that is covered as well.

Now , I should get at it as I only have 16 months to plan!