News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 01, 2015, 10:34:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread  (Read 11217 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
Good luck both of you!

I finally got a firm start date of Monday morning for my new gig. Yay!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Cherry91

« Reply #136 on: Today at 06:36:26 AM »
*Casts resurrect on thread - it's only been two months, that's not too bad...*

So a slightly odd development...

I'd been temping at an education based company for just over two months, when they decided to end my contract (they'd hired me to cover a period of holiday/turnover, and now had enough people back). I came in for my last day on Friday... to receive a permanent job offer!

Now, this isn't the industry I want to build a career in, but it's a job, can start pretty quick and is decent enough money. It also will help the household if we do end up hitting a slight rough spot financially in the next few months (long story, not worth getting into, but it's been the elephant in the room for a while).

I've accepted the job - my thoughts are I can maybe do some classes, try a few things I didn't have the time or money for previously, and move on when the time is right with some money in the kitty, some experience rather than long gaps on my CV, and so on. So it's "adjacent" as my mother puts it, but it is progress.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #137 on: Today at 08:37:11 AM »
I'm so happy for you!

I have now applied for 18 jobs internal to my organization. 8 are still in the open application stage, so I hope to hear back from at least one. I'm trying not to get discouraged.