News:

• April 20, 2018, 07:55:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 4538132 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #16830 on: September 09, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
Braeburn is a type of apple.  :)

Sharnita

« Reply #16831 on: September 09, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
Braeburn is a variety of apple.  Pearsyn has pears at the beginning

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #16832 on: September 09, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
Now, you see, I remember the early days of feminism, when some people were stridently against the word 'woman' because it had that dreadful syllable 'MAN' in it.  They insisted on spelling it 'womyn'.  So when I see "Pearsyn" the pronunciation in my head is "Person". 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16833 on: September 09, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »
Now, you see, I remember the early days of feminism, when some people were stridently against the word 'woman' because it had that dreadful syllable 'MAN' in it.  They insisted on spelling it 'womyn'.  So when I see "Pearsyn" the pronunciation in my head is "Person".

I pronounce it in my head as Peer-son (as though it were spelled Pearson)

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #16834 on: September 09, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
My mother's middle name is Rae.  His mother's middle name is Fay.

We briefly considered naming our next daughter Fay Rae Lastname...

LazyDaisy

« Reply #16835 on: September 10, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
My mother's middle name is Rae.  His mother's middle name is Fay.

We briefly considered naming our next daughter Fay Rae Lastname...
As long as you don't have a son named King Kong, I think you are OK  ;)  since most people don't include their middle names; or did you mean to call her "Fay Rae" all the time?

I once had a client named Jean Poole. My inner 10-year-old giggled quietly every time. Although to be fair, she was an older lady and so might have married into the last name.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

siamesecat2965

« Reply #16836 on: September 11, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
Warning: a bit crude with profanity, but otherwise quite a funny article on baby names.

http://deadspin.com/5924827/american-baby-names-are-somehow-getting-even-worse 

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #16837 on: September 11, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
Warning: a bit crude with profanity, but otherwise quite a funny article on baby names.

http://deadspin.com/5924827/american-baby-names-are-somehow-getting-even-worse 

Funny, but... some of those names are old, established ones that just happen to be coming back in style. Zebulon, for instance, was very stylish in my grandmother's day. She bucked the trend and went with new, flashy names like Alice and Robert. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Shea

« Reply #16838 on: September 12, 2012, 10:05:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Zebulon is from the Bible.

Still, being Biblical isn't a get-out-of-Baby-Name-Hell free card. If I'm ever introduced to baby Mahershalalhashbaz or dear little Zaphnath-Paaneah, I'm still going to think Mom and/or Dad were out of their minds ;D.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Kariachi

« Reply #16839 on: September 12, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »
I'm amazed he listed Bastian. The rest I can sorta understand, but Bastian as a horrible name is just leaving me and my family scratching our heads...

Then again, my sister plans to name a son Malik...
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Sharnita

« Reply #16840 on: September 12, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »
I'm amazed he listed Bastian. The rest I can sorta understand, but Bastian as a horrible name is just leaving me and my family scratching our heads...

Then again, my sister plans to name a son Malik...

I've known more than one Malik.  it is not all that unusual, though I think it does tend to give people a certain impression of the individual's ethnicity.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #16841 on: September 12, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »
I've only heard Bastian as a shortened version of Sebastian -- which is not a particularly crazy name but not one thats terribly popular. I don't like that cutesy shorted slang names become full legal names myself. For instance, Xander instead of Alexander.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Jones

« Reply #16842 on: September 12, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »
I've only heard Bastian as a shortened version of Sebastian -- which is not a particularly crazy name but not one thats terribly popular. I don't like that cutesy shorted slang names become full legal names myself. For instance, Xander instead of Alexander.

I had to look this up because for some reason I thought Xander was a surname-name. Turns out it's both. I won't say what the name Xander means to me (I rather like it), but I get your drift, and found it interesting enough to look up.  ;D
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

magicdomino

« Reply #16843 on: September 12, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »

I suspect the problem is that Bastian sounds just a little too much like bastard for the author's tastes.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #16844 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
Its not incredibly weird, but I know a couple who just named their daughter Ellery. Its not a common name at all to begin with, but I was under the impression that it has always been solidly in the 'male' camp, no?

I always thought Ellery was a female name. I remember Ellery Queen being one of my mom's favorite mystery novelists, and i thought it was such a pretty name when i was young. Turns out it was a pseudonym...for two dudes. And Ellery was a man. I learn so much here  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellery_Queen

In my defense, both the novels and the tv show were well before my time.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem