News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 3910380 times)

magicdomino

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #16845 on: September 12, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »
I'm amazed he listed Bastian. The rest I can sorta understand, but Bastian as a horrible name is just leaving me and my family scratching our heads...

I suspect the problem is that Bastian sounds just a little too much like bastard for the author's tastes.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #16846 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
Itís not incredibly weird, but I know a couple who just named their daughter Ellery. Itís not a common name at all to begin with, but I was under the impression that it has always been solidly in the 'male' camp, no?

I always thought Ellery was a female name. I remember Ellery Queen being one of my mom's favorite mystery novelists, and i thought it was such a pretty name when i was young. Turns out it was a pseudonym...for two dudes. And Ellery was a man. I learn so much here  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellery_Queen

In my defense, both the novels and the tv show were well before my time.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Betelnut

« Reply #16847 on: September 12, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »
In the birth announcements today: Ja'Zayah Reginae.  It lists her sister as: Ny'erah Rojai'y

I kid you not.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Shea

« Reply #16848 on: September 12, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
In the birth announcements today: Ja'Zayah Reginae.  It lists her sister as: Ny'erah Rojai'y

I kid you not.

Let us have a moment of silence for the cruelly murdered apostrophe.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #16849 on: September 12, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »

I kid you not.

That made me laugh out loud  ;D
Poor apostrophe.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16850 on: September 12, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »

I kid you not.

I wanna put this on a shirt.

Sirius

« Reply #16851 on: September 12, 2012, 08:01:18 PM »
Aaaaaand another formerly male name is switching genders...

I was at the doctor's office this morning and there was a mother with a newborn baby there.  The mother proudly announced that the child's name was Emery.  Then she got annoyed when the receptionist asked when "he" had been born.  "She's a girl!  How could you not see that?"  Um, maybe because all one could see of the child was a sleeping face over a blue blanket...?

I've known three Emerys in my life.  All of them male.  Maybe I'm just strange, but I have never heard it used for a girl.   ???

I think of it as a male name, as the only Emery I've ever known was a former male pastor of our church.  (He pitched too many temper tantrums and was voted out.  He was stunned that we'd do that, but we on the trustee board were tired of it.)

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #16852 on: September 13, 2012, 03:56:13 AM »
Sebastian and Bastian are both still common in Germany. Yes, Bastian is a shortened version of Sebastian.  Both can also be shorted to Basti.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #16853 on: September 13, 2012, 06:48:04 AM »
Sebastian and Bastian are both still common in Germany. Yes, Bastian is a shortened version of Sebastian.  Both can also be shorted to Basti.
Or Baz.
<3

Betelnut

« Reply #16854 on: September 13, 2012, 08:32:14 AM »

I kid you not.

LOL! 
Native Texan, Marylander currently

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #16855 on: September 13, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »

I kid you not.

And let us conduct the memorial service in Pig Latin  >:D

snowdragon

« Reply #16856 on: September 16, 2012, 02:01:56 AM »
I met a man named Spain today.

far as the two previous names,,,, how the heck would they be pronounced!

katiescarlett

« Reply #16857 on: September 16, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
I have a friend with a daughter named Re'Elle.  While I like the name, I am not sure about the spelling.  It took me awhile to get used to when she was a baby.  The mom had liked the name Gabrielle and the dad didn't, but both liked the ending of it, so they came up with Re'Elle's name.  I think she (she is 11 now) likes to have her name shortened to Re sometimes.

They came up with the spelling because they wanted to be sure people could pronounce it correctly.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #16858 on: September 16, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »
I have a friend with a daughter named Re'Elle.  While I like the name, I am not sure about the spelling.  It took me awhile to get used to when she was a baby.  The mom had liked the name Gabrielle and the dad didn't, but both liked the ending of it, so they came up with Re'Elle's name.  I think she (she is 11 now) likes to have her name shortened to Re sometimes.

They came up with the spelling because they wanted to be sure people could pronounce it correctly.

You mean it's pronounced like Rielle Hunter's name?
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #16859 on: September 16, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
Ja'Zayah Reginae sounds like- jah Zaye yuh  Re gin ay

Ny'erah Rojai'y  sounds like- Ni ear uh Ro jay ih

maybe??
 :o

anyone else want a stab at them?  (the name pronunciations, not the girls, or the parents who named them such!) ;)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.