A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3473/4380) > >>

--- Quote from: lady_disdain on April 15, 2013, 02:16:59 PM ---I met a very nice lady named Jocasta today. I refrained from asking if she had a son.

--- End quote ---

Or was she married to a younger man.

--- Quote from: Coralreef on April 15, 2013, 02:02:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: Vall on April 15, 2013, 07:40:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: Editeer on April 14, 2013, 08:27:12 PM ---I read in the news today about a 9-year-old boy named Shjohn.

--- End quote ---

It took me a few tries pronouncing it to realize that it's probably pronounced like Sean.

--- End quote ---

Not being a native English speaker, I always thought that Sean was pronounced like "Seen", until a friend corrected me.  Shawn, no problem.  Sean, I still have a hard time "feeling" the sound.

--- End quote ---

That's because it's not English.  ;D It's the Irish version of the french Jean (John) because in the Irish language there is no J.

The name Sean bugs me on Sean Bean. Either you are Seen Bean or you are Shawn Bawn. You can't have it both ways sir.

I went to the Dr on monday, and the girl sitting across the way from me in the waiting room was named... Latrine.

You miss...are named after a toilet.

"Such an unusual name, Latrine, how did your family come by it?"
"We changed it in the 9th century."
"You changed your name TO Latrine?"
"Yeah! Used to be S***thouse!"
"Good change! That's a good change!"

I can't tell the real name, but a couple I'm aquainted with - German, decidedly caucasian features - gave their kid two names of Manga heroines. Very Japanese names that will never be pronounced correctly in German phonetics. Incidentally, the first of these names, if pronounced as written, is also the name of a well-known brand of laundry detergent, which will make life considerably difficult once the kid goes to school :/

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version