A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3473/3795) > >>

lady_disdain:
I met a very nice lady named Jocasta today. I refrained from asking if she had a son.

Bethczar:

--- Quote from: Coralreef on April 15, 2013, 03:02:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: Vall on April 15, 2013, 08:40:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: Editeer on April 14, 2013, 09:27:12 PM ---I read in the news today about a 9-year-old boy named Shjohn.

--- End quote ---

It took me a few tries pronouncing it to realize that it's probably pronounced like Sean.

--- End quote ---

Not being a native English speaker, I always thought that Sean was pronounced like "Seen", until a friend corrected me.  Shawn, no problem.  Sean, I still have a hard time "feeling" the sound.

--- End quote ---
I'm a native English speaker, and I still have a problem with it. Don't even get me started on Sean Bean.  ;D

BB-VA:

--- Quote from: lady_disdain on April 15, 2013, 03:16:59 PM ---I met a very nice lady named Jocasta today. I refrained from asking if she had a son.

--- End quote ---

Or was she married to a younger man.

Nibsey:

--- Quote from: Coralreef on April 15, 2013, 03:02:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: Vall on April 15, 2013, 08:40:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: Editeer on April 14, 2013, 09:27:12 PM ---I read in the news today about a 9-year-old boy named Shjohn.

--- End quote ---

It took me a few tries pronouncing it to realize that it's probably pronounced like Sean.

--- End quote ---

Not being a native English speaker, I always thought that Sean was pronounced like "Seen", until a friend corrected me.  Shawn, no problem.  Sean, I still have a hard time "feeling" the sound.

--- End quote ---

That's because it's not English.  ;D It's the Irish version of the french Jean (John) because in the Irish language there is no J.

Calistoga:
The name Sean bugs me on Sean Bean. Either you are Seen Bean or you are Shawn Bawn. You can't have it both ways sir.

I went to the Dr on monday, and the girl sitting across the way from me in the waiting room was named... Latrine.

You miss...are named after a toilet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version