A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3484/3732) > >>

Pen^2:

--- Quote from: Nikko-chan on June 07, 2013, 12:57:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: juanita on June 07, 2013, 12:44:27 AM ---Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. A mother in New Orleans named her daughter le- a. Most people would just ignore the mark and call her Lea , Leah or lei right ? Well according to the mother it's, wait for it.............. La dash A!!! CRIVINS!!  :o :o she was mad that the child's name was mispronounced all. The. Time. She said the dash don't be silent! Sorry heard this a few years ago and I am still lmao  ;D

--- End quote ---

i think that is an urban legend

--- End quote ---

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp almost certainly a legend. I've heard it and dozens of minor variants. It's always an African-American mother (either stated explicitly or by stereotyped use of incorrect grammar like that above: "the dash don't be silent!" and implied with a place, e.g. the New Orleans bit). It's basically a racist urban legend which was probably made up at some point.

Today there was a woman at the supermarket whose name, according to her nametag, was 'Dog'. I really hope it's a cruel and inappropriate joke done by her coworkers, and not a parent who would have done such a thing...

juanita:
Oops sorry! I've only heard it once and thought it was funny.

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: Pen^2 on June 07, 2013, 06:28:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: Nikko-chan on June 07, 2013, 12:57:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: juanita on June 07, 2013, 12:44:27 AM ---Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. A mother in New Orleans named her daughter le- a. Most people would just ignore the mark and call her Lea , Leah or lei right ? Well according to the mother it's, wait for it.............. La dash A!!! CRIVINS!!  :o :o she was mad that the child's name was mispronounced all. The. Time. She said the dash don't be silent! Sorry heard this a few years ago and I am still lmao  ;D

--- End quote ---

i think that is an urban legend

--- End quote ---

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp almost certainly a legend. I've heard it and dozens of minor variants. It's always an African-American mother (either stated explicitly or by stereotyped use of incorrect grammar like that above: "the dash don't be silent!" and implied with a place, e.g. the New Orleans bit). It's basically a racist urban legend which was probably made up at some point.

Today there was a woman at the supermarket whose name, according to her nametag, was 'Dog'. I really hope it's a cruel and inappropriate joke done by her coworkers, and not a parent who would have done such a thing...

--- End quote ---
FWIW, I was told the story by my students, who were black and ardently believed that it was true so I don't particularly see it as a racist urban legend.

bansidhe:

--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on June 06, 2013, 12:32:57 PM ---There are a very few names that say "specific religion" to me, but only a few: I would advise against naming a child Christian, Christine, or Christopher if you aren't Christian, and against Mohammed if you aren't Muslim (in both cases so a child doesn't have to keep explaining that s/he doesn't go to church, or that yes he eats pork).
--- End quote ---

My husband's name is Christian. He's an atheist, as were his parents. I don't think many people associate that name with religion at all, and I doubt anyone associates Christine or Christopher with religion.

Betelnut:

--- Quote from: bansidhe on June 07, 2013, 06:47:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on June 06, 2013, 12:32:57 PM ---There are a very few names that say "specific religion" to me, but only a few: I would advise against naming a child Christian, Christine, or Christopher if you aren't Christian, and against Mohammed if you aren't Muslim (in both cases so a child doesn't have to keep explaining that s/he doesn't go to church, or that yes he eats pork).
--- End quote ---

My husband's name is Christian. He's an atheist, as were his parents. I don't think many people associate that name with religion at all, and I doubt anyone associates Christine or Christopher with religion.

--- End quote ---

I don't associate Christine or Christopher with religion but Christian?  Oh yeah, since that is the name of the religion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version