A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3496/4393) > >>

daen:
A subset of the creative spellings genre that's been alternately annoying and amusing me lately: Names that are creatively spelled to fit into a first initials scheme.  The two that come to mind are "Jinger," which I assume is "Ginger" revised to fit into a family of J names, and "Cyleigh," which I assume is pronounced "KY-lee", and spelled thus to fit in with the other C names in the family.

I'm not sure which is more annoying - forcing names to fit into a first-initials scheme (even though the spelling obscures the pronounciation), or suddenly dropping the pattern (so you have, say, James, John, Jackson, Joseph, and Noah, and Noah is left wondering why he isn't part of the group).

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: daen on July 13, 2013, 04:30:03 PM ---A subset of the creative spellings genre that's been alternately annoying and amusing me lately: Names that are creatively spelled to fit into a first initials scheme.  The two that come to mind are "Jinger," which I assume is "Ginger" revised to fit into a family of J names, and "Cyleigh," which I assume is pronounced "KY-lee", and spelled thus to fit in with the other C names in the family.

I'm not sure which is more annoying - forcing names to fit into a first-initials scheme (even though the spelling obscures the pronounciation), or suddenly dropping the pattern (so you have, say, James, John, Jackson, Joseph, and Noah, and Noah is left wondering why he isn't part of the group).

--- End quote ---
My aunt alternated L and S, along with creeeeaytive spellling.

I always found that it was easier to have everybody with a different first initial.  That way, you can make a note on the calender "J to dr. @3" and don't have to wonder if it's James, John, Jackson, or Joseph.

gmatoy:

--- Quote from: Brentwood on May 20, 2007, 11:12:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: IndianInlaw on May 19, 2007, 08:51:36 PM ---I know all my crossing guard kid's names because they have them written in marker on their backpacks...smart, huh? ???

--- End quote ---

At my daughter's school, we are required to write the child's name on the backpack.

--- End quote ---

I would write it on the part that goes next to the child's back and therefore wouldn't be seen while on the child's back. I don't think you need to make it easy for strangers to read the name.

gmatoy:

--- Quote from: Morty'sCleaningLady on June 01, 2007, 11:29:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: kingsrings on May 30, 2007, 06:31:13 PM ---Some old-fashioned names are timeless and just fine, but some are terribly outdated and would make any baby sound like an ugly old grandma. Can you imagine some poor baby girl stuck with Mildred, Hortense, or Gertrude?

--- End quote ---

I'm 35 with no children, but Mildred is on my short list should I ever have any daughters. I also kind of like Gertrude.  Both names are classic and have great nicknames: Millie and Trudy.  Hardly anyone still associates the name Millie for Barbara Bush's English Springer spaniel any more.

--- End quote ---

My Aunt Mildred was nicknamed Mickey. I was a teen-ager when I met her, so I called her "Aunt Mickey Mouse" and she liked it!

twiggy:
this is from Cracked.com, so NSFW, but still very funny

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-real-baby-names-that-wont-make-any-sense-in-few-years/

The names:

5.Khaleesi (Game of Thrones)
4. Bentley (16 and Pregnant)
3. Sookie (True Blood)
2. Jax (Sons of Anarchy)
1. Facebook/Like/Hashtag

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version