A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3496/3777) > >>

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: lilfox on July 12, 2013, 07:04:45 PM ---...
Also, I have coworkers named Jack and Jean.  Totally normal names, except I never want to say "Hi" to them.   :P

--- End quote ---

LOL!  Especially your friend, Jack.  And especially NOT in an airport!!

*inviteseller:
Just saw one on FB..friend of a friend..Otayvia

daen:
A subset of the creative spellings genre that's been alternately annoying and amusing me lately: Names that are creatively spelled to fit into a first initials scheme.  The two that come to mind are "Jinger," which I assume is "Ginger" revised to fit into a family of J names, and "Cyleigh," which I assume is pronounced "KY-lee", and spelled thus to fit in with the other C names in the family.

I'm not sure which is more annoying - forcing names to fit into a first-initials scheme (even though the spelling obscures the pronounciation), or suddenly dropping the pattern (so you have, say, James, John, Jackson, Joseph, and Noah, and Noah is left wondering why he isn't part of the group).

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: daen on July 13, 2013, 05:30:03 PM ---A subset of the creative spellings genre that's been alternately annoying and amusing me lately: Names that are creatively spelled to fit into a first initials scheme.  The two that come to mind are "Jinger," which I assume is "Ginger" revised to fit into a family of J names, and "Cyleigh," which I assume is pronounced "KY-lee", and spelled thus to fit in with the other C names in the family.

I'm not sure which is more annoying - forcing names to fit into a first-initials scheme (even though the spelling obscures the pronounciation), or suddenly dropping the pattern (so you have, say, James, John, Jackson, Joseph, and Noah, and Noah is left wondering why he isn't part of the group).

--- End quote ---
My aunt alternated L and S, along with creeeeaytive spellling.

I always found that it was easier to have everybody with a different first initial.  That way, you can make a note on the calender "J to dr. @3" and don't have to wonder if it's James, John, Jackson, or Joseph.

gmatoy:

--- Quote from: Brentwood on May 20, 2007, 12:12:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: IndianInlaw on May 19, 2007, 09:51:36 PM ---I know all my crossing guard kid's names because they have them written in marker on their backpacks...smart, huh? ???

--- End quote ---

At my daughter's school, we are required to write the child's name on the backpack.

--- End quote ---

I would write it on the part that goes next to the child's back and therefore wouldn't be seen while on the child's back. I don't think you need to make it easy for strangers to read the name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version