Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1998470 times)

staceym

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17565 on: August 12, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
I thought I put this here  - I believe this is the first time I ever heard of  a US judge orde a name change

A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV. The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

Ballew said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

poundcake

« Reply #17566 on: August 12, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
I thought I put this here  - I believe this is the first time I ever heard of  a US judge orde a name change

A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV. The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

Ballew said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

That's a terrible name, but the point is, there is a judge who clearly doesn't understand US law.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17567 on: August 12, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »
Yea. I may not agree, but he is WAY out of bounds on that one.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hillia

« Reply #17568 on: August 12, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
I bet Judge Reinhold really aggravates her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17569 on: August 12, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
Yea. I may not agree, but he is WAY out of bounds on that one.

Exactly. I think it's a very silly name that would result in lots of teasing, but it's the parents' choice as to what to name their child.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17570 on: August 12, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »
I saw this story on line earlier.  The name is not my cup of tea, but how dare that judge rename a child the way she wants.  I hope this is overturned simply because she overstepped big time.

snowdragon

« Reply #17571 on: August 12, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »
Meh. Messiah is not that bad. Lost of kids are name Jesus, and they survive...but until she appeals she can pronounce his name anyway way she wants.   >:D >:D Put a few apostrophe's in and tell folks "Can't you see, it's Messiah!"  >:D >:D  yeah, the whole idea of a judge naming a kid against his parents wishes, is just as ludicrous at that. 

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17572 on: August 12, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
The judge was just interviewed on the news and she said "It is a title"..maybe to her and her beliefs, but she can't force her beliefs on anyone else. 

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #17573 on: August 12, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »
Yes, by etymology it's a title.

So are "Duke," "Earl," "Queen," and "Prince," and those are all used as given names in this republic, where nobody is awarded those titles.

Are we next going to have a judge saying that parents can't name their child "Dolores" because only the Virgin Mary is entitled to be called "Our Lady of Sorrows"?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Vall

« Reply #17574 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
When I read this in the news, I immediately thought of this thread and wondered if someone would post about it.  I think it's a horrible name but the part that surprised me was this:

"Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names."

Oh, yuck.  A horrible name that may become a trend.  While I would never blame a person for having whatever name their parents gave them, I couldn't help shying away from a person who wanted me to call them Messiah.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #17575 on: August 12, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
Also, the BBC website has an interview with a young man whose parents named him "Messiah": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23626986

He says his name wasn't a big deal when he was growing up, including when he was running a Bible study group at his grandparents' church.

He probably has less trouble getting people to spell his name right than I do with mine (a fairly ordinary given name that has three about-equally-common spellings, and at least one rarer one).
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Library Dragon

« Reply #17576 on: August 12, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »
Came across siblings today with the names
Apifany and Apastrefie.  I thought, 'Oh, my! At least they could be spelled correctly.'

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17577 on: August 13, 2013, 01:54:32 AM »
Curious - Messias is an old fashioned name here and rather out of fashion but it wouldn't even register as weird on my radar. Cultural differences.

poundcake

« Reply #17578 on: August 13, 2013, 06:17:56 AM »
The judge was just interviewed on the news and she said "It is a title"..maybe to her and her beliefs, but she can't force her beliefs on anyone else.

Exactly. Her reasoning is grounded in her personal belief system and religion. That is not how legal rulings are supposed to work in a democracy.

Can he go by "Mess" as a nickname?

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17579 on: August 13, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »
I just remembered going to a friend's party and meeting a guy named Nimrod ("Nim" to his friends).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)