Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1951752 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17580 on: August 13, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
The judge was just interviewed on the news and she said "It is a title"..maybe to her and her beliefs, but she can't force her beliefs on anyone else.

Exactly. Her reasoning is grounded in her personal belief system and religion. That is not how legal rulings are supposed to work in a democracy.

Can he go by "Mess" as a nickname?
I'd go by Si...good old fashion nickname.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Cherry91

« Reply #17581 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »
I just remembered going to a friend's party and meeting a guy named Nimrod ("Nim" to his friends).

He should claim to be called Nimby and refuse to ever enter anyone's back garden.

Tini

« Reply #17582 on: August 13, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
I'd go by Hattie, personally.

I second that one.

Dawnfire, I think that is what they went with (at least according to the tabloid article that I read about her - yes, the child made the news). The family doesn't talk to her anymore, and I'm far far away in another country.

Cutenoob

« Reply #17583 on: August 14, 2013, 05:59:19 AM »
I just remembered going to a friend's party and meeting a guy named Nimrod ("Nim" to his friends).

He should claim to be called Nimby and refuse to ever enter anyone's back garden.
I see what you did there!

At a park a couple of days ago, I heard a mom hollering "Ireland, it's time to go home!". Ireland? Ookay.

Cherry91

« Reply #17584 on: August 14, 2013, 08:08:42 AM »

At a park a couple of days ago, I heard a mom hollering "Ireland, it's time to go home!". Ireland? Ookay.

In the UK, there's a woman called Katie Hopkins who was on The Apprentice a few years back. I don't think she won, but she's so out there that the media insists on paying her attention. She's good for a controversial quote, for one thing.

Anyway, her latest gaffe was going on one of the morning TV shows and claiming that she won't allow her daughter to play with any child that she doesn't like (read: looks down on) the name of. One of the items on the "No" list was anyone named after a place.

"Hang on" said one of the hosts. "Your daughter is called India."
"Yes", said KH, but she wasn't named after a place.
The host spoke for everyone watching when she face palmed.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #17585 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »

In the UK, there's a woman called Katie Hopkins who was on The Apprentice a few years back. I don't think she won, but she's so out there that the media insists on paying her attention. She's good for a controversial quote, for one thing.

Anyway, her latest gaffe was going on one of the morning TV shows and claiming that she won't allow her daughter to play with any child that she doesn't like (read: looks down on) the name of. One of the items on the "No" list was anyone named after a place.

"Hang on" said one of the hosts. "Your daughter is called India."
"Yes", said KH, but she wasn't named after a place.
The host spoke for everyone watching when she face palmed.

It's possible she wasn't.  My first thought wouldn't have been the country but India Wilkes from Gone with the Wind.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #17586 on: August 14, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »
I saw that interview and the mom was basically saying that she screens playmates for her kids based on names.

How is anyone to know how you came up with your child's name, anyway? 
India could have several sources.  The mom was going for camera time, nothing more.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

snowdragon

« Reply #17587 on: August 14, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
F'l'x is apparently pronouced Felice.  I met a little girl named that today.

my try at pronouncing it was Felix and I expected the child to be a boy.

I am not hip, enough to get it I guess.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17588 on: August 14, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »

Alec Baldwin's daughter is named Ireland.  Celebrities like to name their children after places, don't they?

Dr. F.

« Reply #17589 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »

Did anyone else's brain go to some horrible political place when reading that? Just me? OK.

metallicafan

« Reply #17590 on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »
Ooooooooooh,  really odd way out there names are one of my personal pet peeves.  I just flat out don't understand why parents do that.  My two boys have traditional names commonly associated with my heritage  (Italian).

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17591 on: August 15, 2013, 02:27:40 AM »
I was just thinking of this while trying to sleep - my oldest sister's middle name. It's Shoshanna.

Of course, we lovingly combine this with her first name (Rachel) and call her Ratsh*tshoeshine.

It's still a terribly awkward name, though.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Betelnut

« Reply #17592 on: August 15, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
In today's birth announcements (Southern Maryland):  Messiah. 

So either the parents were reading the news or it is just a strange coincidence.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #17593 on: August 15, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »
I bet Judge Reinhold really aggravates her.

;D That made me snort! Funny stuff.  ;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #17594 on: August 15, 2013, 07:47:26 PM »

I went to school with a Nimrod - no, really :) - He was sweet. I forget where he was from, but it wasn't the US.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem