Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1837057 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17610 on: August 16, 2013, 04:35:10 PM »
A long time ago, I worked with a woman named "America." At the time I thought she was named after the place (either the continents or the United States), but the place was named after a person. Specifically, it's from a map-maker's given name, so maybe her name is a variant on "Amerigo."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

daen

« Reply #17611 on: August 17, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »
Just seen elsewhere on the internets:

Le'Genius Wisdom [Lastname]

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17612 on: August 17, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »
Wow..that seems to be a big name to live up to.

squeakers

« Reply #17613 on: August 18, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »
http://www.kcrg.com/home/top-9/Beezow-Doo-Doo-Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-Faces-Drug-Charges-in-Washington-Co-219990661.html

Ok, so it's not a baby given the name but rather someone who chose the name themselves.  But it is a funny name!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Bethczar

« Reply #17614 on: August 18, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »
http://www.kcrg.com/home/top-9/Beezow-Doo-Doo-Zopittybop-Bop-Bop-Faces-Drug-Charges-in-Washington-Co-219990661.html

Ok, so it's not a baby given the name but rather someone who chose the name themselves.  But it is a funny name!
Oh, yes, he's from my town. It's not a surprise that he's a druggie.

daen

« Reply #17615 on: August 18, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
Just seen elsewhere on the internets:

Le'Genius Wisdom [Lastname]
Wow..that seems to be a big name to live up to.

I came across the name in a news report.
He is 13 and has turned himself in to the police. He is facing charges for attempted murder of another teen.
Turning himself in shows some wisdom. Shooting at another human being who didn't shoot at him first - perhaps not so much.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17616 on: August 18, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »
Moly. (pronounced molly) saw it on the new game show The Chase. Anyone see this spelling of Molly before?

GreenHall

« Reply #17617 on: August 18, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
When my siter in law was pregnant, early on she was mentioning names.

I heard Heiress, and I'm sure my face was interesting as I tried to figure out how to respond.  So she spelled the name, E-r-I-s. 

Oh, I had a mental connection there! "Like the goddess of Discord?"

Not my finest moment, but if the name was truly in contention, I don't feel too bad about basically letting them know the first thing that popped into my mind.

Probably for the best the baby was a boy.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17618 on: August 18, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »
When my siter in law was pregnant, early on she was mentioning names.

I heard Heiress, and I'm sure my face was interesting as I tried to figure out how to respond.  So she spelled the name, E-r-I-s. 

Oh, I had a mental connection there! "Like the goddess of Discord?"

Not my finest moment, but if the name was truly in contention, I don't feel too bad about basically letting them know the first thing that popped into my mind.

Probably for the best the baby was a boy.

I actually know an Eris. That was my first association when I heard the name too. I've never mentioned it to her, but I'm sure she's heard it.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17619 on: August 20, 2013, 04:44:56 AM »
I'm growing increasingly uncomfortable with some of the 'funny' names submitted here.

Not to put too fine a point on it, a lot of the names are basically names (or naming conventions) associated with black communities. There have been many studies which show that such names hinder employment prospects, hinder chances of getting housing, and even cause children to be treated differently by teachers.

To say that sterotypically black names are 'funny' is highly problematic, and feeds into the kind of insidious urban legend we see exemplified in the tales of La-a, and the -jello twins.

I'm all for laughing at somebody who names their child 'Super T-Rex III', but I can't stand by and see the Shaniquas and DeShawns of this world being mocked because of their ethnic and cultural background.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #17620 on: August 20, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »
We saw one last night - "Jazzman". A woman, working at the restaurant we ate at - and she was white, for those who think that it's a racial thing.

Freakanomics said it best - naming your child something absurd is the easiest way to relegate them to the lower classes of work, in the vast majority of situations. For every Condoleezza Rice or Rumer Willis there's a few thousand "Latrina" or "Joe-Beth" named kids trying to get a job that doesn't stereotype them based on poor choices by their parents.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17621 on: August 20, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
We saw one last night - "Jazzman". A woman, working at the restaurant we ate at - and she was white, for those who think that it's a racial thing.    ...

Did you see the name written out?  It sounds like maybe her parents were trying for Jasmine.   :(

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #17622 on: August 20, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »
We saw one last night - "Jazzman". A woman, working at the restaurant we ate at - and she was white, for those who think that it's a racial thing.    ...

Did you see the name written out?  It sounds like maybe her parents were trying for Jasmine.   :(
It was on her apron, in two inch high embroidered letters - I hope it was just a misspelled Jasmine, but it was a far miss.

Betelnut

« Reply #17623 on: August 20, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
I'm growing increasingly uncomfortable with some of the 'funny' names submitted here.

Not to put too fine a point on it, a lot of the names are basically names (or naming conventions) associated with black communities. There have been many studies which show that such names hinder employment prospects, hinder chances of getting housing, and even cause children to be treated differently by teachers.

To say that sterotypically black names are 'funny' is highly problematic, and feeds into the kind of insidious urban legend we see exemplified in the tales of La-a, and the -jello twins.

I'm all for laughing at somebody who names their child 'Super T-Rex III', but I can't stand by and see the Shaniquas and DeShawns of this world being mocked because of their ethnic and cultural background.

I see what you mean but I don't think I've seen very many people making fun of Shaniqua or DeShawn per se.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

BB-VA

« Reply #17624 on: August 24, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »

I work in a call center and spoke on the phone to a young lady whose name was spelled Jazzman but she did pronounce it as Jasmine.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"