Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1890720 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17685 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:25 PM »

Also, at my work we have three guys named Aaron. So one is Amick (his last name starts with Mc-), another is Ace (his first name starts with the letters Ce-) and the third is A-a-ron. Pronounced with two long a's. We don't get them mixed up too often with a system like that in place.

We also used to have four Chris's. One is no longer with the company, but three were Chris (one female, two male) and one is Kris. We still have to qualify which Chris/Kris we're talking about because nobody's come up with something clever for that yet.

There were three Erics in my (co-ed) college dorm.  We called them Eric the Fruitbat, Eric the Half-a-Bee, and Schwa. Fruitbat, Half-Bee, and Schwa for short.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

exitzero

« Reply #17687 on: September 13, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »

Also, at my work we have three guys named Aaron. So one is Amick (his last name starts with Mc-), another is Ace (his first name starts with the letters Ce-) and the third is A-a-ron. Pronounced with two long a's. We don't get them mixed up too often with a system like that in place.

We also used to have four Chris's. One is no longer with the company, but three were Chris (one female, two male) and one is Kris. We still have to qualify which Chris/Kris we're talking about because nobody's come up with something clever for that yet.

There were three Erics in my (co-ed) college dorm.  We called them Eric the Fruitbat, Eric the Half-a-Bee, and Schwa. Fruitbat, Half-Bee, and Schwa for short.

It might not be politically correct, but my boyfriend has three good friends named Robert, (no Bob, Bobby or Will for them!), so we keep them straight just between us as "Black Robert" "White Robert" and "Gay Robert".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:22:36 PM by exitzero »

lilfox

« Reply #17688 on: September 13, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
I swear that about 90% of the men I work with are called Mike, Lee or Kevin.

We have a running joke at work that if you have to guess one of the lab guys' names, go with "Tom."  You'll be right more often than wrong.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #17689 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
Oh gosh, you guys are reminding me of the bus drivers here. ;D

You see, there's several drivers with similar/identical names. There's three Steves (Steve, Redheaded Steve and Steve-o), there's Larry, Larry and Gary, there's a couple of Tims... (And then there's Crazy Pat, who is an utter riot, but he's the only Pat so never mind that.) It gets pretty interesting at times!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Betelnut

« Reply #17690 on: September 13, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »
The recent quintuplets born:  Deniko, Dariz, Deonee, Daician and Daiten.

3 girls, 2 boys.  Which names go with which sex was not mentioned in the article.  The family already had three kids--all with "D" names also.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Carotte

« Reply #17691 on: September 13, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »
Well, this thread taught us that just because a name sounds a bit (or completedly) more girl than boy doesn't mean anything.  ::)
Proof of that, I would have guessed 2 girls (Deonee and Daiten)/3 boys, not the other way.

Betelnut

« Reply #17692 on: September 13, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »
Well, this thread taught us that just because a name sounds a bit (or completedly) more girl than boy doesn't mean anything.  ::)
Proof of that, I would have guessed 2 girls (Deonee and Daiten)/3 boys, not the other way.

I know.  I just googled some of the names and it was hit or miss whether these names are even names at all (until now that is!)  Deonee is the name of a male model, for example.

This is mean, but what is wrong with David, Debra, Dylan, Drake, Delaney, Dominick, Dominique, Delores, Drew, Dante, Denise and on and on and on?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17693 on: September 13, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »
My younger DD's middle name is Kevyn..pronounced like the boys name.  I found it in the girls section of a baby name book and it meant Peace..10 months before she was born (almost to the day) my beloved nephew Kevin passed away suddenly but had been suffering from a debilitating illness and I thought, what a way to honor such a great life especially as we knew he was at peace.  She loves when I tell her the story (although I have had some people tell me it was stupid  >:( >:( >:( )

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17694 on: September 14, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
The recent quintuplets born:  Deniko, Dariz, Deonee, Daician and Daiten.

3 girls, 2 boys.  Which names go with which sex was not mentioned in the article.  The family already had three kids--all with "D" names also.

The last three are the girls, IIRC. They also have four older siblings (including a set of twins), all names beginning with D too. But I never heard the older siblings' names.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17695 on: September 16, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
My younger DD's middle name is Kevyn..pronounced like the boys name.  I found it in the girls section of a baby name book and it meant Peace..10 months before she was born (almost to the day) my beloved nephew Kevin passed away suddenly but had been suffering from a debilitating illness and I thought, what a way to honor such a great life especially as we knew he was at peace.  She loves when I tell her the story (although I have had some people tell me it was stupid  >:( >:( >:( )

See, that is a great reason to give someone a more unusual name. I also heard a story once about someone who was pregnant and her husband was a soldier, and was deployed to a dangerous area. They made an agreement that if he didn't come back, she would give the baby a name with an unusual spelling, so that every time she had to correct someone's spelling of it she would think of her father and how much he loved her. Well, let's just say she got the unusual spelling. :( I think that's a sad story, but a very sweet one.

But I feel like with a lot of people, an unusual spelling is more about, "Look at me, I'm so creative and different, the normal spelling of the name isn't good enough for me!" Or rather, their kids, who are the ones who have to deal with it for the rest of their lives...
~Lynn2000

Allyson

« Reply #17696 on: September 16, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »

I sometimes read the thread to hear interesting names as I just love them.  Some of the things people dislike like giving girls boy-names is something I just love so I try not to take it personally as I generally think it has an undercurrent of sexism to declare a name gender specific. 

My only real issue with it is that it only seems to go the one way. So naming a girl Ryan is "cute" but nobody would think "oh, it would be so cute to name my son Melanie!" And once names start being used for girls, people get worried about giving them to their sons. If all names were gender neutral, that would be one thing, but this way it just seems a lot like "it's fine if my daughter plays with trucks, but my son can't play with dolls" valuing male over female.

There are some names that are always gender neutral to me, I really have no impression of them as being more one or the other, though, like Jamie, Lee or Terry.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17697 on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »

I sometimes read the thread to hear interesting names as I just love them.  Some of the things people dislike like giving girls boy-names is something I just love so I try not to take it personally as I generally think it has an undercurrent of sexism to declare a name gender specific. 

My only real issue with it is that it only seems to go the one way. So naming a girl Ryan is "cute" but nobody would think "oh, it would be so cute to name my son Melanie!" And once names start being used for girls, people get worried about giving them to their sons. If all names were gender neutral, that would be one thing, but this way it just seems a lot like "it's fine if my daughter plays with trucks, but my son can't play with dolls" valuing male over female.

There are some names that are always gender neutral to me, I really have no impression of them as being more one or the other, though, like Jamie, Lee or Terry.

Interesting point, it does seem as though names go from male to female and never the other way, though in recent decades I think a number of them have managed to balance between both genders (like the mentioned Jamie, Lee, and Terry). A lot of more recent surname names seem to be taking this path as well--no one was really named Keaton, say, and then it started popping up in both genders at roughly the same time, so it's too soon to say whether it will stay balanced or tip more towards girls or towards boys. I do occasionally still hear about boys being named Kelly or Leslie, though; these started as male names, then became almost exclusively female, and some parents are taking them back as boys' names. It's a fairly small number, though, and as mentioned they started as boys' names anyway--I've not heard of anyone naming their son a really solid female like Elizabeth or Jennifer.
~Lynn2000

fountainof

« Reply #17698 on: September 16, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
I know quite a few male Kelly's, if it is a girl it has generally been Kelley.  For names like Aaron, I only know boys with that name and girls have been Erin. I did have a client who was 30 and his name was Courtney and at first it seemed odd but you got really used to it and it suited being a man's name (I know it used to be but then it moved to a girl's name) and he when by Court and that seemed a neat man on a man.

I can see how it is harder to move a girl's name to a boy's though and I do agree.  However, with this era of unique names and old names coming back to life, I can see there would probably be more open-mindedness for boy names too.  While I am not a fan of names like Rock Star or Helicopter or something like that, choosing a name from a old 1906 name book seems like a great idea.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17699 on: September 16, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
I can see how it is harder to move a girl's name to a boy's though and I do agree.  However, with this era of unique names and old names coming back to life, I can see there would probably be more open-mindedness for boy names too.  While I am not a fan of names like Rock Star or Helicopter or something like that, choosing a name from a old 1906 name book seems like a great idea.

I'll look in the book again, this time for names that surprised me with the gender they appeared under. I remember Florence being under male names, for example--I think it started as a place name, like Dakota, and was apparently considered appropriate for "boys only" in 1906!
~Lynn2000