Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1890857 times)

lisen

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17745 on: September 20, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »
Hyacinth is originally a male name, in Greek; the flower name is taken from that. Does anyone reading this know enough French to know whether Hyacinth(e) is a flower-name in French as well as in English?

As a French-speaker, I can confirm this for you!

Hyacinthe is both a masculine and feminine name in French, though it is usually masculine. (It comes from the Greek name Hyacinthos.) The popular feminine variant in French is Jacinthe (pronounced Zha-saint). This comes from the popular Portugese Catholic apparition of Our Lady of Fatima, where the two girls who saw the apparition were called Jacinta and Lucia. Jacinta means "hyacinth" in Portugese, and Jacinthe was the French version of this popular saint's name. I must say that Hyacinthe is a very old-fashioned men's name. It would be like Winston in English.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17746 on: September 22, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
Is this the Loughead book? It's widely considered unreliable.
Most baby name books are unreliable, at least as far as what names actually mean, their origins, and when they were first introduced.  As a guide for what babies were being named at the time it was printed, it's as reliable as any other.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Bethczar

« Reply #17747 on: September 22, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
John Wayne was born Marion and there's Joyce Kilmer who wrote 'Trees'.

So was my paternal grandfather.  So, I had to get used to women named Marion because I thought it was a man's name.
My mother's middle name is Marion. She always complained that she had the male spelling. However, I have seen Marion far more often that Marian for females.

Another formerly male name is Jocelyn, often shortened to Joss. I've only seen it for girls recently.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17748 on: September 23, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »
Most baby name books are unreliable, at least as far as what names actually mean, their origins, and when they were first introduced.  As a guide for what babies were being named at the time it was printed, it's as reliable as any other.

True. There are some I consider better than others* (my collection runs over 100 books) but I have seen the reputable books roundly dismiss Loughead (which,  yes,  I have a copy of).

*I consider any name book which says Nevaeh is "Slavic for butterfly" to be junk,  for example.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17749 on: September 23, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »

True. There are some I consider better than others* (my collection runs over 100 books) but I have seen the reputable books roundly dismiss Loughead (which,  yes,  I have a copy of).

*I consider any name book which says Nevaeh is "Slavic for butterfly" to be junk,  for example.
Or that a name is "Celtic" or "Teutonic."  (I have a 1930 baby name book that uses both of those.  "German" was still not a popular designation.)
into books first.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17750 on: September 25, 2013, 08:35:16 AM »

Or that a name is "Celtic" or "Teutonic."  (I have a 1930 baby name book that uses both of those.  "German" was still not a popular designation.)

Winthrop Ames?

Rohanna

« Reply #17751 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
Hyacinth is originally a male name, in Greek; the flower name is taken from that. Does anyone reading this know enough French to know whether Hyacinth(e) is a flower-name in French as well as in English?

It's jacinthe in French, not hyacinth. :)

In Portuguese it can be either - Jacinto for men and Jacinta for women.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17752 on: September 25, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »

Winthrop Ames?
:)  Got it in one.
into books first.

Editeer

« Reply #17753 on: September 25, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
My father (born in 1926) is named Sidney, and it was not an unusual men's name at the time. He had several acquaintances, friends, etc. with the same name.

heartmug

« Reply #17754 on: September 25, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
The author, Sidney Sheldon, he was born in 1917.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Anniissa

« Reply #17755 on: September 25, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »
Sidney is still very much a male name in the UK. Whilst there might be one or two female Sidneys, it is overwhelmingly seen as an older mans name. Ashley is still a boys name here too. There are more female Ashleys than Sidneys but it is still seen as a perfectly acceptable boys name. I know several male Ashleys but no female ones.

Carotte

« Reply #17756 on: September 25, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
Sidney is still very much a male name in the UK. Whilst there might be one or two female Sidneys, it is overwhelmingly seen as an older mans name. Ashley is still a boys name here too. There are more female Ashleys than Sidneys but it is still seen as a perfectly acceptable boys name. I know several male Ashleys but no female ones.

I'll always think of Ash as a boys name, but I think I'm more likely to think of Ashley as a girls name.
Ash -> Ash Ketchum from Pokemon, Ashley -> Ashley Simpson (who I actually have no idea of who she is/what she does).
Ash Ketchum who was named Sacha in France, a name I don't really like and even though I know it's a perfectly valid boys name for me it's scream 'girl' because it ends with an 'A'.
Also, how on earth is Sacha and Sandy short for Alexander?  :o

Betelnut

« Reply #17757 on: September 25, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
Alexander = Xander = Sander = Sandy ??
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

cwm

« Reply #17758 on: September 25, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »
Daughter of a friend of the family: Katia. At least I think that's how it's spelled. It's pronounced like K'Tia.

Saw a girl on Judge Judy the other day. Taelyr. I don't mind the name Taylor for a girl. Some people may not like it, but it's fine for me. But spelling it like that? Sorry, no.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17759 on: September 25, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
I don't get the point of bizarre spellings. How often do you really look at (much less take the time to appreciate) somebody's name when it's written down?

Contrast that with the number of times you hear/say a person's name, and consider also the number of times that it will be mispelled, or that you'll have to explain the spelling. It's bad enough for the likes of Kathy/Cathy, don't invent new sources of confusion!

A woman I went to school with recently had a son and named him Jak. Pronounced exactly like Jack. What on earth is the point of that? He'll be "Jack-without-a-c" for the rest of his life.