A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3560/3739) > >>

LifeOnPluto:
Here's an interesting scenario:

Friends of mine have just had their second child. Their eldest daughter's name is (let's say) "Rebecca Hannah Smith". Their second daughter's name is "Hannah Madeline Smith"

What do you guys think of this - having your second child's first name the same as your first child's middle name?

I have mixed thoughts. It's sweet that the sisters share a name. But I think it would have worked better if both sisters had Hannah as their middle name (so the younger was Madeline Hannah Smith). To me, it's like "Hannah" didn't make the cut as the elder daughter's first name, but it was "good enough" for the younger daughter's first name.

Thoughts?

cabbagegirl28:

--- Quote from: LifeOnPluto on October 08, 2013, 10:30:13 PM ---Here's an interesting scenario:

Friends of mine have just had their second child. Their eldest daughter's name is (let's say) "Rebecca Hannah Smith". Their second daughter's name is "Hannah Madeline Smith"

What do you guys think of this - having your second child's first name the same as your first child's middle name?

I have mixed thoughts. It's sweet that the sisters share a name. But I think it would have worked better if both sisters had Hannah as their middle name (so the younger was Madeline Hannah Smith). To me, it's like "Hannah" didn't make the cut as the elder daughter's first name, but it was "good enough" for the younger daughter's first name.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

I personally think that children deserve to have their own identities as much as possible while still being connected to the family. If violinp and I had similar names, I probably would have changed my name when I was legally able to do so. Unless it's meant to start a family tradition, like every kid of the same gender gets the same first name and is called by the middle name, I think that the children's names need to be separate enough that they can be seen as their own person.

iridaceae:
It reminds me of my great-grandfather and one of his brothers...imaginatively named William Henry and Henry William. We thought the census goofed and named great grandfather twice until I ran across the other one's (highly unusual last name so I know it isn't a stranger I found) marriage announcement. He married someone who was definitely not my great grandmother and lived at the other end of the state- my great grandfather lived in his same house all his life.

cwm:
I saw a few more in the course of work lately. Ransom and Lacresha.

Ransom is just not a name. (Well, apparently it is, so whatever.) It's weird. Why would you want to name your child that?

Lucretia/Lucrezia is a perfectly beautiful name, but when I see Lacresha I think lah-cresh-uh. It doesn't even seem like it would sound the same to me.

Carotte:
And to think that the little Ahhneastiy Lyyn that started this thread is around 5 y/old now, at least she probably has so many little friends with unique names that she doesn't feel so alone  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version