A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3560/3649) > >>

pwv:
Bride on "Say Yes To The Dress" :

Queen Precious-Jewel Earth (lastname)

Flibbertigibbet:
A lady in the hong kong office of a company i used to work for was called 'chlorophyll'. I did look her up on the website to see if she was in fact green, but alas the photo was in black and white so the result was inconclusive...;)

mime:
My mom used to work in an elementary school (I've volunteered there as well). 'Status' names (as we came to call them) were common: Diamond, Champagne, Platinum...

Then there was Felony.

The police were called to the school more than once for her out-of-control behavior. I guess the name was a bit prophetic.

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: mime on October 07, 2013, 11:24:52 AM ---...

Then there was Felony.

The police were called to the school more than once for her out-of-control behavior. I guess the name was a bit prophetic.

--- End quote ---

Or the opposite.  A name to live up to?

Kimblee:

--- Quote from: iridaceae on September 19, 2013, 09:32:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Curious Cat on September 19, 2013, 08:51:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: RegionMom on August 24, 2013, 04:03:10 PM ---Oluwatomiwa & Oluwatomisin.
--- End quote ---

I find this incredibly offensive. Just because you aren't able to pronounce these names doesn't qualify them as jibberish.

--- End quote ---
Correct; they are Yoruban names. So unless you consider the Yoruba language to be gibberish......

--- End quote ---

Since you seem to know the language these names come from(and I mean no offense asking this, I just can't seem to work it out myself) could you give the phonetic pronouciation of those names?

It's driving me nuts.

Our school had a policy for 'difficult' ethnic names. They asked the child/teen to say their name slowly to the office secretary, who wrote it out phonetically and sent it with the kid's papers to their teachers. Occasionally the fore mentioned phonetics had to be shared with the fellow students. And once a name so stumped the school (it had nine syllables and some had no vowels.) that the student herself took pity on the school and decided to go by "Min".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version