Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1834780 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17880 on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
Aline (Ah-Lee-ni) is a pretty common name in Portuguese. I had no idea someone would be able to stretch it out to Hallynnee.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17881 on: November 21, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
I'm catching up on CakeWrecks. On one of the cakes the birthday child's name is Jamyre, or possibly Jamyie. The other name on the cake is Kadence. It's Sunday Sweets, so presumably the names are spelled as desired. Kadence, okay, whatever, I actually rather like the name Cadence and this is just an unnecessary but not particularly troubling IMO spelling change.

But Jamyre? That's really different. I wonder how it's pronounced. juh-MYR, maybe (last syllable rhymes with fire). I'd rather it be Jamyre than Jamyie, because that seems bound for trouble (assuming it's a spelling of Jamie). I guess it could also be juh-MEER, but now I'm stuck on the "rhymes with fire" thing and kind of like that. That's definitely an arena-filling, no-surname-needed kind of name. "Ladies and gentlemen... JAMYRE!!!"

Oh, and then another cake later in the post was made for the 6th birthday of Lambdin. At least that's what it looks like to me in the picture. I could see Lambdin being a perfectly respectable surname on your family tree, but personally I just don't think it works well as a first name these days. I'm going to guess it's a boy, and I can't see a name with "lamb" in it being too popular for the first 14 years of life or so. Just a little too close to a mom-only nickname like "lammy-kins" or something.

Well Lambdin could have easily been a mishearing of the name Landon

That's true. It was just written on a cake, not a birth certificate. :) But usually on CakeWrecks they mention if the baker has done something wrong like that.
~Lynn2000

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17882 on: November 21, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Ulrich, Damian, and Gabriel are classic names, and even spelled properly.  They're uncommon, but I'm not sure why you think that they're odd.

Presumably the demon/angel connection.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17883 on: November 21, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »
I just unearthed the 8th-grade graduation booklet from one of my grandsons.  Along with the normal boring names, we have:

Daemazjion D'Kale
Javiah Rockael
Makayla R'Dacia
Versache Armani-Jael

And that's before we get out of the B section!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17884 on: November 21, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
I just unearthed the 8th-grade graduation booklet from one of my grandsons.  Along with the normal boring names, we have:

Daemazjion D'Kale
Javiah Rockael
Makayla R'Dacia
Versache Armani-Jael

Sounds like someone is very into fashion!!   ;D

BB-VA

« Reply #17885 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:06 PM »
Aline (Ah-Lee-ni) is a pretty common name in Portuguese. I had no idea someone would be able to stretch it out to Hallynnee.

My mother's middle name, pronounced Aleen.  I think it was after her aunt Allyne.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17886 on: November 21, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »

My mother's middle name, pronounced Aleen.  I think it was after her aunt Allyne.

Variations on Aline  (Alene, Alyne, Alena, and apparently Allyne  ;) etc.) are fairly common here in the U.S. too.  In fact, one of those variations is my middle name and I know at least two other people with that name, although one is spelled slightly differently from the way my name is spelled.

BB-VA

« Reply #17887 on: November 21, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »

Variations on Aline  (Alene, Alyne, Alena, and apparently Allyne  ;) etc.) are fairly common here in the U.S. too.  In fact, one of those variations is my middle name and I know at least two other people with that name, although one is spelled slightly differently from the way my name is spelled.

My aunt Allyene's name was pronounced differently - it was more like AWLeen.  (SW Virginia accent - what can I say?)
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17888 on: November 22, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »

In Portuguese, there are no double letters (except for S and R in certain circumstances), doubling the e does not change the sound, Y is not part of the alphabet. That version makes absolutely no sense here (the family is Brazilian, by the way, and doesn't speak English).

cwm

« Reply #17889 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Eurener?

I just remembered one from a friend's brother's graduating class last year. N'Da. Pronounced like India.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17890 on: November 22, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »

Daemazjion D'Kale
Javiah Rockael
Makayla R'Dacia
Versache Armani-Jael

Ooh, awesome! Though, I think "Makayla" is actually not that strange any longer, it's a more phonetic spelling of Michaela and various other alternatives. Mikayla is a pretty common one, I think. One thing I think is interesting, related to language change, is how often vowels are substituted for one another, with in most cases people intending for them to have the same sound. For example, I think most people would pronounce "cat" and "kit" differently, yet "Makayla" and "Mikayla" are probably meant to be pronounced identically.

I mentioned this earlier with "Kynnadi" for "Kennedy." To me that spelling change is disharmonious because it makes the pronunciation unclear--I would not immediately understand that Kynnadi is meant to be pronounced as Kennedy. But to other people, it all seems about the same, and the spelling they choose is influenced less by clarity of sound and more by, I suppose, how the name looks when written down. Which is a change that could only come about in a highly literate society, where we so often write our names and see them written.

I would want to know if these kids are male or female. I think "Javiah" is kind of cool, in the sense that I don't think I've ever seen those syllables put together before, and it has a nice rhythm. I'm thinking juh-VY-uh. I think that would make a nice Biblically-flavored name for a boy. But then the middle name, Rockael, reminds me of Raquel, which is generally feminine.
~Lynn2000

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17891 on: November 22, 2013, 11:26:06 AM »

Daemazjion D'Kale
Javiah Rockael
Makayla R'Dacia
Versache Armani-Jael

Ooh, awesome! Though, I think "Makayla" is actually not that strange any longer, it's a more phonetic spelling of Michaela and various other alternatives. Mikayla is a pretty common one, I think. One thing I think is interesting, related to language change, is how often vowels are substituted for one another, with in most cases people intending for them to have the same sound. For example, I think most people would pronounce "cat" and "kit" differently, yet "Makayla" and "Mikayla" are probably meant to be pronounced identically.

I mentioned this earlier with "Kynnadi" for "Kennedy." To me that spelling change is disharmonious because it makes the pronunciation unclear--I would not immediately understand that Kynnadi is meant to be pronounced as Kennedy. But to other people, it all seems about the same, and the spelling they choose is influenced less by clarity of sound and more by, I suppose, how the name looks when written down. Which is a change that could only come about in a highly literate society, where we so often write our names and see them written.

I would want to know if these kids are male or female. I think "Javiah" is kind of cool, in the sense that I don't think I've ever seen those syllables put together before, and it has a nice rhythm. I'm thinking juh-VY-uh. I think that would make a nice Biblically-flavored name for a boy. But then the middle name, Rockael, reminds me of Raquel, which is generally feminine.

"Daemazjion" must be truly unique, because googling it only brings up (presumably) the kid in question. He's on the honour roll! Good for him.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17892 on: November 22, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Eurener?

I just remembered one from a friend's brother's graduating class last year. N'Da. Pronounced like India.

N'Da turns out to be an Ivorian (and possibly other west African) surname. So it could be a surname-as-firstname thing. Generally people do that to keep a name 'in the family' if there are no male heirs on the 'surname' side. So if my mother's maiden surname was Jones, and she had no brothers with male heirs, she might opt to give one of her children the name 'Jones'. I've generally seen that as a middle name, rather than a first name.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17893 on: November 22, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Someone I worked with, enocuntered triplets in her FT job.  Who's names weren't all that strange, but when put with their last name, um, might raise a few eyebrows.

Diamond, Precious and Unique and the last name is the diminutive for Richard than can be naughty. 

Lynn2000

« Reply #17894 on: November 22, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
Someone I worked with, enocuntered triplets in her FT job.  Who's names weren't all that strange, but when put with their last name, um, might raise a few eyebrows.

Diamond, Precious and Unique and the last name is the diminutive for Richard than can be naughty.

Ooh, that's... awkward. But, sometimes you get used to surnames that give other people a giggle, if you have a lot of them in your family. Like I mentioned before, my family tree is filled with people surnamed Hamm (as in Jon Hamm from Mad Men), and there's also a branch surnamed Lively (as in Blake Lively from Gossip Girl... actually both she and Jon Hamm were in The Town, weren't they?). There's also Fish.

They were just so common in their area that (it appears) people didn't really consider it funny when combined with certain first or middle names... Like the aforementioned Pleasant Hamm (male). Or Robert Fry Hamm. Or Jewel Fish. I don't remember anything particularly weird combined with Lively, at least.
~Lynn2000