Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1645503 times)

cwm

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17895 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Eurener?

I just remembered one from a friend's brother's graduating class last year. N'Da. Pronounced like India.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17896 on: November 22, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »
I just unearthed the 8th-grade graduation booklet from one of my grandsons.  Along with the normal boring names, we have:

Daemazjion D'Kale
Javiah Rockael
Makayla R'Dacia
Versache Armani-Jael

And that's before we get out of the B section!

Ooh, awesome! Though, I think "Makayla" is actually not that strange any longer, it's a more phonetic spelling of Michaela and various other alternatives. Mikayla is a pretty common one, I think. One thing I think is interesting, related to language change, is how often vowels are substituted for one another, with in most cases people intending for them to have the same sound. For example, I think most people would pronounce "cat" and "kit" differently, yet "Makayla" and "Mikayla" are probably meant to be pronounced identically.

I mentioned this earlier with "Kynnadi" for "Kennedy." To me that spelling change is disharmonious because it makes the pronunciation unclear--I would not immediately understand that Kynnadi is meant to be pronounced as Kennedy. But to other people, it all seems about the same, and the spelling they choose is influenced less by clarity of sound and more by, I suppose, how the name looks when written down. Which is a change that could only come about in a highly literate society, where we so often write our names and see them written.

I would want to know if these kids are male or female. I think "Javiah" is kind of cool, in the sense that I don't think I've ever seen those syllables put together before, and it has a nice rhythm. I'm thinking juh-VY-uh. I think that would make a nice Biblically-flavored name for a boy. But then the middle name, Rockael, reminds me of Raquel, which is generally feminine.
~Lynn2000

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17897 on: November 22, 2013, 11:26:06 AM »
I just unearthed the 8th-grade graduation booklet from one of my grandsons.  Along with the normal boring names, we have:

Daemazjion D'Kale
Javiah Rockael
Makayla R'Dacia
Versache Armani-Jael

And that's before we get out of the B section!

Ooh, awesome! Though, I think "Makayla" is actually not that strange any longer, it's a more phonetic spelling of Michaela and various other alternatives. Mikayla is a pretty common one, I think. One thing I think is interesting, related to language change, is how often vowels are substituted for one another, with in most cases people intending for them to have the same sound. For example, I think most people would pronounce "cat" and "kit" differently, yet "Makayla" and "Mikayla" are probably meant to be pronounced identically.

I mentioned this earlier with "Kynnadi" for "Kennedy." To me that spelling change is disharmonious because it makes the pronunciation unclear--I would not immediately understand that Kynnadi is meant to be pronounced as Kennedy. But to other people, it all seems about the same, and the spelling they choose is influenced less by clarity of sound and more by, I suppose, how the name looks when written down. Which is a change that could only come about in a highly literate society, where we so often write our names and see them written.

I would want to know if these kids are male or female. I think "Javiah" is kind of cool, in the sense that I don't think I've ever seen those syllables put together before, and it has a nice rhythm. I'm thinking juh-VY-uh. I think that would make a nice Biblically-flavored name for a boy. But then the middle name, Rockael, reminds me of Raquel, which is generally feminine.

"Daemazjion" must be truly unique, because googling it only brings up (presumably) the kid in question. He's on the honour roll! Good for him.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #17898 on: November 22, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Eurener?

I just remembered one from a friend's brother's graduating class last year. N'Da. Pronounced like India.

N'Da turns out to be an Ivorian (and possibly other west African) surname. So it could be a surname-as-firstname thing. Generally people do that to keep a name 'in the family' if there are no male heirs on the 'surname' side. So if my mother's maiden surname was Jones, and she had no brothers with male heirs, she might opt to give one of her children the name 'Jones'. I've generally seen that as a middle name, rather than a first name.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17899 on: November 22, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Someone I worked with, enocuntered triplets in her FT job.  Who's names weren't all that strange, but when put with their last name, um, might raise a few eyebrows.

Diamond, Precious and Unique and the last name is the diminutive for Richard than can be naughty. 

Lynn2000

« Reply #17900 on: November 22, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
Someone I worked with, enocuntered triplets in her FT job.  Who's names weren't all that strange, but when put with their last name, um, might raise a few eyebrows.

Diamond, Precious and Unique and the last name is the diminutive for Richard than can be naughty.

Ooh, that's... awkward. But, sometimes you get used to surnames that give other people a giggle, if you have a lot of them in your family. Like I mentioned before, my family tree is filled with people surnamed Hamm (as in Jon Hamm from Mad Men), and there's also a branch surnamed Lively (as in Blake Lively from Gossip Girl... actually both she and Jon Hamm were in The Town, weren't they?). There's also Fish.

They were just so common in their area that (it appears) people didn't really consider it funny when combined with certain first or middle names... Like the aforementioned Pleasant Hamm (male). Or Robert Fry Hamm. Or Jewel Fish. I don't remember anything particularly weird combined with Lively, at least.
~Lynn2000

Elisabunny

« Reply #17901 on: November 26, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »
Apparently, the middle name of my niece's new baby is Danger.

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #17902 on: November 26, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »
^^HAHA!  That's awesome.  It's her middle name, so no one ever needs to know unless she chooses to tell them.  And she can say "Danger is my middle name."

Parents with a sense of humour.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17903 on: November 27, 2013, 03:54:43 AM »
^^HAHA!  That's awesome.  It's her middle name, so no one ever needs to know unless she chooses to tell them.  And she can say "Danger is my middle name."

Parents with a sense of humour.

It's increasingly common. I've seen it in birth announcements enough that I just sigh mentally and say "again?" to myself when I see it.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #17904 on: November 27, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
What you said.  Not cute nor remotely original.  Just another one.

Carotte

« Reply #17905 on: November 28, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
I wrapped something for a little Aristote (Aristotle in english) today. I find it cute actually, but it's so much conoted that I wouldn't think to name a kid that.

I don't always glance at the label, a few weeks ago I had an Alpha (didn't ask if he was the first child and what the second one was named :) - even more because Beta (bÍta) translate to dummy in french....)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #17906 on: November 28, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
I understand that Beta is a common girls name in Farsi speaking regions.  We have a friend who is a software developer and his partner is called Beta.  Many dreadful puns are made about their relationship

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #17907 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Cashier at local fast food place...Metrica.  I find it interesting..maybe a play on metric?

Betelnut

« Reply #17908 on: December 06, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
An interesting one in the birth announcements today:

Rhamiya Money (girl).

Money might be a family name though.  The paper didn't say.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Pen^2

« Reply #17909 on: December 06, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »
I have a new student whose given name is Precious.

I've not met her parents, but I keep imagining Gollum...