A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3583/3768) > >>

Nikko-chan:

--- Quote from: Ms_Cellany on December 09, 2013, 03:11:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: audhs on December 08, 2013, 01:07:23 PM ---I knew a girl named Treasure.

--- End quote ---

I knew a Treasure also.  It sounds better in German: Schatzi.

--- End quote ---

It does sound better in German.

Ereine:
Treasure, Aarre, is a pretty common Finnish male name. Hope and Faith (Toivo and Usko) are male names too and my cousin's son's name is Ilo, Joy.

mechtilde:

--- Quote from: Betelnut on December 06, 2013, 07:08:45 PM ---An interesting one in the birth announcements today:

Rhamiya Money (girl).

Money might be a family name though.  The paper didn't say.

--- End quote ---

It is a surname- a variant of Mooney. I was at school with a girl with that surname.

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: Ereine on December 10, 2013, 04:24:59 AM ---Treasure, Aarre, is a pretty common Finnish male name. Hope and Faith (Toivo and Usko) are male names too and my cousin's son's name is Ilo, Joy.

--- End quote ---

That's cool! I like books like The Baby Name Wizard and Beyond Aiden & Ava that talk about name popularity trends and the perceptions of names (cool, old-fashioned, classic, etc.). The ones I find (in the US) are all about US popularity and perceptions, though. Does anyone know of other books/websites that give similar information about names from other countries? They would have to be English-language, which is limiting I'm sure (why would you be doing that much research into Finnish names if you didn't speak Finnish?). But the UK, Australia, and New Zealand are surely possibilities.

Melle:
I recently issued a library card for a child named Nepomuk Waldemar (both first names). Even in Germany, these are some very wacky names to give to a newborn...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version