Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1835838 times)

daen

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17985 on: January 04, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
Came across a baby in a video that had been named Cornelius by his parents. There's two things I know called Cornelius, one is an elephant and the other is on a box of corn flakes.

I was thinking the character Cornelius Fudge from Harry Potter.

Cornelius is a very popular name in my area among a certain subset of the population. The usual nickname is Cornie.
Only rarely does the name morph into Neil.

Jones

« Reply #17986 on: January 05, 2014, 12:31:58 AM »
I was hoping Cornelius would take off a bit after the Disney cartoon "Meet the Robinsons" came out.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #17987 on: January 05, 2014, 01:33:48 AM »
Forgot about him, and I think Rowling was deliberately being old fashioned there.

Cornelia I can kind of understand.

Never heard of Cornelia, though Cordelia is a legitimate enough name. It makes me think of Anne of Green Gables or my Cabbage Patch Kid, though. :)

My mom's long time best friend is named Cornelia and so is my friend's stepmother. Both women go by "Cornie" for short.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17988 on: January 05, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
Forgot about him, and I think Rowling was deliberately being old fashioned there.

Cornelia I can kind of understand.

Never heard of Cornelia, though Cordelia is a legitimate enough name. It makes me think of Anne of Green Gables or my Cabbage Patch Kid, though. :)

My mom's long time best friend is named Cornelia and so is my friend's stepmother. Both women go by "Cornie" for short.

I've known two.  One went by Lia (Leah), the other by Nell or Nellie.  It was years before I knew their names were different from what they went by.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

HGolightly

« Reply #17989 on: January 05, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
I read a news story this week about a baby girl named So'Unique Miracle.........MUCH more "unique" than naming the baby Unique. ;)

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #17990 on: January 05, 2014, 11:02:12 AM »
Came across a baby in a video that had been named Cornelius by his parents. There's two things I know called Cornelius, one is an elephant and the other is on a box of corn flakes.

Planet of the Apes also comes to mind....

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17991 on: January 05, 2014, 10:00:30 PM »

I know it as a last name, but not a first name. OTOH, one of my aunts named one of her sons her maiden name. As in his name was <MaidenName> <LastName> - think Smith Jones, for example, but neither actual name is quite that common.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17992 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:02 PM »
That is so much better than Faygo.

Which was my guess.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

daen

« Reply #17993 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:54 PM »
I have a friend with a 'quirky' spelling of a common name.  The spelling is weird because her parents had given her a name they made up, but the family patriarch either couldn't remember how to say it or didn't look at it close enough to see that it wasn't actually the name he thought it was.  He kept calling her this unrelated common name, and it stuck.  So for her it's not that she spells her name weird, it's that everyone--including her parents and even herself-- pronounces wrong.

Some friends of mine are emergency foster parents for the state and at very short notice can and do take in young children from unsafe/abusive/etc situations.  One child they received as a newborn infant b/c the mother was a known addict and had illegal drugs in her system when she delivered the baby.  (All of her previous kids have also been taken).  Drug-Mom did manage to give her child the name of her favorite off-brand soda before Kiddo was taken away.  Friend and his wife take to calling their foster kid "Baby Girl" instead.
If it's the off-brand pop name I think you're talking about-- that's an actual, if uncommon, name for people and places.  I know one or two girls with the name.  It's also the name of the (male) protagonist of one of the Chronicles of Narnia, and googling it just now turned up a character in a John Wayne movie with that name.

ETA: Further googling has revealed the soft drink company was named after a body of water. Of course, all of this is moot if the mother acknowledged she named the kid after a brand of pop, but if that's the case at least she accidentally gave the kid an actual name.

I'm intrigued. I'm familiar with the Narnia books but can't think of any of the protagonist who fit this criteria. (I'm not familiar with names off pop..

My guess whould be Shasta.  I think he was a prince in one of the books.
The Shasta I"m most familiar with is a mountain.  A dormant volcano, as a matter of fact.
My immediate association with Shasta is Shasta daisy. It could be worse, I suppose, but it could be so much better...

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #17994 on: January 05, 2014, 11:34:58 PM »
I have a friend with a 'quirky' spelling of a common name.  The spelling is weird because her parents had given her a name they made up, but the family patriarch either couldn't remember how to say it or didn't look at it close enough to see that it wasn't actually the name he thought it was.  He kept calling her this unrelated common name, and it stuck.  So for her it's not that she spells her name weird, it's that everyone--including her parents and even herself-- pronounces wrong.

Some friends of mine are emergency foster parents for the state and at very short notice can and do take in young children from unsafe/abusive/etc situations.  One child they received as a newborn infant b/c the mother was a known addict and had illegal drugs in her system when she delivered the baby.  (All of her previous kids have also been taken).  Drug-Mom did manage to give her child the name of her favorite off-brand soda before Kiddo was taken away.  Friend and his wife take to calling their foster kid "Baby Girl" instead.
If it's the off-brand pop name I think you're talking about-- that's an actual, if uncommon, name for people and places.  I know one or two girls with the name.  It's also the name of the (male) protagonist of one of the Chronicles of Narnia, and googling it just now turned up a character in a John Wayne movie with that name.

ETA: Further googling has revealed the soft drink company was named after a body of water. Of course, all of this is moot if the mother acknowledged she named the kid after a brand of pop, but if that's the case at least she accidentally gave the kid an actual name.

I'm intrigued. I'm familiar with the Narnia books but can't think of any of the protagonist who fit this criteria. (I'm not familiar with names off pop..

I can't come up with it either. :(

Shasta
When you said "male protaganist" and "named after a body of water" I was thinking Caspian (and the Caspian Sea).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #17995 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
Shasta

From reading the birth mother's facebook page, I'm certain it's the soda.  She's a real piece of work and DHS has had to remove all five of her children, which is sad as she blames the police/social workers and is just an angry person.  If the baby is made available for permanent adoption, then the name is eligible to be changed.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17997 on: January 06, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »

Yes. And there was absolutely no need to get all cutesy about hiding the name. There is no ban on brand names here at eHell.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ddawn23

« Reply #17998 on: January 07, 2014, 02:05:55 AM »

Yes. And there was absolutely no need to get all cutesy about hiding the name. There is no ban on brand names here at eHell.
Ouch.  :-[  I know it wasn't your intent, but that came off kind of harsh.  I wasn't trying to be cutesy-- I assumed PP had her reasons to hint at instead of explicitly state the name, so I went along.  And FWIW, in my years on eHell I've seen a near-universal avoidance of brand, store, and company names, whether it's an actual rule or not.

Betelnut

"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently