Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1637681 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18030 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:40 PM »
"Airwrecka".

:o

I think it's supposed to be a creative spelling of Erica, but...that's pretty far off the mark.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #18031 on: January 22, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
"Airwrecka".

I think it's supposed to be a creative spelling of Erica, but...that's pretty far off the mark.

Wonder if she's on the No Fly List?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18032 on: January 22, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »
"Airwrecka".

LOL!   ;D

No, but I would be banned for what I just did to my keyboard just now!!  Did you know Coke fizzes up between the keys?

gmatoy

« Reply #18033 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
Darcy....Well, that is easy to see and say, right? Ah, but I was mispronouncing it.  It is pronounced, wait for it, ...Duh Arcy.

I am not joking. Wish I were. And the child was very upset that "No one says it right!"

Addy

« Reply #18034 on: January 23, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »
Darcy....Well, that is easy to see and say, right? Ah, but I was mispronouncing it.  It is pronounced, wait for it, ...Duh Arcy.

I am not joking. Wish I were. And the child was very upset that "No one says it right!"

I wonder if there was some kind of basis in the name D'arcy there? I don't know, I got nothing. ;)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18035 on: January 24, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
Darcy would be

Dah r see, if going by phonetics, right?

Duh!

:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #18036 on: January 24, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »
I don't know the pronounciation, but a new one to me:

Sayde, sister to Sydne

I'm guessing Sadie and Sidney
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Lynn2000

« Reply #18037 on: January 24, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »

I wonder if there was some kind of basis in the name D'arcy there? I don't know, I got nothing. ;)

I think that makes sense. In a way. Wasn't there a singer, Terence Trent D'Arby, whose last name was pronounced with three syllables? Or maybe that's just how I pronounced it because I didn't know any better. I'm sure I thought, if he wanted it pronounced Darby, he'd just spell it Darby. The apostrophe must mean something. I think I didn't realize other languages (like French) sometimes did things differently.

I think I'd rather be Dee-Arcy than Duh-Arcy, but I suppose that's a bit persnickety.
~Lynn2000

gmatoy

« Reply #18038 on: January 24, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
Well, but you must make sure that you do not run them together. Duh     Arcy.  As if were two words.

Carotte

« Reply #18039 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »

I think that makes sense. In a way. Wasn't there a singer, Terence Trent D'Arby, whose last name was pronounced with three syllables? Or maybe that's just how I pronounced it because I didn't know any better. I'm sure I thought, if he wanted it pronounced Darby, he'd just spell it Darby. The apostrophe must mean something. I think I didn't realize other languages (like French) sometimes did things differently.

I think I'd rather be Dee-Arcy than Duh-Arcy, but I suppose that's a bit persnickety.

Well, in French "de" is a preposition that indicate from where it starts/where it comes from. the "d'" is the "contraction" used before a vowel.
So for me, logically Arby is a place, it would be Terence of Arby, like we say Catherine of Aragon (Catherine d'Aragon).
If they had come from say Paris it would be Terence de/of Paris or Catherine de Paris.
Nowadays family names with prepositions like that sound pompous and are affiliated with old, established families. A joke name for some 'aristocratic' made-up person would be Jean-Charles Edouard du Bonnet de la Seine d'Argenteuil. (bolded being first and second name, actually used, then the family name).

Lynn2000

« Reply #18040 on: January 27, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
Two from my family tree. I found someone whose first name was Rosazella. Not Rosella, or Rosabella. Rosazella. I think it would be hard to say, kind of like you're stuttering over the middle syllables.

Another one I remembered is a cousin who has the middle name Jane. Which is pronounced Janie. So when you say her name aloud it's supposed to be "Elizabeth Janie Smith" even though it looks like "Elizabeth Jane Smith." If her parents really wanted Janie I don't know why they didn't just spell it that way, instead of expecting everyone to realize that an incredibly common, simple name was being pronounced differently.

Then again this is the same family who named another daughter Katie, in honor of an aunt Katy. For some reason they thought Aunt Katy had always wished her name was spelled Katie, and that she would appreciate a namesake with the desired spelling. She didn't. (Aunt Katy was kind of a character.)
~Lynn2000

lisen

« Reply #18041 on: January 27, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
An apparently popular name in my ancestry is "Alexandrina". I am not sure if this is just a variant of Alexandra, or if it was a common name. Perhaps we aren't the only generations who like to do a name "with a twist". :)

faithlessone

« Reply #18042 on: January 28, 2014, 02:44:00 AM »
An apparently popular name in my ancestry is "Alexandrina". I am not sure if this is just a variant of Alexandra, or if it was a common name. Perhaps we aren't the only generations who like to do a name "with a twist". :)

Not exactly common, but it is a variant of Alexandra, and definitely a name. Queen Victoria's actual first name, in fact - Alexandrina Victoria.

heartmug

« Reply #18043 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
"Airwrecka".

LOL!!!
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

dawnfire

« Reply #18044 on: January 29, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »

Not exactly common, but it is a variant of Alexandra, and definitely a name. Queen Victoria's actual first name, in fact - Alexandrina Victoria.

-ina is a diminutive. so Alexandrina is literally little Alexandra