Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1637230 times)

Lynn2000

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18045 on: February 02, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
Another one from my family tree, on the topic of unisex names: Leon. For a girl.

She was born in the early 1920s in the South and her birth name was Mary Leon Miller. Not Leona, Leon. Over the years she decided to go by her middle name, Leon, and is mentioned this way in several of her siblings' obituaries. "...survived by his sister Leon Jones [married name]."
~Lynn2000

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18046 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:33 PM »
Two coworkers of mine.  One is named Ia (pronounced eee-ah) and the other is Jeanne, prounounced "Jennie".  Another coworker keeps pronouncing Ia's name as "eye-ah" and I have to fight so hard to not laugh; no one ever knows who she's talking about!

faithlessone

« Reply #18047 on: February 02, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
A keen Seahawks fan has named their daughter

Cydnee Leigh 12th Mann.

I can't decide whether that's cute or a bit sad. Heading for "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

(http://www.today.com/moms/seattle-seahawks-fans-name-baby-12th-mann-2D12024235)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #18048 on: February 02, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »
Mauveline

Onnette

lilfox

« Reply #18049 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
Daleah.  I don't know if it's pronounced like "Dahlia" or dah-LEE-ah.  My guess is the first, but my own tendency is the second.  Kind of pretty sounding either way, but I personally don't like the spelling.

Also, Jane pronounced "Janie"?  I get calling someone named Jane by a diminutive, but insisting that the name be spelled one way and pronounced the other? Nope, sorry, that would come across as too precious to me.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #18050 on: February 03, 2014, 02:51:59 AM »
Some friends of mine are emergency foster parents for the state and at very short notice can and do take in young children from unsafe/abusive/etc situations.  One child they received as a newborn infant b/c the mother was a known addict and had illegal drugs in her system when she delivered the baby.  (All of her previous kids have also been taken).  Drug-Mom did manage to give her child the name of her favorite off-brand soda before Kiddo was taken away.  Friend and his wife take to calling their foster kid "Baby Girl" instead.

I've known three Shastas - all women - and wouldn't bat an eyelash at the name. It's not the most common name, but it is legitimate. I have no idea whether it came from the mountain or from the Native American tribe.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #18051 on: February 03, 2014, 02:52:53 AM »
The other day I ran across a Gnarlene.
Ugh.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Lynn2000

« Reply #18052 on: February 03, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »
Mauveline! Gnarlene! I love them! Okay, not "love" as in "would give them to my own children," but I find them so interesting. Sometimes I feel like we think "creative" names are a new phenomenon, but I think people have actually been doing it for a long time. If you look at people who were born in the 1920s and '30s, for example, you find a lot of -een names for girls, because that was a popular sound--Pauline, Colleen, etc.. And then along comes someone who wants to be a little different, and she names her daughter Mauveline (kind of like Mabeline, as in "Mabeline, why can't you be true?") or Nolene or something (okay, Gnarlene seems a little more modern to me).

Which reminds me, I found a family member born in the '20s named Foneva (female). Eva + Fawn or maybe phone? Something about it just doesn't work for me...
~Lynn2000

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18053 on: February 03, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
The other day I ran across a Gnarlene.
Ugh.

Reminds me too much of the word 'gnarly', which usually is not a compliment.  I'd suspect that especially if this is in the U.S., much teasing will ensue.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18054 on: February 03, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »
Another one from my family tree, on the topic of unisex names: Leon. For a girl.

She was born in the early 1920s in the South and her birth name was Mary Leon Miller. Not Leona, Leon. Over the years she decided to go by her middle name, Leon, and is mentioned this way in several of her siblings' obituaries. "...survived by his sister Leon Jones [married name]."

I seem to recall a model that Rudi Gernreich used in the 1960s.  She was also named Leon. 

exitzero

« Reply #18055 on: February 03, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »

I seem to recall a model that Rudi Gernreich used in the 1960s.  She was also named Leon.

Leon Bing. She's an author now.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18056 on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »
About 8 years ago I had a GED registrant named Celevee.  I had to call her because she hadn't filled in a form correctly so I asked her how her name was pronounced (I called her Miss Lastname when I called).  Her response?

"C'es la vie.  It's French."

I'm thinking, "Yeah, it's French for that's life".  I then spent an entire afternoon envisioning her mother being told she was expecting and going "Well, c'est la vie.  Hey, what a great name!"

Lynn2000

« Reply #18057 on: February 03, 2014, 04:32:56 PM »

Leon Bing. She's an author now.

Oh, how interesting. I wonder if it was a "thing" at one point. I guess to me "Leon" just does not sound in any way like something I might want to use for a girl, but obviously tastes differ on that point! I guess there is Leonie, and also LeeAnn, which are very similar now that I think about it...
~Lynn2000

blueyzca01

« Reply #18058 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
My SIL and her kids just returned from a trip to Florida, and in the middle of WDW heard a woman calling for her child.  When she appeared, she had a nametag on:  Klamidia.   

SIL said she's never laughed so hard, because she just couldn't believe she was hearing someone yelling that word in a public place.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18059 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »
About 8 years ago I had a GED registrant named Celevee.  I had to call her because she hadn't filled in a form correctly so I asked her how her name was pronounced (I called her Miss Lastname when I called).  Her response?

"C'es la vie.  It's French."

I'm thinking, "Yeah, it's French for that's life".  I then spent an entire afternoon envisioning her mother being told she was expecting and going "Well, c'est la vie.  Hey, what a great name!"

O.o