Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1842882 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18045 on: February 03, 2014, 02:52:53 AM »
The other day I ran across a Gnarlene.
Ugh.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Lynn2000

« Reply #18046 on: February 03, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »
Mauveline! Gnarlene! I love them! Okay, not "love" as in "would give them to my own children," but I find them so interesting. Sometimes I feel like we think "creative" names are a new phenomenon, but I think people have actually been doing it for a long time. If you look at people who were born in the 1920s and '30s, for example, you find a lot of -een names for girls, because that was a popular sound--Pauline, Colleen, etc.. And then along comes someone who wants to be a little different, and she names her daughter Mauveline (kind of like Mabeline, as in "Mabeline, why can't you be true?") or Nolene or something (okay, Gnarlene seems a little more modern to me).

Which reminds me, I found a family member born in the '20s named Foneva (female). Eva + Fawn or maybe phone? Something about it just doesn't work for me...
~Lynn2000

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18047 on: February 03, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
The other day I ran across a Gnarlene.
Ugh.

Reminds me too much of the word 'gnarly', which usually is not a compliment.  I'd suspect that especially if this is in the U.S., much teasing will ensue.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18048 on: February 03, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »
Another one from my family tree, on the topic of unisex names: Leon. For a girl.

She was born in the early 1920s in the South and her birth name was Mary Leon Miller. Not Leona, Leon. Over the years she decided to go by her middle name, Leon, and is mentioned this way in several of her siblings' obituaries. "...survived by his sister Leon Jones [married name]."

I seem to recall a model that Rudi Gernreich used in the 1960s.  She was also named Leon. 

exitzero

« Reply #18049 on: February 03, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
Another one from my family tree, on the topic of unisex names: Leon. For a girl.

She was born in the early 1920s in the South and her birth name was Mary Leon Miller. Not Leona, Leon. Over the years she decided to go by her middle name, Leon, and is mentioned this way in several of her siblings' obituaries. "...survived by his sister Leon Jones [married name]."

I seem to recall a model that Rudi Gernreich used in the 1960s.  She was also named Leon.

Leon Bing. She's an author now.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18050 on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »
About 8 years ago I had a GED registrant named Celevee.  I had to call her because she hadn't filled in a form correctly so I asked her how her name was pronounced (I called her Miss Lastname when I called).  Her response?

"C'es la vie.  It's French."

I'm thinking, "Yeah, it's French for that's life".  I then spent an entire afternoon envisioning her mother being told she was expecting and going "Well, c'est la vie.  Hey, what a great name!"

Lynn2000

« Reply #18051 on: February 03, 2014, 04:32:56 PM »

Leon Bing. She's an author now.

Oh, how interesting. I wonder if it was a "thing" at one point. I guess to me "Leon" just does not sound in any way like something I might want to use for a girl, but obviously tastes differ on that point! I guess there is Leonie, and also LeeAnn, which are very similar now that I think about it...
~Lynn2000

blueyzca01

« Reply #18052 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
My SIL and her kids just returned from a trip to Florida, and in the middle of WDW heard a woman calling for her child.  When she appeared, she had a nametag on:  Klamidia.   

SIL said she's never laughed so hard, because she just couldn't believe she was hearing someone yelling that word in a public place.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18053 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »
About 8 years ago I had a GED registrant named Celevee.  I had to call her because she hadn't filled in a form correctly so I asked her how her name was pronounced (I called her Miss Lastname when I called).  Her response?

"C'es la vie.  It's French."

I'm thinking, "Yeah, it's French for that's life".  I then spent an entire afternoon envisioning her mother being told she was expecting and going "Well, c'est la vie.  Hey, what a great name!"

O.o

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18054 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:48 PM »
My SIL and her kids just returned from a trip to Florida, and in the middle of WDW heard a woman calling for her child.  When she appeared, she had a nametag on:  Klamidia.   

SIL said she's never laughed so hard, because she just couldn't believe she was hearing someone yelling that word in a public place.

And here we'd all thought that was debunked on Snopes.com as being purely an urban tall tale....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blueyzca01

« Reply #18055 on: February 03, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »
Nope.  SIL is absolutely horrible with a computer (I think she uses it mostly as a plant stand), so she has no idea what snopes is.  She swears she saw the nametag with her own eyes.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18056 on: February 03, 2014, 06:34:53 PM »
I think urban legends sometimes become true.  Like someone will think "Hmmmmm.  XYZ is a pretty and unique name.  I'll do it!"

Lynn2000

« Reply #18057 on: February 03, 2014, 06:43:28 PM »
I think urban legends sometimes become true.  Like someone will think "Hmmmmm.  XYZ is a pretty and unique name.  I'll do it!"

I agree. I know Lemonjello and Orangejello are the infamous example. But, my cousin says she had them in a class, and she's not the type to make up stories. (You can take that from me, a stranger on the Internet. ;) ) But I could totally see someone hearing the story, thinking those are nice names, and then using them for real. You know, think of all the ways you could spell something like "luh MAHN jel oh"--it would be so much easier if you could say, "It's spelled like 'lemon jello.'" I'd pick Lemonjello over Klamidia any day.
~Lynn2000

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18058 on: February 03, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
If some poor child actually is named Klamidia, I certainly hope that she quickly learns to tell people immediately upon meeting them that her name is pronounced "Clay-muh-DEE'-ya" or something - anything!! -  other than the seemingly obvious pronunciation.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #18059 on: February 03, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
If some poor child actually is named Klamidia, I certainly hope that she quickly learns to tell people immediately upon meeting them that her name is pronounced "Clay-muh-DEE'-ya" or something - anything!! -  other than the seemingly obvious pronunciation.

Well, I have to confess my scepticism, but IF I was afflicted with a name like that, I'd go by Lydia. It's not really short for Klamidia, but close enough.