Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2013115 times)

kglory

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18090 on: February 21, 2014, 03:47:20 AM »
And he is famous too, on the Seattle Seahawks that has just won the Superbowl

That's Marshawn (Lynch).

But thanks to this thread, I did some Googling and found a Knowshon on the Broncos:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowshon_Moreno

Bobbie

« Reply #18091 on: February 21, 2014, 05:22:27 AM »
And he is famous too, on the Seattle Seahawks that has just won the Superbowl

That's Marshawn (Lynch).

But thanks to this thread, I did some Googling and found a Knowshon on the Broncos:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowshon_Moreno

I got the wrong team :D its Knowshon, pronounced No-shawn, Moreno from the Denver Broncos.  I heard it when Seattle was playing Denver and I was  :o.  Told my husband that was a hard name to grow up with.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:24:23 AM by Bobbie »

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18092 on: February 21, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
It suddenly occurred to me that Knowshon/Noshawn could also be pronounced similarly to "notion." Maybe that's what the parents were going for? Notion, idea, thought, dream...
~Lynn2000

squeakers

« Reply #18093 on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
It suddenly occurred to me that Knowshon/Noshawn could also be pronounced similarly to "notion." Maybe that's what the parents were going for? Notion, idea, thought, dream...

I only briefly glanced at his wiki and his name is a mix of Knowledge (his father's nickname) and Varashon (his mother's name).

I don't see it any harder on a kid being name Noshawn than a kid named Noel/elle, Noah or Nolan.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18094 on: February 21, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »

I only briefly glanced at his wiki and his name is a mix of Knowledge (his father's nickname) and Varashon (his mother's name).

I don't see it any harder on a kid being name Noshawn than a kid named Noel/elle, Noah or Nolan.

That actually makes sense to me. Better Knowshon than Varaledge, which sounds like a kind of medication to me.
~Lynn2000

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18095 on: February 22, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »
This one actually sounds pretty, but I wasn't sure how to pronounce it...I had to ask the lady.

Julicia

pronounced JU- LEE- Sha 

I guess the parents couldn't decide between Julie and Alicia.

I would have thought it was JU-lis-e-a

fountainof

« Reply #18096 on: February 22, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
Varashon I like that, interesting name and something I think most people could easily pronounce.  Knowshon is a much nicer spelling than Noshawn.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18097 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:20 PM »
Re using the word August in each name.  Might well have some thing to do with August meaning noble, stately or exalted.  Good name for a potential monarch.

I've known two families that use a certain name in all males of the family, or at least the first son.  Sometimes they choose to use a different nickname for a son than the father to keep them from being confused. IE Bill instead of Will.  Another family, all boys had to have the same first name, but the two boys go by either initials or a nickname of the middle name. 

Makes me glad there's not that expectation in DH's family.  We did chose to name our boys for someone in the family but it was nice being able to chose that ourselves. 

The name "Kathleen" was very popular as a middle name for the girls of my generation of the family.  It wasn't required, just popular.  It's my middle name and I have two cousins with the middle name Kathleen.  Had our third child been a girl, she too would have had the middle name of Kathleen as well but it didn't work that way. 

Instead he got DH's middle name, which is also the first name of one of his uncles and one of my cousins.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18098 on: February 23, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
In my family we had the 'Jack' problem. 

There were four generations of men with the same first name.  So, we had 'Jack', 'Big Jack', 'Little Jack' and 'Young Jack'.  Oddly enough, nobody ever got any of the 'Jacks' confused. 

Bethczar

« Reply #18099 on: February 23, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
There's a guy named Linear where I work. It's pronounced Lin-EAR, but I keep thinking LIN-ee-er when I see it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18100 on: February 24, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »
These are all young people in their late teens.

Master
Sydnye
Alexadria

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18101 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
These are all young people in their late teens.

Master
Sydnye
Alexadria

Ouch. I feel the sorriest for Alexadria, who is in for a lifetime of people very casually "correcting" the spelling of her name and not thinking anything of it. Well, I guess Sydnye looks like a transposition of Sydney, but I feel like I've seen a few spelling variations for Sydney and I can see how it still sounds the same--I think I would at least know to ask Sydnye if that spelling was really correct.
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18102 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
I checked to make sure, and those are all correct spellings.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #18103 on: February 24, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Saw this one at the doctor's office today (baby girl with name embroidered on blanket) - Coye.

It's kind of cute, actually.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

dawnfire

« Reply #18104 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »
In my family we had the 'Jack' problem. 

There were four generations of men with the same first name.  So, we had 'Jack', 'Big Jack', 'Little Jack' and 'Young Jack'.  Oddly enough, nobody ever got any of the 'Jacks' confused.
[/quote

hubby had a John problem. him, dad and grandad, a naming tradition that went back generations. he said Christmas was annoying, his name would be called and you'd get 2 replys.