Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1975362 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18105 on: February 25, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Johnette. I'm guessing her dad's name is John?
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18106 on: February 25, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »
This Sunday's NY Times had an article about a woman named 'Truffle'. 

Teenyweeny

« Reply #18107 on: February 25, 2014, 10:57:37 AM »

Or just the child of parents who really, really wanted a boy?

Nigella Lawson has two sisters called Thomasina and Horatia. I always found that funny.

I should point out that she also has a brother, and two half-siblings (amusingly, the half-sister is called Emily, I guess wife#2 preffered more traditionally feminine names).

Margo

« Reply #18108 on: February 25, 2014, 11:09:30 AM »
Thomasina and Horatia are all  girls names with long histories as such, though. No different than names such as  Stephanie, Charlotte, Phillipa etc.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #18109 on: February 25, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
Thomasina and Horatia are all  girls names with long histories as such, though. No different than names such as  Stephanie, Charlotte, Phillipa etc.

Oh, I know. (I had a doll called Thomasina when I was little). They're just more unusual than your average 'feminine version' name, so it stands out more (at least to me), than the likes of Olivia or Patricia.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #18110 on: February 26, 2014, 06:51:02 AM »

I know a girl named Johnna that that was the case.  At least it sounds better than Johnette (IMO).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18111 on: February 27, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
There were a set of brothers on Judge Judy the other day named Jamerson and Chammocka.  Jamerson was suing Chammocka for return of bail money.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18112 on: February 27, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
There were a set of brothers on Judge Judy the other day named Jamerson and Chammocka.  Jamerson was suing Chammocka for return of bail money.

Okay, Jamerson is kind of like Jameson, James, that kind of thing. The 'R' is kind of fresh and jaunty. In some accents you might even hear an R sound in "Jameson" so why not just spell it that way.

Chammocka, I got nuthin'. Is it pronounced like CHAH-muck-uh? Kind of rhymes with Hanukkah. chuh-MUH-kuh kind of sounds like a dance from the '70s.
~Lynn2000

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #18113 on: February 27, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »
I would pronounce it "Joey" because that's how it looked to me...I didn't see "Joy" until you pointed it out.

My coworker's sister is pregnant and coming up with many ...entertaining... names. "Graceful Desire Lastname" is what they are currently trying to talk her into abandoning. But apparently coworker's dad, the soon to be grandpa, is stressed about all this because he had a dream wherein a young girl said "Hi grandpa, it's me, Asparagus!"

Everyone is keeping the dream story away from Pregnant Sister.

It could be worse.  "Hi, Grandpa, it's me, Cauliflower!"

heartmug

« Reply #18114 on: February 27, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »
"Hi grandpa, it's me, Eggplant."
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

lilfox

« Reply #18115 on: February 27, 2014, 05:35:28 PM »
A female cast member on Survivor this season has a name spelled J'Tia.  I didn't catch the episode so I don't know how it's pronounced.  My guess is, roughly, "Juh TEE Ah."

Also I was looking through some 2013 issues of People, and there was a tragic story about a girl named Rehtaeh.  This hurts my brain because I'm pretty good with anagrams and palindromes and I can't not see it as "Heather, but wrong."  (See also, Nevaeh)

EDited to correct the spelling of the girl's name (Addy's post below is correct about the source, and it is Heather backwards).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:33:12 AM by lilfox »

fountainof

« Reply #18116 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »
A female cast member on Survivor this season has a name spelled J'Tia.  I didn't catch the episode so I don't know how it's pronounced.  My guess is, roughly, "Juh TEE Ah."
That is how they said it on the show.  I do wonder how other contestants know how to spell the other's names.  Do they memorize them ahead of time or just go up to the person and say "I'm thinking of voting for you, how do you spell your name?".

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18117 on: February 27, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
That is how they said it on the show.  I do wonder how other contestants know how to spell the other's names.  Do they memorize them ahead of time or just go up to the person and say "I'm thinking of voting for you, how do you spell your name?".

They spell it however they think it's spelled. If you look at the ballots, the same name will be spelled multiple different ways. :)

whatsanenigma

« Reply #18118 on: February 28, 2014, 07:48:22 PM »
Saw this one at the doctor's office today (baby girl with name embroidered on blanket) - Coye.

It's kind of cute, actually.

It is kind of cute, but I have to admit that the first thing I thought of was "Don't you hang up on the 'lustrus potentate! Coyeeeee!"

http://youtu.be/pO_tXzeiZAQ

ETA: Now that I think of it, I'm surprised no one has used "Illustrious Potentate" as a name yet.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:49:58 PM by whatsanenigma »

Rohanna

« Reply #18119 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:54 PM »
I haven't read the full thread.

Noshawn, pronounced No shawn.  Is there a yes shawn? ;D

How will the parents deal with the terrible two stage? No Noshawn?? Confused kid will be confused.

No more than Noah, Noella, Nolan, or Nol I suppose. I wonder if they get confused... I've never thought about it,
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And well change the world. ~ Jack Layton.