Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1925039 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18255 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
My ex is heavily into genealogy, and will often give our son updates on the information he has found.  Ex really gets into it, and there are some interesting names in his family tree.

An intriguing one he recently discovered is the name Salathiel.  Evidently, it is a legitimate, Biblical masculine name.  The more I say it out loud, the more I like it.  Had I known of this name at the time we were expecting our son, I might even have considered it.  It is enough like Nathaniel or Daniel, with that -iel ending, to sound not so weird, and I happen to love Sal as a nickname for a boy, (I have a great-uncle Salvatore on my Italian side who goes by Sal.) 

Do y'all like it?  I'm not having any more children; that train left the station long ago, but I was wondering if it really is kind of a cool name, or is it too oddball for a kid of the 21st century?  The Salathiel in the family tree lived in the 1800s.
It's definitely got a biblical ring to it.

I probably read too much horror and fantasy, because Salathiel sounds a bit like either an angel or a demon or some kind of supernatural entity. It puts me in mind of angels like Uriel and Remiel, or demons like Agiel or Belial.

POD. It strikes me first as a bit more "fantasy," or "mystical religious," than purely Biblical or historical. I do think it's a harmonious-sounding name, but I feel like it would be rather out-there for a child. On the other hand, if all the kids in the family had out-there names with a solid family history basis, particularly Biblical, maybe it would work through sheer force of will. Amy and Salathiel, for example, would just make Salathiel seem that much weirder. Salathiel and Hepzibah might work, though.
~Lynn2000

Kariachi

« Reply #18256 on: April 22, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
My ex is heavily into genealogy, and will often give our son updates on the information he has found.  Ex really gets into it, and there are some interesting names in his family tree.

An intriguing one he recently discovered is the name Salathiel.  Evidently, it is a legitimate, Biblical masculine name.  The more I say it out loud, the more I like it.  Had I known of this name at the time we were expecting our son, I might even have considered it.  It is enough like Nathaniel or Daniel, with that -iel ending, to sound not so weird, and I happen to love Sal as a nickname for a boy, (I have a great-uncle Salvatore on my Italian side who goes by Sal.) 

Do y'all like it?  I'm not having any more children; that train left the station long ago, but I was wondering if it really is kind of a cool name, or is it too oddball for a kid of the 21st century?  The Salathiel in the family tree lived in the 1800s.
It's definitely got a biblical ring to it.

I probably read too much horror and fantasy, because Salathiel sounds a bit like either an angel or a demon or some kind of supernatural entity. It puts me in mind of angels like Uriel and Remiel, or demons like Agiel or Belial.

POD. It strikes me first as a bit more "fantasy," or "mystical religious," than purely Biblical or historical. I do think it's a harmonious-sounding name, but I feel like it would be rather out-there for a child. On the other hand, if all the kids in the family had out-there names with a solid family history basis, particularly Biblical, maybe it would work through sheer force of will. Amy and Salathiel, for example, would just make Salathiel seem that much weirder. Salathiel and Hepzibah might work, though.

I'm pretty sure this is why middle names were invented, so parents could use unfashionable names without dooming their children completely. Amelia Hepzibah and Joseph Salathiel, for instance, are much more socially acceptable than using either as a first name would generally be.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18257 on: April 22, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »
Seen today - Sharlette.  When I first saw it, I thought it was Scarlett.  Took another look, thought for some reason it said Shallot.  Let's hope other people this poor woman meets are not as bad at deciphering names as I am!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18258 on: April 23, 2014, 07:01:21 AM »
Seen today - Sharlette.  When I first saw it, I thought it was Scarlett.  Took another look, thought for some reason it said Shallot.  Let's hope other people this poor woman meets are not as bad at deciphering names as I am!

Why not use good old fashioned Charlotte? It is cute, I think.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18259 on: April 29, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »
Seen recently: MaryJoanna.  Maybe her parents were hippies?  ???
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #18260 on: April 29, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »

Why hippies? While joining two names may be unusual, it is not something I particularly associate with hippies.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #18261 on: April 29, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
just say it quickly to yourself

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18262 on: April 29, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »

Why hippies? While joining two names may be unusual, it is not something I particularly associate with hippies.
You may be more familiar with the Spanish form of the name: Marijuana.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18263 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:43 AM »
I've been seeing a lot of old fashioned names lately for girls would were born in the mid-90s.

Patience
Fern
Lily

But I really think people should sound out the whole name before they give it to their child.

Patience Snood does not roll off the tongue.

heartmug

« Reply #18264 on: April 30, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
I know 2 people who in the past year have had relatives name their girls "Fern" and 3 that have named their girls "Penelope."  Wonder if these older names are coming back around?
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Margo

« Reply #18265 on: April 30, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of old fashioned names lately for girls would were born in the mid-90s.

Patience
Fern
Lily

But I really think people should sound out the whole name before they give it to their child.

Also consider what the initials are .

daen

« Reply #18266 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »

Patience
Fern
Lily

Indeed. Poor Arthur Seymore Sullivan.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18267 on: May 01, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »

Patience
Fern
Lily

Indeed. Poor Arthur Seymore Sullivan.

I once met a guy called Phil Hallas.  Where he worked  - this was in the early days of email before the convention became first name.second name - the construction for email addresses was initial.familyname@organisation.co.uk

Think about it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:59:15 AM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18268 on: May 01, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
I knew the daughter of some hippies who had the intials T. H. C. - at least it was marginally more subtle than Mary Jane or even Mary Joanna....

And Phil really couldn't even go by Phillip to try to avoid looking like HE had a Freudian fascination with himself.  Adding a middle initial to the email name might have helped - as changing your last name is seen as a BIG legal step, as well as a hassle - although usually most businesses only added that middle initial if there were more than one person with the same initial and last name in the same organization.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

pwv

« Reply #18269 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:30 PM »
One place I worked for had email addresses with our first initial and our last name, with no punctuation, preceding the @

So  Mary Smith  would be   msmith@agency.gov

Two co-workers were named  Stephanie Hitt  and  Ed Strogen