A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Baby Names - You're kidding Right???

<< < (3654/3771) > >>

Margo:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on April 30, 2014, 11:16:43 AM ---I've been seeing a lot of old fashioned names lately for girls would were born in the mid-90s.

Patience
Fern
Lily

But I really think people should sound out the whole name before they give it to their child.

Patience Snood does not roll off the tongue.

--- End quote ---

Also consider what the initials are .

daen:

--- Quote from: Margo on April 30, 2014, 01:31:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on April 30, 2014, 11:16:43 AM ---I've been seeing a lot of old fashioned names lately for girls would were born in the mid-90s.

Patience
Fern
Lily

But I really think people should sound out the whole name before they give it to their child.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Indeed. Poor Arthur Seymore Sullivan.

starry diadem:

--- Quote from: daen on April 30, 2014, 01:59:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Margo on April 30, 2014, 01:31:01 PM ---

Patience
Fern
Lily

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Indeed. Poor Arthur Seymore Sullivan.

--- End quote ---

I once met a guy called Phil Hallas.  Where he worked  - this was in the early days of email before the convention became first name.second name - the construction for email addresses was initial.familyname@organisation.co.uk

Think about it.

VorFemme:
I knew the daughter of some hippies who had the intials T. H. C. - at least it was marginally more subtle than Mary Jane or even Mary Joanna....

And Phil really couldn't even go by Phillip to try to avoid looking like HE had a Freudian fascination with himself.  Adding a middle initial to the email name might have helped - as changing your last name is seen as a BIG legal step, as well as a hassle - although usually most businesses only added that middle initial if there were more than one person with the same initial and last name in the same organization.

pwv:
One place I worked for had email addresses with our first initial and our last name, with no punctuation, preceding the @

So  Mary Smith  would be   msmith@agency.gov

Two co-workers were named  Stephanie Hitt  and  Ed Strogen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version