Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2013657 times)

Mal

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18300 on: May 16, 2014, 11:26:34 AM »
My mom spent a year in Wales when she went to university and absolutely loved her landlord and landlady, so much so that she planned to give a Welsh name to one of her kids.
Therefore, I came very close to being named Myfanwy.
And while I think this is a very beautiful name with a pretty sound (and for a short period of teenage romanticism I resented my mom for not following through), that only goes for when it's pronounced correctly, which is not something I think would happen here where I grew up and live.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18301 on: May 16, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
One of the first things a child learns in school is how to spell his/her name. 

I was lucky and was given a simple name like 'Ann Smith'.  Poor 'Beverly Bauldischweiler' had a harder time with that early assignment. 

Later, she posed a real behavior problem at our school.  I ask parents with a complicated last name to select simple first names for their children. It makes life so much simpler for the child. 

For the record, 'Anastasia Radischinsky' didn't do much better.     

Nuala

« Reply #18302 on: May 16, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
At least you can pronounce Rarity or Pemberley - what about the 10(!) poor boys called  Jceion...
And what's with Xzaiden? Superfluous lettering surely?

Well, J-A-S-O-N is so plebeian, don't you know. :P

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18303 on: May 16, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
At least you can pronounce Rarity or Pemberley - what about the 10(!) poor boys called  Jceion...
And what's with Xzaiden? Superfluous lettering surely?

Well, J-A-S-O-N is so plebeian, don't you know. :P

Oh.  That's Jason?  I assumed it was Sean (Shawn)!  Or perhaps even a version of John.  Yes, I do believe that little boy is going to have a rough time with people calling him by his 'correct' name, whatever that might be.   :)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18304 on: May 16, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
My mom spent a year in Wales when she went to university and absolutely loved her landlord and landlady, so much so that she planned to give a Welsh name to one of her kids.
And while I think this is a very beautiful name with a pretty sound (and for a short period of teenage romanticism I resented my mom for not following through), that only goes for when it's pronounced correctly, which is not something I think would happen here where I grew up and live.

How is that really pronounced. Because I am sure it isn't the "my - fan -wee"  I would attempt if I saw it.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18305 on: May 16, 2014, 02:07:10 PM »

How is that really pronounced. Because I am sure it isn't the "my - fan -wee"  I would attempt if I saw it.
I'd have thought the same thing and had visions of a tiny child being asked her name and she said "My Fan Wee" and the other person said "Yes, Dear.  I see that you're here with your family."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18306 on: May 16, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »

The trick to pronouncing it is that the Welsh 'f' is pronounced like the English 'v' and the 'w' is more like a 'u'. Muh-van-ooee is close (but not really right either.) If you want the English 'f' sound, you go with 'ff' in Welsh. 'Dd' is the voiced 'th' sound ('this') and 'th' is the unvoiced one ('thin').

Edit: More like Muh-vahn-oo-ee. That 'a' is an 'ah' not a long 'a'.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:32:04 PM by artk2002 »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Frog24

« Reply #18307 on: May 16, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
Did anyone else see the cake for the little girl Graycyn on Cake Wrecks the other day?  I presume it's pronounced like the male version of "Grayson".

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #18308 on: May 16, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »
Did anyone else see the cake for the little girl Graycyn on Cake Wrecks the other day?  I presume it's pronounced like the male version of "Grayson".

I would pronounce Grayson like "Grey-suhn" and Graycyn like "Grey-sin".

Vita brevis, ars longa

Allyson

« Reply #18309 on: May 17, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
With my accent, those two sound the same! Must be an Aaron/Erin thing (different to some, the same to others).

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18310 on: May 19, 2014, 12:28:30 AM »
In our company directory, someone with the first name "Praise-God".  :)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #18311 on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:48 AM »

That's the name of someone in Parliament a long time ago. His son was Nicholas If-Jesus-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18312 on: May 19, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »

That's the name of someone in Parliament a long time ago. His son was Nicholas If-Jesus-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned.

I'm having a problem finding it on Google but there was a folk figure in 19th century America who was known as 'Canned' Smith.  He was given an absurdly long name that was almost a sonnet.  The name ended with 'And God Preserved'.  That was how he became known as 'Canned'. 

Does anyone know where I can find this? 

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18313 on: May 19, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »

The trick to pronouncing it is that the Welsh 'f' is pronounced like the English 'v' and the 'w' is more like a 'u'. Muh-van-ooee is close (but not really right either.) If you want the English 'f' sound, you go with 'ff' in Welsh. 'Dd' is the voiced 'th' sound ('this') and 'th' is the unvoiced one ('thin').

Edit: More like Muh-vahn-oo-ee. That 'a' is an 'ah' not a long 'a'.

That is a pretty name, but no way would most people in the US get that by reading it. So it is probably for the best that the mom chose a different name.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #18314 on: May 19, 2014, 05:13:13 PM »
I work in a school and this past year we had a Justin Case.  I thought it quite clever :)

Poor Don Donker gives me the giggles though!