Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1950166 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18360 on: May 28, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
We also had a whole series of creatively spelled names with "yah" tacked onto the end.  The "yah" part was silent. Ex:  Robbyenneyah.  Prounced "Robin".
How in bloody begeezus do they get "Robin" out of that mess?  I'd pronounce it just as it looks -- Rob ee en ee yah. 

The only reason that I can see for cre8ive spelling is so that your Jennifer or Melissa or Emily can be distinctive from the other 5 in her school year with the same name.  But I don't think "Robin" is one of those names, any more than the Ahhneastee who started this thread needs to be distinguished from multiple other girls named "Honesty."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mister E

« Reply #18361 on: June 04, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
I've got one. This person isn't a baby but a young woman in her 20s. And let me also say that I don't like last names used as first names in general.

A nephew of mine's sister-in-law is named Schollin (pronounced Shuh-lean). It's her grandmother's maiden name on her mother's side. Why my nephew's mother-in-law decided that would make a good first name I have no idea but I don't really care for it. I swear it has nothing to do with the fact that his sister-in-law is a know-it-all and can be generally difficult to deal with.  ;D

My nephew's wife and her brother have more common names that aren't really unusual. Although his wife's name is spelled a little differently than you'd normally see it.

Ed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:59:49 PM by Mister E »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18362 on: June 04, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Fomeka
Mekelia

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #18363 on: June 04, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »
I met a little girl with a name pronounced Ruby (roo-bee) Spelled Rubby.  ???

The mum gets really annoyed if people spell it with only one R, or if people read it and pronounce it ru-bee.

Apparently she was told before she registered the birth, but refused to accept spelling makes a difference to the pronunciation. Stubbornness or illiteracy, I don't know. The grandparents cringe about it.

The Red Sox have a pitcher from the DR named Rubby De La Rosa.  Just like that little girl, pronounced roo-bee.   ???

Allyson

« Reply #18364 on: June 04, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
There was an Elia mentioned in the Game of Thrones TV show and book series. I believe it was pronounced Ee-lee-ah, like the end of Cordelia.

Editeer

« Reply #18365 on: June 04, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »
Elia Kazan (EE lee ah), but he was a man.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #18366 on: June 04, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
Or Lee Elia (EEElia, to the best of my knowledge), he of the most famous baseball rant ever.

Mister E

« Reply #18367 on: June 04, 2014, 11:03:06 PM »
I thought of a couple more.

These are both relatives to me and in both cases female. One, is a young woman in her early 30s and the other is a little girl about 3 years old. While these aren't the worst names I've ever came across neither is something I'd name my daughter.

The young adult woman is the daughter of one of my cousins. Her mom was the one that named both her and her older brother. Her first name is a fairly common one and isn't that unusual it's just her middle name that's "creative" for lack of a better word. Her mom decided to combine my cousin's first name and her own middle name for their daughter's middle name (the names are Darwin and Lynn) and she came up with Darlynn (pronounced just like the term darlin'). The other relatives had two boys already and decided that they weren't having anymore after they found out she was pregnant with their third child who turned out to be a girl. The mom also got really creative with both first and middle names so their daughter is Braeley Christianna. (the first syllable of the first name is pronounced with a long "A" sound and I really don't know how or why she decided to spell it that way but I don't really like it as a name). This little girl's dad and mom are named Braden and Ashley. Ashley said she came up with both names by combining her and her husband's first and middle names. So Braeley is a combination of Braden and Ashley. I've always assumed (but don't know for sure) that their middle names then are Christopher and Anna, that's the only thing I can think of that would get you Christianna. I think it does sound kind of pretty as a girl's name but it's kind of long.

Ed. ETA: I think Darlynn is just too "cutesy".
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:34:39 AM by Mister E »

Mister E

« Reply #18368 on: June 04, 2014, 11:11:33 PM »
And I remembered another one.

An aunt and uncle on my dad's side had 2 sons and a daughter. The daughter's name is Delphine (pronounced Del-feen). She's the only woman I've ever known with that name. Has anyone else ever came across it? I think it's a bit strange.

Ed.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #18369 on: June 04, 2014, 11:57:52 PM »

An aunt and uncle on my dad's side had 2 sons and a daughter. The daughter's name is Delphine (pronounced Del-feen). She's the only woman I've ever known with that name. Has anyone else ever came across it? I think it's a bit strange.

Ed.

One of my distant cousins is named Delphine. It used to be pretty popular. It is one of those old-fashioned names that has faded out.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

faithlessone

« Reply #18370 on: June 05, 2014, 01:42:12 AM »

Ed.

One of my distant cousins is named Delphine. It used to be pretty popular. It is one of those old-fashioned names that has faded out.

It's also the name of a character on Orphan Black - Cosima's scientist girlfriend.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18371 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:05 AM »
It's the French form of Delphina. According to the generally reliable behindthename.com it means of D e l p h i.  If I don't put spaces in it turns it to Delphooey. No idea.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:43:42 AM by iridaceae »

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18372 on: June 05, 2014, 05:22:12 AM »

Ed.

It's French and although uncommon, isn't unknown.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #18373 on: June 05, 2014, 06:12:30 AM »

Ed.

Maybe one of her parent's are Terry Pratchett fans.  ;)

I've met both a Delphine and a Delphina.  They were Aunt and niece to one another. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Margo

« Reply #18374 on: June 05, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »
Neither Delphine nor Chistianna seem out of the way to me - they are both fairly well-established, if unusaul, names