Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1924594 times)

gmatoy

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18420 on: June 11, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »
As a teacher I see my fair share of names. I want to think that I have a 50/50 chance of being right; however, I think that the new names are reducing my odds! This week: Dasha and DaSean. Two boys different classes and ages. The first one I say: "Duh Shawn" and I'm right! ;D So I go with the same pronunciation for the second child. No!!! It is pronounced: Day Seen!

It is good that the school year is  almost over!

More names:
Doshua (rhymes with Joshua.)

Limetrio (La Me tree-o)

Really great children and I know that their names won't cause me any trouble next year! (Quick learner!) ;)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18421 on: June 11, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
Ran across one recently -- Mellannise. Is it meant to be a combination of Melanie and Denise, is it some ethnic name I'm not familiar with, or just made up? I just saw it on paper, so I have no idea the age or race or the person involved. I'm not entirely sure how to pronounce it. MEL-uh-nees is my best guess. It makes me think of some kind of sauce -- hollandaise, mayonnaise, mellanise. :)

I didn't even get past the second sentence before I was hitting the "quote" button to say it made me think of mayonnaise!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18422 on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
As a teacher I see my fair share of names. I want to think that I have a 50/50 chance of being right; however, I think that the new names are reducing my odds! This week: Dasha and DaSean. Two boys different classes and ages. The first one I say: "Duh Shawn" and I'm right! ;D So I go with the same pronunciation for the second child. No!!! It is pronounced: Day Seen!

More names:

Limetrio (La Me tree-o)

Really great children and I know that their names won't cause me any trouble next year! (Quick learner!) ;)

How do you get "Duh Shawn" from Dasha? I would have said "da-sha"!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

gmatoy

« Reply #18423 on: June 11, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »

More names:

Limetrio (La Me tree-o)

How do you get "Duh Shawn" from Dasha? I would have said "da-sha"!

The first name was DaShawn. (I have no idea how that happened...I even used spell-check!)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #18424 on: June 11, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
Cashier at the hardware store yesterday: Qiana. I thought it was quite pretty.

I also used to know a girl called Lironica (pronounced like Veronica with an L).
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

MagicEyes

« Reply #18425 on: June 11, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
Isn't Qiana a 70s-era synthetic fabric? I wonder if she has sisters named Dacron and Rayon.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18426 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:59 PM »
I saw one the other day - Lahree.  Would you pronounce it like Laurie?  Or would it be La-Ree?

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #18427 on: June 11, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »

My junior-year boyfriend wore those fancy designed qiana shirts to school just about every day.  To me, 70s people!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18428 on: June 12, 2014, 12:07:28 AM »
I don't know if I have mentioned this but... a friend of mine has a son with a nice classic name, biblical in nature. We'll call him John. She's pregnant again, another boy. What does she decide to name him? Michael, perhaps? Luke? Mmm no.

Raiden.

Mister E

« Reply #18429 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:43 AM »
I knew several people in high school with some odd names. Raiden reminds me that one of the guys I graduated with was named Folden. It sounds like a last name to me and I've never known anyone else with that name.

Also there was a teacher when I was in high school that eventually became one of the guidance counselors before I graduated. She had two daughters named Reilly and McKenna. ::)

Ed.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18430 on: June 12, 2014, 03:05:16 AM »
Raiden makes me want to quote from Mortal Kombat .

Browyn

« Reply #18431 on: June 12, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
Raiden makes me want to quote from Mortal Kombat .

Makes me think of bug spray "I'm a gonna raiden those ants" lol

poundcake

« Reply #18432 on: June 12, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
I've never quite grasped the rules behind giving children the names of places, and which ones are and aren't acceptable. I mean, I can call my son Devon, but not Cornwall. I can call my daughter India but not Tibet, or Chelsea, but not Bermondsey. Chester but not Wigan. Dakota but not Ohio.

I am now tempted to write The Lovestory of Fivemiletown and Tandragee.

I think there is no "rule" behind it, it's mostly that we find Chelsea not unconventional because we've heard it as a name before but we haven't heard of a little Cornwall yet, maybe in a few years some celebrity will name their kid Bermondsey and it will catch up and we'll end up thinking of it as a normal name.

"Western Expansion" names in the US used to be quite popular in the mid-1800s, on into the early 20th century. It wasn't uncommon to hear first names like Nevada, Utah, Montana, Tennessee, or Louisiana. But at least now we've got two million kids named Dakota! 

TriCrazy73

« Reply #18433 on: June 12, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »
I knew several people in high school with some odd names. Raiden reminds me that one of the guys I graduated with was named Folden. It sounds like a last name to me and I've never known anyone else with that name.

Also there was a teacher when I was in high school that eventually became one of the guidance counselors before I graduated. She had two daughters named Reilly and McKenna. ::)

Ed.

Not sure why Reilly and McKenna are eye-roll worthy.  Both those names are increasingly more common..especially Reilly.

gmatoy

« Reply #18434 on: June 13, 2014, 01:13:23 AM »

Ed.

Got to know when to hold them and when to Folden...Slinking off, hanging my head in shame.