Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1917582 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18495 on: June 19, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
That was all I could think of!!

And I have no idea how to pronounce it. Ay-lee-ahh-na? Maybe?

I was thinking it's pronounced "uh-leen-uh". A lien is a legal term pronounced like lean, so that was where my thoughts went eventually. I'm assuming it's not supposed to be pronounced like "alien" with an "uh" at the end. :)

Funny, I always thought lien was pronounced lee-EN, which to me would make the name ay-lee-EN-uh. That's kind of pretty, really. Definitely a case where creative spelling would have been useful, though--Ayllienna maybe. Anything to distance it from aliens! :)

Thought of another one. A friend of mine has a co-worker from Southeast Asia. His name is Md Smith (well, not Smith, but that's not important) and everyone calls him a nickname based on his last name, like Smitty. His first name is Md. Emm-dee. I was assuming it was an abbreviation for Mohammed, an incredibly common name in the Muslim world (which is where he's from). But, according to my friend, everything this guy has his name on, from reports to his driver's license to his passport, it just says Md (no period, he's particular about that). If he calls his insurance company and is asked for his first name, he says "Md." Kind of interesting.
~Lynn2000

Catananche

« Reply #18496 on: June 19, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »
A Facebook friend just announced her baby's name (said baby is only 18 weeks along in pregnancy at this point, which is another pet peeve, but whatever). The name?

Aliena.

Do they have any Dutch or Flemish branches in their family tree? Because it's a Dutch name. Old-fashioned and not really in use any more, it was never popular to begin with. pronounced more or less as ah-LEAN-ah.
Alina is the more popular version over here.

menley

« Reply #18497 on: June 19, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »
A Facebook friend just announced her baby's name (said baby is only 18 weeks along in pregnancy at this point, which is another pet peeve, but whatever). The name?

Aliena.

Do they have any Dutch or Flemish branches in their family tree? Because it's a Dutch name. Old-fashioned and not really in use any more, it was never popular to begin with. pronounced more or less as ah-LEAN-ah.
Alina is the more popular version over here.

Nope, 100% English. I do have a friend named Alina and I think that's really pretty - I think I'm just thrown by it looking like alien :)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #18498 on: June 19, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
Aliena?  Is she going to burst out of the abdominal cavity like the Alien movies?

I thought that name was pronounced Al - ee - AY - nah. I rather like it.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #18499 on: June 19, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
Possibly. But I've never met a woman with that name either. It seems to me that feminine variations of Glen just aren't that common.

Ed.

I wonder what Glenn Close's parents had been thinking...

I used to work with a woman named Glenn. I also recently encountered a woman named Michael.

Oh, and the latest two that made me roll my eyes? Extici and Sparkles. ::)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #18500 on: June 19, 2014, 07:01:04 PM »
That's interesting Tea Drinker. I recently found out a woman I've known for several years named Kathy, is just that. It's not Katherine or any variation of it her given name is actually Kathy, I think she's the only one with that short form I've ever known. And one of my brother's brother-in-law's given name is just Tim (not Timothy). I've often wondered why parents give a child a short form of a particular name and not the full name. I usually just go by Ed but my full name is Edward.

Ed.

My niece is Sally.  My sister said that she loved the diminutive form of Sarah (or Sara) far more than the full name, and since niece would inevitably get her name shortened, they decided to just cut out the middleman, so to speak, and had her christened Sally.

Sally is a diminutive of Sarah? I've never heard that. Hm.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Carotte

« Reply #18501 on: June 19, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »
I already forgot who it was but my parents were talking about a man called Élysée, yes, just like the famous parisian avenue or the 'white house ' of France (' président) .
It might not sound that weird for someone not from France but with a name that peaked in 1900 it's quite surprising. Maybe more because we are used to the féminine name Élise or Alizé and it sounds like a mix of both.

Mister E

« Reply #18502 on: June 19, 2014, 10:39:29 PM »
I don't know why I didn't think of this one sooner. The young woman I mentioned in a previous post named Dayna, her dad also has a somewhat unusual name. Well it's not such an odd name but the spelling is unusual. His name is Garrie (pronounced just like Gary). Now the overwhelming majority of guys I've known with that name it's been spelled Gary and I've maybe known one or two that spelled it Garry. He's the only man I've known with this spelling and I think it's quite unusual, at least where I live. Maybe it's more common in other places but I have no idea. Even the story of how he was named that is kind of weird. His dad picked it out of the phone book, true story, and I guess his mom liked it too and went along with it. But, the unusual spelling is because it was the LAST name of someone listed in the telephone book. The guy has told me this himself (we're friends), just not how or why his dad was looking for baby names in the phone book. Maybe I'll get an explanation about it someday. He has one older brother named Scott. Not even a unique spelling LOL.

Ed. ETA: I just think going through the phone book (for whatever reason) and seeing a name and thinking I like that for the new baby! is really weird. I actually like the name Gary, but I don't like that spelling of it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:01:25 AM by Mister E »

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18503 on: June 20, 2014, 03:05:24 AM »

My niece is Sally.  My sister said that she loved the diminutive form of Sarah (or Sara) far more than the full name, and since niece would inevitably get her name shortened, they decided to just cut out the middleman, so to speak, and had her christened Sally.

Yes, a very common one, although it's gaining ground as a name in its own right. The other main diminutive for Sarah is Sadie - again, becoming a name in itself.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Margo

« Reply #18504 on: June 20, 2014, 08:01:46 AM »
It's been a name in it's own right as well as a diminutive for a long time. My aunt, Sally, is over 60, and I believe that there were a number of others in her peer group at school too..

I have never heard of Sadie as a diminutive of Sarah, I've only ever come across it as a name in it's own right.

(I'm not disputing that it started out that way, just that I've never heard of them being the same name!)

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #18505 on: June 20, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »
My grandmother was a Sadie, born in 1898, who was named afted a Sarah.  Funny how her name is somewhat back in fashion.  Only took a century and a bit. 

Redwing

« Reply #18506 on: June 20, 2014, 08:57:33 AM »

Yes, a very common one, although it's gaining ground as a name in its own right. The other main diminutive for Sarah is Sadie - again, becoming a name in itself.

My name is Sally and I was born in the 1950s.  I think in my whole life, I've met less than 10 Sally's.  My father chose my name.  I don't think Sarah was ever a candidate.

Margo

« Reply #18507 on: June 20, 2014, 09:08:03 AM »
I wonder if it is regional?

I'm in the UK, and I would say that Sally is a fairly common name, although a little out of fashion now - I can think of 5 Sallys I know well, other than my aunt,  2 of whom are around my age (I was born in the 70s) and the others are older.

GreenHall

« Reply #18508 on: June 20, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »
Possibly. But I've never met a woman with that name either. It seems to me that feminine variations of Glen just aren't that common.

Ed.

I wonder what Glenn Close's parents had been thinking...

I used to work with a woman named Glenn. I also recently encountered a woman named Michael.

Oh, and the latest two that made me roll my eyes? Extici and Sparkles. ::)
I did hiring at my old department.  One of my favorite names was Sparkle *Smith* (Don't actually remember the last name).  Full name was Sparkle Leigh Smith. ;D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18509 on: June 20, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
About the name Sally.

Those of us who are really old can remember well our first grade Scott Foresman readers "Fun With wingadingdingy and Jane" in which one of the main characters was their little sister, Baby Sally.  I knew several Sallys growing up, but not a single person named Sarah until my roommate my first year of college.   :)