Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2012370 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18510 on: June 20, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

I did hiring at my old department.  One of my favorite names was Sparkle *Smith* (Don't actually remember the last name).  Full name was Sparkle Leigh Smith. ;D
One of the recommendations for naming a baby, especially a girl, is to give it the stripper/judge test.  "And now the KitKat Theater is proud to present Sparkle Leigh Smith!" vs. "All rise for the Honorable Judge Sparkle Leigh Smith!"  Sorry, but that name has "stripper" plastered all over it.

I think a lot of people are stuck on the most adorable name for a baby, not for a future adult.  Yes, Sparkle is a very cute name for a baby.  Or a dog or cat.  But not for an adult who hopes to get a job that doesn't involve taking her clothes off.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:41:28 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Southern_Continent

« Reply #18511 on: June 20, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »
Dropping my kidlet off a camp one day, I saw a little girl with the nametag, "Abbhyghaiyle"

I'm assuming it's pronounced like Abigail...

I like unusual names, but the weird spellings just floor me sometimes. If you think the name is overused and need to add 10 vowels to make it work for you, maybe consider a different name?

Shea

« Reply #18512 on: June 20, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
Dropping my kidlet off a camp one day, I saw a little girl with the nametag, "Abbhyghaiyle"

I'm assuming it's pronounced like Abigail...

I like unusual names, but the weird spellings just floor me sometimes. If you think the name is overused and need to add 10 vowels to make it work for you, maybe consider a different name?

I'm hoping against hope that the kid wrote her own name tag and is just too young to spell properly, so she got creative.

Otherwise... ??? :o

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Southern_Continent

« Reply #18513 on: June 20, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »

I'm hoping against hope that the kid wrote her own name tag and is just too young to spell properly, so she got creative.

Otherwise... ??? :o

She was pretty little - probably 4 or 5 max, and it was a typed nametag...

JoW

« Reply #18514 on: June 20, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »

I did hiring at my old department.  One of my favorite names was Sparkle *Smith* (Don't actually remember the last name).  Full name was Sparkle Leigh Smith. ;D
One of the recommendations for naming a baby, especially a girl, is to give it the stripper/judge test.  "And now the KitKat Theater is proud to present Sparkle Leigh Smith!" vs. "All rise for the Honorable Judge Sparkle Leigh Smith!"  Sorry, but that name has "stripper" plastered all over it.

I think a lot of people are stuck on the most adorable name for a baby, not for a future adult.  Yes, Sparkle is a very cute name for a baby.  Or a dog or cat.  But not for an adult who hopes to get a job that doesn't involve taking her clothes off.
If you are really set on a strange name you can use it as a middle name.  Leigh Sparkle Smith isn't nearly as bad a Sparkle Leigh (Sparkley?) Smith.  DB2 and his son have dad's mother's maiden name as a middle name.  Its a little odd but not as bad as it would be as a first name. 

daen

« Reply #18515 on: June 20, 2014, 11:25:03 PM »
I knew a girl once whose name was basically Illiana, or thereabouts. It seems like a popular combination of sounds, whether it leans more towards I, E, or A at the beginning. And people can be very creative with the spelling--I think her name was actually spelled Illyena.

The name sounds a little familiar to me, so I did a bit of searching.
Ilyena is a character in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
According to babynames.com, Iliana is a name of Greek origin, and Illeana is a name of Italian origin, both of which mean "bright."

I probably came across it in my SF-reading days.

parrot_girl

« Reply #18516 on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »
I read this one in today's local paper this evening. Listed in the obituaries was a woman in her 90s named Glenice. I'm thinking it's pronounced like Glen-neece? It looks like an old fashioned name as I've never seen it or heard it before in my life. Sort of interesting.

Ed.

It's my mother's name! Here, it's pronounced the same as Glenys. I've no idea why Grandma & Grandpa went with that spelling. :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18517 on: June 21, 2014, 10:54:33 PM »
Sparkle was the name of a young woman in the Detective D. Tracy comic series - after Moon Maid was killed, she married his widowed son and is now his DIL.  Sparkle Plenty - who was a country singer as a kid & still sings with her mother and another relative...

I just rediscovered a website to read the new comics recently...I remember reading it for the first time about fifty years ago in second grade...things have changed a bit.  The wrist wizards now link to the computers in the police headquarters...

But the names are still odd and the villains are drawn to make their names both puns and a reflection of their looks & personalities.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #18518 on: June 21, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »
Young man who carried some bookcases to my car for me:  Quantrelle. 

Came across this one in a small town phone book:  Tatum Clingenpeel.  Further research shows that this is a female, as her name is listed on a college women's basketball team roster, with the middle name of Nicole.  Since the college is in the same part of the state as the town where I found it in the phone book, I'm assuming it's the same person.  There can't be that many with that name.

daen

« Reply #18519 on: June 21, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
Sparkle was the name of a young woman in the Detective D. Tracy comic series - after Moon Maid was killed, she married his widowed son and is now his DIL.  Sparkle Plenty - who was a country singer as a kid & still sings with her mother and another relative...

I just rediscovered a website to read the new comics recently...I remember reading it for the first time about fifty years ago in second grade...things have changed a bit.  The wrist wizards now link to the computers in the police headquarters...

But the names are still odd and the villains are drawn to make their names both puns and a reflection of their looks & personalities.

Then there's the author Sparkle Hayter...

Mister E

« Reply #18520 on: June 21, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »
A niece of mine's husband is named Quintin, the only guy I've met with that name. Now I'm pretty sure that's a variation of Quinton (Which is a rather rare name itself, I've never met one) So I would imagine Quintin is even rarer. Really nice young man and it suits him I think I just wonder how his mother chose it as a name. (His middle name is Allan so that's a lot more common).

Ed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:33:24 PM by Mister E »

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18521 on: June 22, 2014, 01:11:08 AM »
A niece of mine's husband is named Quintin, the only guy I've met with that name. Now I'm pretty sure that's a variation of Quinton (Which is a rather rare name itself, I've never met one) So I would imagine Quintin is even rarer. Really nice young man and it suits him I think I just wonder how his mother chose it as a name. (His middle name is Allan so that's a lot more common).

Ed.

One of our local vicars rejoices in the wonderful name of Quintin Peppiatt. He's also an elected local councillor (https://mgov.newham.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=221).

The form that's most familiar is Quentin, I think. As in Quentin Crisp, or Quentin Tarantino.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18522 on: June 22, 2014, 01:36:54 AM »
Aliena is the female protagonist in Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. I'm not surprised it's getting used here and there.

Mister E

« Reply #18523 on: June 22, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »
I don't know I've always thought that Quentin and Quinton (and variations of it) were two totally different names, even though they sound similar. But maybe I'm wrong. I like them all right but they're just rather rare.

Ed.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18524 on: June 22, 2014, 10:47:39 PM »
Tatum Clingenpeel-

Tatum is old-fashioned, but lovely.  There was an actress...

I would expect instead of Clingenpeel, to have a Clingenstick!    ;D

and, if you must must must dress up the spelling of Abigail, how about Abigayle.  Or maybe Abbygail. 

Seriously.  Just stop.  Think of all the teachers and camp counselors and neighbor parents and classmates trying to spell that silly spelling you came up with.  Just.  stop.  and think!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.