Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1924385 times)

Mister E

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18525 on: June 23, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »
Is anybody watching Food Network Star? The woman eliminated on tonight's episode was named Aryen. But whenever somebody said her name it sounded to me like they were saying the word Orion. ??? Or maybe I'm just hearing it wrong. Then there's another contestant still in the competition, who's also a woman named (and I'm not making this up!) Loreal, yes it's the same as the woman's hair coloring product. So we're naming children after brand name products now? Oh good, I think when I have a daughter I'm going to name her Pepsi! ;D ::)

Ed.

Jones

« Reply #18526 on: June 23, 2014, 09:22:49 AM »
Loreal is a real name, not terribly common but makes it in the US top 500 every so often.

I assume Aryen derives from Aryan / Aryana.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18527 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »
Doing family history work this week, I discovered I had a male ancestor with the first name Fountain. The brothers are John, Henry, Fountain, William, Robert... He was born in the 1850s.

Another family about the same time had a large number of kids, like 10 (actually not a record on my family tree), and they named the last one, a girl, Omega.  ;D So weird names are by no means a modern phenomenon.
~Lynn2000

scotcat60

« Reply #18528 on: June 23, 2014, 11:13:58 AM »
My two cousins are Peggy and Becky.  No nicknames, just their real names.

I was at school with a Peggy who was just Peggy and not Margaret. i have a cousin who is julie  and not any loger from of the name.  I know a Kate who is just Kate, and her daughter is Beth and not Elizabeth, and have a relative whose second name is Betty because her mother was Betty and not Elizabeth.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18529 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »
Lizzie Borden was christened 'Lizzie Andrew Borden'.   In later years she went by the name of Elizabeth but that wasn't her original name. 

magicdomino

« Reply #18530 on: June 23, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
Why would someone name her daughter Kharringtyn-McKhynleigh Khaybryn Sparks?

Gene Weingarten called and asked:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/a-real-khyuty-pye/2014/06/19/47dcff4c-ea65-11e3-b98c-72cef4a00499_story.html   As it so happens, the parents were out, so he talked to the grandmother, who didn't really know either.

GreenHall

« Reply #18531 on: June 23, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »
I just approved something at my job for an employee named 'Atari'.  Neither age nor gender is included so no clues there.

Edit: I did a quick google search. Results are for the gaming system, baby name sites, citing the gaming system, and baby name site with no definition for the name.  The word does have meaning in Japanese.  Nothing in the top results indicates that it is used as a people name in Japan or elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:53:44 PM by GreenHall »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18532 on: June 23, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
There are very few "nonsense" names of three syllables or less that aren't actual names in other languages, I'd bet.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

HGolightly

« Reply #18533 on: June 23, 2014, 03:24:26 PM »
My DD starts kindergarten in the fall and there are a few interesting spellings.  We went to her open house and the kids got to visit activity stations and participate.  A handful of kids could not spell their names possibly due to creative spelling.  When we named our kids, we gave them the professional name, stripper name and will they be able to ever spell it themselves test. 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18534 on: June 23, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
The most surprising (to me) nickname-as-name I've personally come across was a young woman of about 20, whose name was Jenny. Not Jennifer or anything else, just Jenny.

On the other hand, I know two boys called Jack who are actually John. With the popularity of Jack as a given name, starting with John seems to be much less common, and a lot of people are surprised when they discover Jack is actually John.
~Lynn2000

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #18535 on: June 23, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
As part of a business transaction, my husband and I have been receiving e-mails from someone named Tamarack. No clue whether this person is male or female. A Google search tells me that Tamarack is another name for the eastern larch, which makes it a bit of an oddity for a name choice.

It's really growing on me (no pun intended - promise!) Tamarisk is a related name and I like that one, also.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Mister E

« Reply #18536 on: June 23, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »
Lynn2000, I've known some young women named Jenny. My 2 sisters married 2 brothers and Jenny was their mother-in-law's name also. And I know a young man in his early 20s whose given name is Jack. So I don't think either of those names is really unusual.

Browsing the Internet last night I found a country singer by the name of Teea Goans (lovely voice by the way!). It's pronounced Tee-uh. The same as Tea or Tia. I'm not fond of the name anyways and I think that particular spelling is really strange. I've never seen it before.

Ed.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18537 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »
Ran across a new one today, in Reader's Digest of all places: Imij.    No, not a creative "Image", but "Jimi" spelled backwards.  Her parents were apparently big Jimi Hendricks fans.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ereine

« Reply #18538 on: June 24, 2014, 12:59:25 AM »
Browsing the Internet last night I found a country singer by the name of Teea Goans (lovely voice by the way!). It's pronounced Tee-uh. The same as Tea or Tia. I'm not fond of the name anyways and I think that particular spelling is really strange. I've never seen it before.

Ed.

I doubt that's the case here but Teea is a bit rare variation used in Finland that reflects the way it's usually pronounced here (I can't think of an English word with the sound, like the e in wet but longer). Similar names are Pia/Piia, Tia/Tiia, Nea/Neea and Mia/Miia.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #18539 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:34 AM »
The Jack I know best is actually named John. He goes by Jack all the time. So if someone calls him John, he/she is reading a legal document. He is a very chill guy.

I did know a Jenny once who was just plain Jenny.

Anyhow, today's weird name entry is Virjavia. No matter how much I searched, I could not find a basis for it.
I have pet mice!