Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1919725 times)

pwv

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18540 on: June 24, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »
I had to pick up a prescription today.  The pharmacist on duty was named  Nike lastname.

knitwicca

« Reply #18541 on: June 24, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
The doctor in my hometown had a phlebotomist on staff.  The poor guy's name (legal first name) was Chuddy.  Not a nickname. Not a shortened version of anything. That was his name.

Same town....sheriff's deputy's first name was ST    not initials. No periods between. Just two consecutive letters in the alphabet.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #18542 on: June 24, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
I had to pick up a prescription today.  The pharmacist on duty was named  Nike lastname.

Nike, as far as I know, is the name of a town in Greece. It is a little weird with the shoe brand being so prevalent, though.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18543 on: June 24, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »

Nike, as far as I know, is the name of a town in Greece. It is a little weird with the shoe brand being so prevalent, though.
Nike is the Greek goddess of Victory. In Roman mythology, she's called Victoria.  :D
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #18544 on: June 24, 2014, 03:55:01 PM »

Nike is the Greek goddess of Victory. In Roman mythology, she's called Victoria.  :D

I knew it was something like that - I was having a brain blip.  :-[
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18545 on: June 24, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »

It's the name of the Greek winged goddess of victory, too.  Long before it was the name of a brand of running shoes...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mister E

« Reply #18546 on: June 25, 2014, 02:16:57 AM »
I'm friends with a couple who have 2 children. Their daughter's name is Jewel and the son's name is Simeon. I like Jewel but I don't think I'd use it for my daughter's name just personal preference. I think Simeon is a bit more unusual, it's a biblical name but it's never been that common/popular as far as I can tell so I think it's a bit unusual they picked that one. I don't care for it myself. They are really nice and cute kids though. :)

Ed.

Carotte

« Reply #18547 on: June 25, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »
Girls,   
1 > Leilanie 2 > Louloua 3 > Olta 4 > Keilla 5 > Aryana 6 > Benicia 7 > Chamina 8 > Malinka 9 > Marithe 10 > Mirane
Boys,    
1 > Taig 2 > Timai 3 > Senna 4 > Alanzo 5 > Eiji 6 > Royce 7 > Maoni 8 > Rezan 9 > Rouben 10 > Eneour

Those are the new and trending names on a french baby name site (I was looking for Alissandre which I heard today for the first time.).

Tea Drinker

« Reply #18548 on: June 25, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »
"New and trending" doesn't necessarily mean "popular," it can mean "here are some names you never heard before that at least one person has used this year" or "here are some names that we think are cool."

I saw a similarly startling list for U.S. names a few months ago, checked the Social Security Administration website for popular names, and found little or no overlap. Yes, I'm old enough that the list of currently popular names, especially for girls, doesn't have much in common with the names of my long-ago classmates--though it has my grandmother's and great-aunt's given names--but there's a difference between "Where did that name come from?" or even "I don't know any Jaydens" and "I never heard of those names before."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18549 on: June 27, 2014, 10:51:06 AM »
Interestingly I have several women named Jewel on my family tree, people who were born in the early 1900's or so. I know there was an early vogue for gem names, but their siblings will be Mary, James, William, Elizabeth, etc. per usual. It's almost like these big families decided they would have one kid with a "different" name, and give all the others common names.
~Lynn2000

Bethczar

« Reply #18550 on: June 27, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
Lizzie Borden was christened 'Lizzie Andrew Borden'.   In later years she went by the name of Elizabeth but that wasn't her original name.
Actually, she went by Lizbeth later in life, not Elizabeth. It's on her tombstone.

I am happy to be a Beth-not-Elizabeth, although some people can't get their heads around it.

Mister E

« Reply #18551 on: June 28, 2014, 03:33:33 AM »
I saw a male actor on a talk show last night whose first name was Romany. ??? What? I've never seen that as a name for a man or a woman. Roman, yes which I don't care for at all (a cousin's son named a son Roman) but I've never seen Romany before. I don't care for it either.

Ed.

menley

« Reply #18552 on: June 28, 2014, 04:17:35 AM »
A friend posted a picture on Facebook with her niece, "Briley". I'd never heard of it before but apparently it's of Irish origin? Something about it makes me think of household cleaners instead of a baby girl, though!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18553 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
Seen yesterday - Alloyd.  I thought maybe the insurance company had accidentally created that from an A. Lloyd, but no, his driver's license also says Alloyd. 

creativecat

« Reply #18554 on: June 28, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
I know a couple from college who named their kid Drian. To this day, I have no idea how it is pronounced... (Dree-an or Dry-an?). It's a boy.

A different friend, a close friend, had 4 boys. All of them have names from the Bible. The youngest is named Asher. I think it's a cool name, but while she was pregnant a friend of theirs made fun of it by calling the unborn child "ash tray".