Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1917258 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18555 on: June 28, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »

I know a couple from college who named their kid Drian. ...

Wanna' bet he gets called Draino?

Allyson

« Reply #18556 on: June 28, 2014, 11:24:50 PM »

A different friend, a close friend, had 4 boys. All of them have names from the Bible. The youngest is named Asher. I think it's a cool name, but while she was pregnant a friend of theirs made fun of it by calling the unborn child "ash tray".

That's just silly, I think, and no reason not to use the name. "Ash tray" has as much similarity to the very common Ashley and Ashton, after all...most names have a syllable where one could use it mockingly.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18557 on: June 29, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »

A different friend, a close friend, had 4 boys. All of them have names from the Bible. The youngest is named Asher. I think it's a cool name, but while she was pregnant a friend of theirs made fun of it by calling the unborn child "ash tray".

That's just silly, I think, and no reason not to use the name. "Ash tray" has as much similarity to the very common Ashley and Ashton, after all...most names have a syllable where one could use it mockingly.
It is, however, why the Turkish name Ashkan is off the table for Simkin.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Mister E

« Reply #18558 on: June 29, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »
I was just reading a cute story about a little 2 year old girl from Florida somebody posted on Facebook. The girl's name is Za'Dariyah. ::) ??? I have no idea what that is!

Ed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:23:23 AM by Mister E »

Xandraea

« Reply #18559 on: June 30, 2014, 12:18:41 AM »
I was just reading a cute story about a little 4 year old girl from Florida somebody posted on Facebook. The girl's name is Za'Dariyah. ::) ??? I have no idea what that is!

Ed.

She's 2, her ticket was for $4. I'd guess her name is said,   zah  dar ee ah, emphasis on dar. It is a cute story :)

Mister E

« Reply #18560 on: June 30, 2014, 12:25:20 AM »
That's what I thought but nowadays who knows? And I'll never understand putting an apostrophe in somebody's name. It's ridiculous!

Ed.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18561 on: June 30, 2014, 01:47:42 AM »
That's what I thought but nowadays who knows? And I'll never understand putting an apostrophe in somebody's name. It's ridiculous!

Ed.

You are aware that the apostrophe is used in some languages, yes? Hawaiian (though properly it is called an 'okina and is actually an inverted apostrophe) and Arabic come to mind.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18562 on: June 30, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »
Albert-Mary

Margo

« Reply #18563 on: July 02, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
There was a picture in our local paper recently.
Talullah and her sister Sequoia.

I can't help feeling that Sequoia could be a rather unfortunate name, particularly if she should happen to be heavyset at any time in her future.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18564 on: July 02, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »

I can't help feeling that Sequoia could be a rather unfortunate name, particularly if she should happen to be heavyset at any time in her future.

...  or very very tall.   :-\

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18565 on: July 02, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »
I went to school with a woman named Jeffrey-Ann and worked with a woman whose first name was Sweetie.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18566 on: July 02, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »
I went to school with a woman named Jeffrey-Ann and worked with a woman whose first name was Sweetie.

I was just about to post that I have heard the name Jeffrey used for women! Unless I already posted it before...? I can't remember.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18567 on: July 02, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
I also went to high school with a girl named Paisley. She would be in her 40s now.

Jones

« Reply #18568 on: July 02, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »

...  or very very tall.   :-\
I am guessing they were Native American? Tallulah is a Choctaw name and the inventor of the Cherokee alphabet was named Sequoya.
I personally know two Sequoias, one is a teen who has lived here all her life and the other a mid-60's woman who relocated a couple years ago. It didn't strike me as any more challenging than other nature names.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18569 on: July 02, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
I also went to high school with a girl named Paisley. She would be in her 40s now.
Ah, yes, one of the hippie-era names. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~