Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1977214 times)

Xandraea

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18570 on: July 03, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
Some local secondary school sisters are named Princess and Precious. I think it's a cultural thing.  Much better than Michael Jackson naming his sons "Prince Michael" and "Blanket".

poundcake

« Reply #18571 on: July 03, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
I went to school with a woman named Jeffrey-Ann and worked with a woman whose first name was Sweetie.

President Obama's mother was Stanley Ann. I've seen a few instances where a daughter is given her father's name as a first name and a traditionally female name as a middle name to go by, mostly in the 1950s.

I also went to high school with a girl named Paisley. She would be in her 40s now.

I have friends who have a Paisley as well. I'm not a fan of super kooky names, but I have to admit, in this case, it suits her. There's also Tuesday. (She was born on Sunday.)

Tallulah is a Choctaw name and the inventor of the Cherokee alphabet was named Sequoya.

That reminds me of one of my naming peeves: naming your daughter Cheyenne if you are not actually a Cheyenne. Even worse, spelling it "ChayAnne" or "Shaeann" or any of that nonsense. I knew a girl in grade school whose name was something like Cheyenne Eagleman, and yes, she was Native American. That was the point. It's not just a "pretty name" to appropriate.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18572 on: July 03, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
There was a picture in our local paper recently.
Talullah and her sister Sequoia.

I can't help feeling that Sequoia could be a rather unfortunate name, particularly if she should happen to be heavyset at any time in her future.

...  or very very tall.   :-\

But - the famous person named Sequoiah was male and developed a writing system for his tribal language.

Why do all these perfectly good names get gender-swapped when someone outside the original language group tries using it so that their child will have an uncommon name instead of getting lost in a group of "same names"?  What's wrong with checking to see if a particular name is for a male, a female, or is non-gender-specific before giving it to your little precious nameless baby?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

daen

« Reply #18573 on: July 03, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »

I can't help feeling that Sequoia could be a rather unfortunate name, particularly if she should happen to be heavyset at any time in her future.

But - the famous person named Sequoiah was male and developed a writing system for his tribal language.

Why do all these perfectly good names get gender-swapped when someone outside the original language group tries using it so that their child will have an uncommon name instead of getting lost in a group of "same names"?  What's wrong with checking to see if a particular name is for a male, a female, or is non-gender-specific before giving it to your little precious nameless baby?

Perhaps the parents weren't aware of the famous person, and chose a nice tree name that they thought sounded feminine. It seems that names ending in "a" or "ia" are more likely to be considered female names (in my experience, anyway).

And now I'm reminded of a line from Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert B Heinlein, where one of the character says "Names ending in -a suggest at least a D-cup." Urgh. Heinlein was a bit of a creep...

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #18574 on: July 03, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
Heinlein was quite a bit of a creep!  May be onto something with the quote though.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #18575 on: July 03, 2014, 01:20:33 PM »
Some local secondary school sisters are named Princess and Precious. I think it's a cultural thing.  Much better than Michael Jackson naming his sons "Prince Michael" and "Blanket".

'Blanket' is a nickname. His given name is Prince Michael II. That poor kid is going to be in therapy until he's thirty.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18576 on: July 03, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »

Perhaps the parents weren't aware of the famous person, and chose a nice tree name that they thought sounded feminine. It seems that names ending in "a" or "ia" are more likely to be considered female names (in my experience, anyway).

And now I'm reminded of a line from Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert B Heinlein, where one of the character says "Names ending in -a suggest at least a D-cup." Urgh. Heinlein was a bit of a creep...

He might have been a bit of a creep in some ways - but, man, could that dude write!

((sigh))  I still reread any number of his books - there are a few "classics" that I read and reread once in a while, just because I like them.  Granted, I don't reread them often (once a week or even once a year might be too often).  But Jane Eyre, Dune, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and a few other books (and authors) are just too good not to be read more than once in a lifetime. 

I like several other authors - who also have their creep tendencies.  Or just an eccentricity that drives me wild - puns are fun - but there is a chance that more than one pun per paragraph might add up to a great many puns in one chapter - much less one book.  What is funny in a one-off book can turn into something else entirely if that book spawns a series...that will not die.

Or the Mary Sue lead character starts to fall into bedroom activities at the least excuse without any of the bedroom activities doing anything to advance the plot or the character development.  Seriously, either admit that you're writing for another genre than "romance" or start editing the too-explicit details out so that the danged plot of the novel can advance.  Instead of using up your word count on diversions and having to come up with a three paragraph resolution of a five book buildup...that left me (and a few other readers, based on comments) looking at the end of the book and saying "but that's not  :o :-[ :-\ :'( right!"

Seriously, an evil from the dawn of mankind gets reduced to three paragraphs and just vanishes, no more worries since Mary Sue and her contingent have taken care of a million year old nightmare...like that?  (Yes, Laurell K. Hamilton, I am talking about how the Mother of All Vampires got reduced from the great evil to...well, I'm not going to spoil it - but that was just not the huge fight that you'd been telegraphing to your readers for books & books while getting more & more diverted into writing "extraneous sex & violence" (to quote an aphorism by James Bond's Q).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #18577 on: July 03, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
I went to school with a woman named Jeffrey-Ann and worked with a woman whose first name was Sweetie.

I was just about to post that I have heard the name Jeffrey used for women! Unless I already posted it before...? I can't remember.

I have, too.  One of the sergeants I bowled with lo these years ago was named Jefferey (this is how it was spelled), and she said she was always having to fix paperwork.  Everyone called her "Jeffy."  Also had a customer whose first name was Sweet Lelani. 

The most interesting one was the woman named Rodney.  When I met her she was in her 80s, and she was a hoot.  She told me there was some serious eyebrow-raising every time she had a baby, and every time she filled out military paperwork she'd write "female" after her name.  Not a bad idea, really.     

Margo

« Reply #18578 on: July 03, 2014, 03:08:25 PM »

I am guessing they were Native American? Tallulah is a Choctaw name and the inventor of the Cherokee alphabet was named Sequoya.
I personally know two Sequoias, one is a teen who has lived here all her life and the other a mid-60's woman who relocated a couple years ago. It didn't strike me as any more challenging than other nature names.

No. this was a local paper in the West Country, in the UK. They were both ash-blond, british/european, going by appearance.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #18579 on: July 03, 2014, 05:07:44 PM »
<snip>

Seriously, an evil from the dawn of mankind gets reduced to three paragraphs and just vanishes, no more worries since Mary Sue and her contingent have taken care of a million year old nightmare...like that?  (Yes, Laurell K. Hamilton, I am talking about how the Mother of All Vampires got reduced from the great evil to...well, I'm not going to spoil it - but that was just not the huge fight that you'd been telegraphing to your readers for books & books while getting more & more diverted into writing "extraneous sex & violence" (to quote an aphorism by James Bond's Q).

I've run into the opposite problem with another book. It was supposed to be a romance. It had everything but romance - the lead characters stopped speaking to each other when they were kids because of a feud. They didn't have any kind of a conversation again until the last two (short) pages of the book, and that was the hero asking the girl to marry him!! She's supposed to marry someone she hasn't been in touch with in fifteen years?? ???

It seems to be different in different countries. Male Russian nicknames sometimes end in 'a'. I kind of like the names Misha or Sasha, even for a boy.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18580 on: July 04, 2014, 12:04:03 AM »
Scans of the best south african names (taken from ID booklets)

http://www.thesouthafrican.com/popular-stories/best-south-african-names-courtesy-of-home-affairs.htm

My favourite: Killmequick

Explanatory notes:
Matric Examsion is supposed to be spelled Exemption, because a Matric Exemption is what you need to leave highschool with if you want to go to university here, guess his mother muddled up Exemption with Exam, which is what you write to get your Exemption.

The photo that goes with the name Thoko is obviously a mistake with the photo getting mixed up with someone else's ID booklet.

Voeltjie means Little Bird, but in conjunction with the first name sounds exactly like "[F-word] the little bird"

Pampoen is Afrikaans for pumpkin.

SundayTimes and Koerant are both names of newspapers here.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18581 on: July 16, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Unusual way to spell Kyle: Cuyle.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Betelnut

« Reply #18582 on: July 16, 2014, 12:20:01 PM »

I would never, never pronounce "Cuyle" like "Kyle" (unless told to do so)!

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Allyson

« Reply #18583 on: July 16, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »
When I went to high school there was a run on "Siobhan" as a name, but spelled in various ways, some close to the original, others phonetic...it's one of those where I would *never* assume the spelling. I think with some names it's kind of expected to have different spellings; Catherine, Katherine and Kathryn for instance.

Or, one little name change is generally not really difficult cause it's easily explained, "Mollie with an "ie" not a "y"", say. But I think it gets more difficult when the name is usually *only* spelled one name, and it's now got two or more changes to it, especially if they aren't phonetically intuitive. Like if someone says "Caitlin with an h" I'm going to have a hard time figuring out where they want that letter!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #18584 on: July 16, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »

I would never, never pronounce "Cuyle" like "Kyle" (unless told to do so)!

Hooked on Phonics clearly didn't work for her.