Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1947465 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18600 on: July 18, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »
Hannelore and Erling.  Both male, if I remember correctly.  Very striking names!

The only Hannelore I know is a comic character, who is female. I do like the name though.

IMissItaly

« Reply #18601 on: July 18, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
Today I ran across Alyvia, Brynley and Mickensy - all members of the same family.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18602 on: July 19, 2014, 01:19:11 AM »
Hannelore and Erling.  Both male, if I remember correctly.  Very striking names!

Hannelore is German and usually a girl's name.  Erling is a Nordic boy's name.  I like both, and I agree:  very striking!
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Addy

« Reply #18603 on: July 19, 2014, 05:08:05 AM »

Hannelore is German and usually a girl's name.  Erling is a Nordic boy's name.  I like both, and I agree:  very striking!

Ooh, I like Hannelore, it's similar to the increasingly popular Hannah, but different, and a little softer, IMO. I was never fond of the name Hannah, as I always think of the song, Hard-Hearted Hannah.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18604 on: July 19, 2014, 09:58:39 PM »
I was browsing Pinterest and saw a cute idea for a dress up corner. The comment on the pin was "need for Dafne's roon"

Dafne

It's the Spanish- and thus legitimate- form of Daphne.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18605 on: July 21, 2014, 01:40:06 AM »

Ooh, I like Hannelore, it's similar to the increasingly popular Hannah, but different, and a little softer, IMO. I was never fond of the name Hannah, as I always think of the song, Hard-Hearted Hannah.
There's an Afrikaans version of that name "Hannalee" which I quite like.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18606 on: July 21, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »

There's an Afrikaans version of that name "Hannalee" which I quite like.

Hannalee reminds me more of a magical place in the Puff the Magic Dragon song.
"Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honnah Lee .."
;-D

GreenHall

« Reply #18607 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
I actually had to google the lyrics to Puff the Magic Dragon this morning, because of the same thing...

crankycat

« Reply #18608 on: July 21, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »

My female allergist's name is Hannelore.

Army Mom

« Reply #18609 on: July 21, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »
A couple of hundred pages ago, I posted about Chloe who insisted it was pronounced "shy-low. I saw a legal notice in the local paper, she changed her name to Shiloh.
I've always liked the name Chloe but hey I guess she didn't!

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18610 on: July 22, 2014, 07:47:50 AM »
A couple of hundred pages ago, I posted about Chloe who insisted it was pronounced "shy-low. I saw a legal notice in the local paper, she changed her name to Shiloh.

It took a great deal of squinting to get 'shy-low' from Chloe!
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Army Mom

« Reply #18611 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »

It took a great deal of squinting to get 'shy-low' from Chloe!

I know! But she would correct you if you said Chloe

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18612 on: July 22, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »
We had a student named Chervantes.  At first I thought her parents had misspelled the author of Don Quixote - you know Cervantes.  Nope.  Her name is pronounced Shah-VON-tay.  Ooooookay.

We had another student whose first name was Truly.  Her last name?  Chance.  I wish I was making that up.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #18613 on: July 25, 2014, 07:37:28 PM »
We had another student whose first name was Truly.  Her last name?  Chance.  I wish I was making that up.

Heh...I just posted on FB last night that I received a little toad as a wildlife rehab case who'd arrived in a shipment from Florida. The destination of the shipment was the Truly Nolen company, which is a well known (in some areas of the US) pest-control company. The company was named after its founder.

The origin of the shipment was the Really Innovations company, which was founded by Really Nolen, Truly's brother.

There is a female family member named Sincere Leigh.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18614 on: July 28, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
More family tree work. I've noticed several female relatives named Clyde or Clide. Once or twice it might be an error, either in what their gender is marked down as or in the name being misheard/misspelled. Though what it would really be, I have no idea. But now that it's happened maybe five times with different people, I'm beginning to wonder if Clyde was actually considered a female name at one point.

I just checked "Behind the Name" and there was a low but steady trend of Clyde as a female name in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Apparently it originated from the River Clyde in Scotland, so maybe people thought of it as a nature name at first.

Another one: a guy born during the Civil War era, whose name was Lily. He appears on a census very clearly as male--married to a woman and listed as the son-in-law of the head of the house (he and his wife are living with her parents). And I looked at the original form and it sure does look like Lily, as opposed to something else rendered in bad handwriting. Behind the Name did not have anything about that ever being a male name. But, I've heard of it as a surname--like Evangeline Lilly--so maybe that was its origin.
~Lynn2000