Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1976940 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18660 on: August 26, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »
As an aside, my older sister is about to become a grandma for the first time.  I mentioned that no one ever names their children Cynthia anymore.  "And it's not going to happen this time, either, since they're having a boy," she told me.  Then she decided she ought to dig out her own Johnny Cash record of "A Boy Named Sue" and play it for her son and his wife.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18661 on: August 26, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
I found someone, a female, named Corbie in my family tree the other day. She was born in 1912 or so. It could be a nickname or a misspelling (Cordie, from Cordelia?). But, I thought it was interesting.
~Lynn2000

TeamBhakta

« Reply #18662 on: August 31, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
Met a really sweet 4 year old named Gladys. Mom and grandma were from Puerto Rico

Saw a little kid with a shirt that said "Mrs __'s Class" and was signed by her classmates. Lots of trendy and poorly spelled names on it, but the one that stood out said either PerSion or PerZion. I forget which spelling it was

Barney girl

« Reply #18663 on: September 04, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »
This one isn't a question of an odd name, but why one was so common.
I attended a college graduation ceremony yesterday and was astonished by the number of Daniels. In the group for the foundation degree in Sport Performance alone a third of the graduands were Daniels. I suppose they were all in their early twenties. Was there a famous Daniel twenty odd years ago?

fountainof

« Reply #18664 on: September 04, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
I have a friend name Katerina - she goes by Katrin. Maybe you could use that name?
That is a nice name, it would have worked with DD's first name too.  However, we did use Katharine instead (DD is 5 now), which is a solid common name.  We did take the spelling we chose as we have Polish last name and the K and the A (instead of Katherine or Catherine) went with the last name better.

lkb

« Reply #18665 on: September 04, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »
Klayre

turtleIScream

« Reply #18666 on: September 04, 2014, 05:51:18 PM »
Pair of siblings at the mall play area - Mercer (boy) & Memieke [mee meh keh] (girl) I have no idea how to spell her name, or even if I am doing the phonetic spelling correctly.  Maybe they were going for a variant form of Annamieke? The pronunciation threw me though.

Also saw a Graydon and Tucker. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things, but I am so over -aydon names.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #18667 on: September 04, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
I heard an interesting interview on the radio today.

It was based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDK6iYeU1aM
and was from the Canadian Association of Men with Women's Names.

Apparently, Canada has the greatest percentage per capita of men with women's names and it does cause personal and professional issues for them. I didn't realize that a support group had developed around the issue though!

AnnaJane

« Reply #18668 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:10 PM »
And just to show that strange names are nothing new, this evening I was reading an old manual on education, which used the work of a Professor Bompas Smith. Ouch.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18669 on: September 05, 2014, 02:08:13 AM »
And just to show that strange names are nothing new, this evening I was reading an old manual on education, which used the work of a Professor Bompas Smith. Ouch.

Google tells me that Bompas is a french surname.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Bompas

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Xandraea

« Reply #18670 on: September 05, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »

Apparently, Canada has the greatest percentage per capita of men with women's names and it does cause personal and professional issues for them. I didn't realize that a support group had developed around the issue though!

Except, many of those names were once male names, before being adopted as women's names.

Kelly (Variant of Ceallach, an Irish masculine name)

Tracy ("Charles Dickens used it for a male character in his novel 'The Pickwick Papers' (1837). It was later popularized as a feminine name by the main character Tracy Lord in the movie 'The Philadelphia Story' (1940)")

Ashley (Until the 1960s it was more commonly given to boys in the United States, but it is now most often used on girls.)

Jesse (Father of King David in the OT, also Jesse James, and athlete Jesse Owen) -- Jessie is a variant, also masculine as well as feminine.

Sandy (Originally a diminutive of Alexander. )

Kim (Scandinavian short form of Joachim; also, "The author Rudyard Kipling used it for the title hero of his novel 'Kim' (1901), though in this case it was short for Kimball." (a masculine name)

Laurie (a diminutive of Laurence)

Terry (from an English surname, also diminutive of Terrence)

Nicky (diminutive of Nicholas or Nicole - so m&f)

Leslie  ("It has been used as a given name since the 19th century. In America it was more common as a feminine name after the 1940s.")

Courtney ("As a feminine name in America, it first became popular during the 1970s.") << pretty recently feminine. I actually knew a man named Courtney. There's nothing feminine about him.

Stacey ("As a feminine name, it came into general use during the 1950s, though it had earlier been in use as a rare masculine name."

(All information in quotes from behindthename.com)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18671 on: September 05, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »
Also, a lot of Russian and other Slavic names/nicknames/diminutives end in "a" and so look feminine to Western eyes.  Misha, Sasha, Dasha, Ivanka, Petra.  I know a Michael who went by "Misha" as a child, to distinguish him from his father.  One set of grandparents just had a fit about "calling their grandson by a girl's name."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18672 on: September 08, 2014, 04:54:13 AM »

Except, many of those names were once male names, before being adopted as women's names.

Kelly (Variant of Ceallach, an Irish masculine name)

Tracy ("Charles Dickens used it for a male character in his novel 'The Pickwick Papers' (1837). It was later popularized as a feminine name by the main character Tracy Lord in the movie 'The Philadelphia Story' (1940)")

Ashley (Until the 1960s it was more commonly given to boys in the United States, but it is now most often used on girls.)

Jesse (Father of King David in the OT, also Jesse James, and athlete Jesse Owen) -- Jessie is a variant, also masculine as well as feminine.

Sandy (Originally a diminutive of Alexander. )

Kim (Scandinavian short form of Joachim; also, "The author Rudyard Kipling used it for the title hero of his novel 'Kim' (1901), though in this case it was short for Kimball." (a masculine name)

Laurie (a diminutive of Laurence)

Terry (from an English surname, also diminutive of Terrence)

Nicky (diminutive of Nicholas or Nicole - so m&f)

Leslie  ("It has been used as a given name since the 19th century. In America it was more common as a feminine name after the 1940s.")

Courtney ("As a feminine name in America, it first became popular during the 1970s.") << pretty recently feminine. I actually knew a man named Courtney. There's nothing feminine about him.

Stacey ("As a feminine name, it came into general use during the 1950s, though it had earlier been in use as a rare masculine name."

(All information in quotes from behindthename.com)
Also Lyndsey (funnily enough, I know personally two young male Lyndseys and no female ones).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Mal

« Reply #18673 on: September 08, 2014, 07:52:22 AM »
I met a female Nathanael today. Does anybody know if that's a common female name in France?

fountainof

« Reply #18674 on: September 08, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
Historically, at least in my area, you would have different spellings for male and female versions of the same name.  For example Tracy was male and Tracey was female, Kelly was male and Kelley was female.  I only know Leslie spelling as female but Lesley I do know men with that name.  Courtney is a different one as ney is the only spelling I know but I did once know a man with the name and he went by Court which is a decent guy's name.

My business partner was called Sandy as a child for his name Alexander but is now Alex. 

Laurie is the only one where I only know of as a man's name through books.  The rest of the names I have known in my lifetime men and women with the names.  I was a kid in the 80s/90s so I knew lots of boy Kellys, Ashleys, Tracys as those were common names then for both boys and girls.

My name is Kimberly and I didn't know of any male Kims until I was an adult, it was more common for a male name in the 50/60s.