News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 21, 2017, 01:56:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 3777446 times)

Nuku

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #21405 on: September 15, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »
Koen (pronounced like the last bit of raccoon) is a Dutch name. It means brave.

A little boy at my church is named Coen O'Rion Lastname. The O'Rion is also his father's middle name, no idea where his father's parents got that name.

If I were to take a guess, I'd think maybe that O'Rion was the father's mother's maiden name.

Or the famous hunter/constellation, Orion, changed with the apostrophe to look more Celtic?

More Celtic than Greek, you mean?  ;)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #21406 on: September 15, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »

A little boy at my church is named Coen O'Rion Lastname. The O'Rion is also his father's middle name, no idea where his father's parents got that name.

If I were to take a guess, I'd think maybe that O'Rion was the father's mother's maiden name.

Or the famous hunter/constellation, Orion, changed with the apostrophe to look more Celtic?

Yeah...but I wonder if O'Rion was "also" supposed to mean "mighty hunter" - guess we'd have to find a member of an older generation to ask where & when the name got added to the list of  fffaaammmiiillleee names.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

gramma dishes

« Reply #21407 on: September 15, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »

Oh!  I like your idea better!

SheltieMom

« Reply #21408 on: September 15, 2017, 09:28:06 PM »

Oh!  I like your idea better!
That's just too close to Conan O'Brien for my taste.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #21409 on: September 16, 2017, 05:19:40 PM »
I was researching a turn-of-the-20th-Century personage. I kept getting hits on Ancestry that had to be pranks. Nope, they weren't. You see, the man's father was Remus Upton Gay. When you combine his initials with his last name…
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:33:58 PM by nutraxfornerves »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

BeagleMommy

« Reply #21410 on: September 20, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »
We have a new student named Demara'.  Not sure what the random apostrophe is meant to do.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #21411 on: September 20, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Father is named Jerry, so the kids are Jerome and Jervana.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

BeagleMommy

« Reply #21412 on: September 20, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
Father is named Jerry, so the kids are Jerome and Jervana.

Jervana?!!!  Sounds like an ointment for psoriasis.

Catananche

« Reply #21413 on: September 20, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »
Cousins:  Splinther and Allaert-Splinther.

And there is a problem when you have a unique name: Google will find you. Quickly. I wanted to know where the name came from, what it meant and if it was an old name brought back to life. I didn't find any explanation about the name, but I did find quite a lot of information about the family.
While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, thousands of pixels were inconvenienced

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #21414 on: September 20, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »

Isn't O'Ryan an Irish surname?

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #21415 on: September 25, 2017, 05:01:13 PM »
Today I had

Keiarra
Cresence
Bricen

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #21416 on: September 26, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
Cyan
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

GreenHall

« Reply #21417 on: September 26, 2017, 11:28:27 AM »
Cyan
Hopefully siblings aren't Magenta and Yellow.  Magenta would get Rocky Horror jokes all the time and Yellow is just a little off normal for names.

For something unique but still familiar enough to pronounce and spell...we've seen worse here...

parrot_girl

« Reply #21418 on: September 27, 2017, 04:14:56 AM »
Seen on the window of a classroom at the local primary school:

Fluttershy

Not a bad name, per se, but I'm kind of hoping it's the name of the class rabbit, rather than a child...

gramma dishes

« Reply #21419 on: September 27, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »
Seen on the window of a classroom at the local primary school:

Fluttershy

Not a bad name, per se, but I'm kind of hoping it's the name of the class rabbit, rather than a child...

It's the name of one of the female Pegasus ponies in the My Little Pony friendship series.