Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1636598 times)

extranormal

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2007, 10:12:34 PM »
Meet Aryan Justice.

Oh. Just, oh.

And poor little Aryan has more problems than just her name. What in the name of all that is proper is that baby wearing? She looks like the inside of a Kleenex box.

HelenB

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »
I used to babysit for a couple who named their kids "Seth" and "Dakota".  

And, of course, we lived in...Delaware.

No...we lived in South Dakota. Their mother wanted to name them after "the land". It could have been worse -- she could have named them "Box" and "Elder", after our little wide-spot-in-the-road town.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2007, 10:19:46 PM »
Meet Aryan Justice.

http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals/mmc1/public/mmc1birthannouncement.pl?babyID=h1-4161

Oh goodness. Oh, I hope she doesn't have to attend inner city schools. Or spend time in prison.

I notice that the site proclaims, rather defensively, that Aryan is a good name.... It means "holy" in French.

I presume that's Old French. REALLY Old French.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

hollasa

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2007, 10:26:52 PM »
I'm surprised that I haven't seen a link to Baby's Named a Bad, Bad, Thing

would have been post #3, if I hadn't been called away before I could check that hitting the Post button actually worked...

kitten999101

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2007, 10:35:44 PM »
There's an old Saturday Night Live sketch about this. Nic Cage's character gets a package and the delivery guy says he has something for A$$wipe (and pronounces it accordingly). Cage gets indignant and points out huffily that his name is pronounced Ahz-WEE-pay.

Ahz-wee-pay has been in my lexicon ever since.

CRUD MONKEYS! I was just thinking of that skit! Was hilarious...thought it does prove a good point, Really think out the names before naming the baby!

Meet Aryan Justice.

ooooh....Maybe they were just looking at different names and the meanings of those names and didn't make the connection? I hope for her sake no one else does  :-[

WildChild@Heart

• Someday my trees will be this big too!
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2007, 10:42:53 PM »
Gads, I hate it when people try to be "clever" with a childs name. Hello, these kids have to live with that name their entire life. Coming up with some ridiculous spelling or just making something up and calling it a "name" is so thoughtless. A decage ago I worked for an ambulance company and saw this all the time. A little boy named "Samaj Ekim" ( James Mike spelled backwards) The little girl "Champagnique Diamondtella". Or the twins Crystal Blue And Sky Blue Poole
“Don't outsmart your common sense."

Psykogrl

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »
lol this thread made me think of some good ones my mother told me about... She worked at a social assistance office as a supervisor and some of the names she came across....

One girl was named Smurfette Azriel... Mom must have really liked the Smurfs

Then there was Female'.... pronounced Fee-ma-le... The parents thought the hospital just named the baby for you... So the "Female Lastname" placeholder became her real name  ::)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »
Re: the original post. That poor girl will have all the kids at school going "AHHH, you're so NASTY, Lynn!"

I agree with the poster who said that government intervention wouldn't go astray.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2007, 11:02:15 PM »
Gads, I hate it when people try to be "clever" with a childs name. Hello, these kids have to live with that name their entire life. Coming up with some ridiculous spelling or just making something up and calling it a "name" is so thoughtless. A decage ago I worked for an ambulance company and saw this all the time. A little boy named "Samaj Ekim" ( James Mike spelled backwards) The little girl "Champagnique Diamondtella". Or the twins Crystal Blue And Sky Blue Poole

I must admit, here, that one reason we named my daughter Rose is because the word "Thorn" is in our last name... We're bad, I know. Rose Mary, actually. And Abby's middle name is Sage. I was trying to convince my husband to let me name Joseph "Justin Thyme" but he shot down that idea. I was only half serious anyway. ;)
Utah

TZ

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2007, 11:03:57 PM »
Well, I can go to bed happy in the knowledge that at least two other people besides my sister and me remember the Ahz-wee-pay sketch.  Also, Michal, is, in fact, a girl's name.  It's from the Old Testament- Michal was King Saul's daughter; she married David.  Count me among those who thought the name was Ah Nasty.  Why do people do this to their children?  I think a lot of them are deluded and truly think that others will be impressed.

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »
In at least one country, Sweden I think, the government has the ability to veto the name.  I am normally pretty much against government interference, but I think in this case it might be necessary.  They just vetoed a couple who wanted to name their daughter Metallica.

Then there is the other extreme.  My parents thought they were giving me a relatively unusual name.  It ended up being the most popular name of my year.  My brother's last two girlfriends have had the same first name.  There were 3 other girls in my kindergarten class with the same first name.   :P

Germany and, I think, Austria also have rules about what you can and cannot name your child.

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

Redhead

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2007, 11:31:43 PM »
I really feel for those kids. 

I have what was an uncommon name in my childhood.  Its a "real" name with no unusual spelling but it was just not widely used at the time I was born, although I have seen a few more with it of late.  Add that to an uncommon surname with a French pronunciation and you get to be very good at ignoring the idiots of the world (and you learn to spell your own name very fast  :)  ).  And as I said, mine was no where near the outlandish stuff inflicted on some of these poor kids mentioned in the thread.

hellgirl

• Procrastinator-extraordinaire!
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2007, 11:49:02 PM »
However, in a few cases, I heard girls named names that are almost strictly male like Michael which I think is a pretty cruel thing to do to a child

We are naming this little girl, Miichael.  Sorry, but we don't think we're being cruel.  LOL  Mr. H had a dear friend (female) in school named Michael and he always loved it.  I personally have known at least 3 girls named Michael and they all loved their name. 

Keep in mind that some names we consider feminine now a days--started out as male names.  Tracey, Shannon, Ashley, Francis, etc....   ;)

As for the NZ article...I wonder what they would think of Mr. H and I.  We both have very unusual names (definitely not traditional)--Mr. H has only met one other person with his name and I have only met two other people with my name.  We both hold graduate degrees and Mr. H is working on his PhD.  Our names have not counted against us in the school system.  Hmmmmm...intriguing. 

I understood the article, like most research, to be talking about the effect 'in general', not that it would apply to every single person with an unusual name  :)

While I am also fond of Michael as a girls name, I have to ask. Are you going to spell it with 2 i's, or was that a typo? If you are going for the unusual spelling, may I ask why? If I may... then why?

The examples of people who have had that name, and inspired your choice, seem to have had the more common spelling, so I'm intrigued.

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2007, 11:51:26 PM »
Meet Aryan Justice.

http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals/mmc1/public/mmc1birthannouncement.pl?babyID=h1-4161

Oh goodness. Oh, I hope she doesn't have to attend inner city schools. Or spend time in prison.

I notice that the site proclaims, rather defensively, that Aryan is a good name.... It means "holy" in French.

I presume that's Old French. REALLY Old French.

I found the name on a website that says that it is a boy's name and give the following:

Origin: Latin
Meaning: From Hadria

Origin: Sanskrit
Meaning:Noble one

The second origin and meaning is the one that seems right to me, after all that's where the whole concept comes from originally (before it got appropriated of course.) I rather doubt it is at all French.

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2007, 11:57:40 PM »

There's a girl at my church (she's 11) named Michal. Her parents are both incredibly smart and sophisticated people, so I'm not sure why they gave her a "boy" name, but it works for them, so whatever. :)

Michal is a Hebrew name.