Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1874135 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2007, 11:59:48 PM »
On or about 1990 when I was working for an African American ad agency, Essence magazine ran an article on this very issue.  The author basically blasted parents who give their children bizarre names for the sake of being unusual.  When the names were pseudo-African or the weirdest alternative spelling, she was adamant that parents not give children names the kids couldn't spell or that their grandparents can't pronounce.

wendelenn

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2007, 12:11:18 AM »
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Until I see actual birth certificates or meet an Oranjello in person, I'm not buying that anyone in real life actually ever really named their kids these names.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2007, 12:29:02 AM »
My best friend named her daughter Nevaeh (Veah for short) and her other daughter is Skyler.

While reading livejournal awhile back, I came across the journal of a woman that had recently given birth. She named her daughter Random Marie. Yes, the first name was "Random" and to this day, it still baffles me. I understand wanting to be unique... But don't name your child something that will cause them to be teased constantly!

Someone I know named her son London, which isn't so bad... I find it amusing mainly because the father is British.

Someone I went to church with while growing up, dated a girl named Irish... and she had a traditionally Irish last name to go with it.

Oh, and one of my friends named his cat Onix Shi'thead LastName... because his cat was a little sh!thead!

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

hellgirl

• Procrastinator-extraordinaire!
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2007, 12:54:16 AM »
We thought about just plain Michael...and also about Michal...and then about Mychal...and Mychael...and, and, and.  Then one day I was playing around and I typed in Miichael--and it just clicked.  I don't know why.  So I showed it to Mr. H and he got this amazed look on his face and said, "that's it!  That's how it should be spelled!"  So here we are...with a Miichael--with two i's.  LOL

I'm not a fan of really creative spelling (which is why we were having trouble with the name--I didn't like all the y's) so I don't know why this spelling clicked for both of us. 

I'm still confused. You're not a fan of creative spelling. So why not keep the original spelling (which is unusual enough, considering it is typically a boy's name?). Why go to the trouble of looking for an unusual spelling just for the sake of it?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2007, 01:17:59 AM »
While I am also fond of Michael as a girls name, I have to ask. Are you going to spell it with 2 i's, or was that a typo? If you are going for the unusual spelling, may I ask why? If I may... then why?

The examples of people who have had that name, and inspired your choice, seem to have had the more common spelling, so I'm intrigued.

The two "i's" were not a typo...I wondered if anyone would notice.  LOL

We thought about just plain Michael...and also about Michal...and then about Mychal...and Mychael...and, and, and.  Then one day I was playing around and I typed in Miichael--and it just clicked.  I don't know why.  So I showed it to Mr. H and he got this amazed look on his face and said, "that's it!  That's how it should be spelled!"  So here we are...with a Miichael--with two i's.  LOL

I'm not a fan of really creative spelling (which is why we were having trouble with the name--I didn't like all the y's) so I don't know why this spelling clicked for both of us. 

I know.  Weird.  LOL

I just hope the teacher doesn't think she has two illiterate, low class parents.   ;)

Oops...I want to add one more thing here that pertains to the rest of the thread, not just my spelling fancies.  Children will make fun of any name--traditional or otherwise--they don't care.  I have a friend named Carol (which used to be a boys name, by the way) and you wouldn't believe what the teasers came up with for her.    Same with my friends: Robert, Shawn, Lisa, Lori, Bruce, etc.  So if you think you're going to save your child being teased about their names by giving them a traditional name...you aren't.  Children can be very cruel.  Sure...an unusual name makes it easier, but if they want to hurt someone--a name like Susan isn't going to stop them.

There's still the actress Michael Learned - she played the mother Olivia Walton in  The Waltons TV series during the 1970s and on the credits she was always shown as "Miss Michael Learned" - perhaps they wanted everyone to know that it wasn't a cross-dressing guy?

wendelenn

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2007, 01:41:46 AM »

I'm still confused. You're not a fan of creative spelling. So why not keep the original spelling (which is unusual enough, considering it is typically a boy's name?). Why go to the trouble of looking for an unusual spelling just for the sake of it?

I hate to say it, but I agree.  The poor girl is going to go through life with the whole world thinking she doesn't know how to spell her own name.  I have no problem with Michael or even Michal or Mychal as a girl's name--Miichael just looks too much like a typo for me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:43:33 AM by wendelenn »
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

CelticGemini

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2007, 02:29:54 AM »
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Until I see actual birth certificates or meet an Oranjello in person, I'm not buying that anyone in real life actually ever really named their kids these names.

I was at work the day the twins came in--the attorney I worked with simply could not believe it (and seeing as how she had no sense of humor, I rather think she wasn't lying/kidding about this.)  ;D I also saw the court documents. It may have started as an urban legend, but yes, people really DO that.  ::)

Rach

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2007, 02:56:30 AM »
There's an old Saturday Night Live sketch about this. Nic Cage's character gets a package and the delivery guy says he has something for A$$wipe (and pronounces it accordingly). Cage gets indignant and points out huffily that his name is pronounced Ahz-WEE-pay.

Ahz-wee-pay has been in my lexicon ever since.

Oh my goodness! Goodness gracious me! I was just thinking of that skit! Was hilarious...thought it does prove a good point, Really think out the names before naming the baby!

Meet Aryan Justice.

ooooh....Maybe they were just looking at different names and the meanings of those names and didn't make the connection? I hope for her sake no one else does  :-[

I don't understand, would some one explain

ETA Ohhhhh... I was thinking Arry anne not Air ianne
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:02:00 AM by Rach »

baq17

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2007, 02:59:53 AM »
While I am also fond of Michael as a girls name, I have to ask. Are you going to spell it with 2 i's, or was that a typo? If you are going for the unusual spelling, may I ask why? If I may... then why?

The examples of people who have had that name, and inspired your choice, seem to have had the more common spelling, so I'm intrigued.

The two "i's" were not a typo...I wondered if anyone would notice.  LOL

I know.  Weird.  LOL

I just hope the teacher doesn't think she has two illiterate, low class parents.   ;)

Okay, I have one of these intentionally misspelled names-in a remarkably similar way, actually.  Let me tell you, that is exactly what almost everyone thinks.  Every teacher I've ever had has asked me if my parents misspelled my name by accident.  Every friend, every admin person, everyone.  

You should really not do this.  I have spent hours at the DMV, and even more time in corporate HR offices because new job called old job for a reference, someone didn't notice the odd spelling, and new job was told that "no one by that name ever worked here," because I didn't come up on the computer.  My high school transcripts didn't get matched up with my application when I applied to college.  Medical offices can never find my paperwork.  I have had to get reissued passports twice.  The insurance company, the gas company, the bank-I log more hours on hold getting this fixed than anyone I know (and that isn't a figure of speech).  As a little kid, every award I got had my name written in fancy calligraphy, and a second letter squished in with a Bic pen at the last minute, if anyone noticed at all.

It is not because my name is unusual, but because the spelling, like yours, looks like a typo.  You can mention it and spell it out, and it will still get entered wrong.  If you have an unusual name, people will take note but even you assumed in your original post that people might not notice the "ii."  

My parents took what could have been a perfectly nice name, and made it a life-long pain.  If it was unusual because it was ethnic or familial or tradition, I might have a reason to be proud, but it is just misspelled.  I consider it a total lapse of judgement on their part.  After a few years of seeing how much trouble it is, they agreed.  Actually, for my birthday this year, they are paying the fees for me to legally change it to the correct spelling.

I can't tell from your second post if the child has already been named, but I highly recommend that you reconsider if it hasn't.  I know this was blunt, but I'm not sure you've considered how much trouble this is going to cause.  You add the "LOL"s to your post, but are you still going to think it's funny, when you explain for the gazillionth time that it's "ii" and then, have to listen to questions about who misspelled it, you or the hospital-and even after all that, the person still spells it wrong?

Go with the "y" version, if you must, but is an odd spelling really that important?  Even you admit to not liking them.  Michael still wouldn't be that common for a girl, so you'll have your unusual-factor that way.  Don't you think that it would be nicer for your child to be able to say, "my name is Michael," and generally have is spelled right, as opposed to my usual conversation, which takes at least five times as long and ends with my name misspelled anyway.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2007, 03:13:04 AM »
We just did a search on name popularity the other night. My BF's name is Michael and it was ranked something like #4, but what surprised me because I had never heard of it, Michael also ranked under girls names.

Whereas, my name, Marcia, does not. I thought that was weird because no one ever questions Marcia (except the spelling thing, yes, it is pronounced the same way you would say Patricia. Pain in the behind wherever I go.)

And to add clarification about the Freakonomics book. It actually goes on to say the economic & education levels of parents who actually name their children oh, let's say "Tia Juana", has more to do with the child's poor prospects than the actual name.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2007, 03:33:56 AM »

I hate to say it, but I agree.  The poor girl is going to go through life with the whole world thinking she doesn't know how to spell her own name.  I have no problem with Michael or even Michal or Mychal as a girl's name--Miichael just looks too much like a typo for me.

Add me to the list of "I agree". It won't seem so cute or amusing after you or your daughter says, for the 1000th time "That's Miichael with TWO i's". The amount of aggravation, annoyance, and mistakes your daughter will encounter (and believe me, she will!) simply isn't worth it.

I am female, but my name is very similar to a boy's name. (Remove one letter and it is a boy's name). The amount of times I've been listed on forms as a male is unbelievable. When I was a child I once won an art competition and it was written up in the local paper. The paper (having seen my name) misspelt it, in the male form, and the article ran something like "(Heartstar) drew a fantastic picture, and the judges decided to award him the prize due to his attention to detail. He will win a bike helmet for his efforts."

At the time it was highly embarrassing, since everyone knew it was me, and rather than congratulate me, would say "hahaha, we didn't realise you were a BOY!"

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2007, 03:42:13 AM »
I knew a girl who named her baby boy Semaj. I asked what it meant, she said "nothing, its his daddy's name backwards. He's not good enough to have the baby named after him properly" Daddy's name was James. And yes, she did it. Semaj is now 3.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2007, 04:59:13 AM »

I can see three problems with a girl named Miichael

1) The name will always be spelled wrong.  Every time she enters a new class, or has an entry at the doctor's office, or joins a club, or whatever, some helpful person will assume it's a typo and correct it to Michael.  Her records will never come up the first time, because when you say "Michael with 2 i's" they'll think Michaeil or something like that.

2) In the rare event the spelling is maintained, people are going to mangle the spelling to Mie-ie-cul or May-i-cul instead of Michael, under the assumption that the the ii means something phonetically

3) Whether or not the name is spelled correctly, the child will tend to be put into the boys group in any sex-segregated situation, as Michael is overwhelmingly a girl's name.

So the poor child is going to go through life with her named spelled wrong, pronounced wrong, and everyone meeting her for the first time saying "Oh, I though you were a boy".

---

I actually think that taking a common name and giving it a weird spelling is a much worse thing to do to a child than making a completely unfamiliar name. With something totally new, at least people will stop and think first.  With a badly spelled common name, they are still going to have to put up with meeting lots of people with the same name, only theirs will never be spelled right.

In Chinese speaking countries students learning English will choose an English name. In more remote areas, or where the teacher and student have less contact with English culture, the choices for the English names can boil down to "an English word I liked the sound of". As a result, you can meet people named Pencil or Garbage, and so forth.  I have a male roommate named Bambi. His girlfriend is Tweetie.

Urbanfairy

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2007, 05:28:49 AM »
I went to University with a guy named Torquil wingadingdingy!!!
My Grandfather was called Lockhart Leonard Lockhart. (yes, his first and last names were the same)

I have a 'normal' name with an unusual spelling, and I curse the day that my parents thought it was 'cute'.
I am forever correcting the spelling of my name, and explaining that 'no, its not a typo, its how my name is spelt', 'No, I didn't change it when I was a teenager, its how my PARENTS wanted it spelt', 'No, its not pronounced differently, just because it is spelt differently'.

Please, parents... think about things like this before you do the 'Lets spell it differently for the Originality factor'

Meridian

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2007, 06:08:04 AM »
Gads, I hate it when people try to be "clever" with a childs name. Hello, these kids have to live with that name their entire life. Coming up with some ridiculous spelling or just making something up and calling it a "name" is so thoughtless. A decage ago I worked for an ambulance company and saw this all the time. A little boy named "Samaj Ekim" ( James Mike spelled backwards) The little girl "Champagnique Diamondtella". Or the twins Crystal Blue And Sky Blue Poole

I know 2 Semaj's ... one mom INSISTS that everyone pronounce it "Sim-yay".  The other is just called "Sah-maaj".  The first "sounds" very pretty, but either way, the spelling is so unappealing to look at.

I would have pronounced the name in the original post as Ahh-Nasty too.   ;D

Also, names can be prophetic.  I have a friend named "Lolita".  Now Lolita is a pretty name and all, but it PROMISE that ever since I've been knowing her, which has been well over 30 years, she has always been with a man much older than her!  I can still remember my mom saying when she first met her, "What a shame, she will probably have older guys chasing after her forever".  Not sure if she is the chaser or the chasee, but I've always wondered about that. 

Oh ... and I agree with the Miichael ... drop one of those i's, please. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:16:17 AM by Meridian »