Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1646100 times)

tickytack

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2007, 10:36:15 AM »
Kali is yet another common name.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »
Well, Kali was not a particularly common name until recently.

Now, Callie was not uncommon in earlier generations.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Amy Rose

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »
One more, then I'm done.

FH went to school with a girl named Gentle Summer Love.
I would like to inform you that diet Mtn Dew hurst, rather badly, when forced out the nose.

Seriously, who would do that to their child!

People whose last name is Love? Really, with a last name like Love, there's not much you can do.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2007, 10:41:40 AM »
Oh goodness. Oh, I hope she doesn't have to attend inner city schools. Or spend time in prison.

=====
You can find non-Aryans, or people who take issue w/ that name, in plenty of places besides inner-city schools and prisons.

edited to add:  my parents gave my brothers and I all Gaelic names, older brother's and my name are both pretty common, but little brother's was really uncommon in U.S. when we were growing up in the 80s, but now a lot of Irish-American people are naming their sons that.

I work in a prosecutor's office and I have seen the names of defendants w/ names of celebrities as the first & middle name.  Examples: Ahmad Rashad Smith, Billy Dee Williams Smith, Sammy Davis Junior Smith, Edward G. Robinson Smith.  (It wasn't all Smith, but just to show the names looked).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:47:48 AM by mm250 »

sweedetobee

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2007, 10:42:27 AM »
My name is a family name - spelled in the language of my ancestry. When I visit the "old country" everyone says my name correctly and my name isn't even that unique there. However, here in the USA, the way my name is spelled causes a lot of confusion in pronunciation. I'm used to correcting people and explaining that my name is spelled in a foreign language. Then everyone "gets it".

I am thankful that at least my name is a "real name" and that my mom didn't make it up. I really don't understand some of the names out there today.

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2007, 10:45:04 AM »
Oh yeah and I had a friend who dated a guy named Bruce Wayne Somethingorother... apparently he was premature and they were told he wouldn't survive. So they let his older brother name him. (He was 5) It was either Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne. So one day they saw Batman at the movies and this little kid asked his dad if Batman was real and the guy pulled out his driver's license and was like hey kid look... I'm Bruce Wayne... shhhhhh don't tell anyone...

tickytack

« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
There's an old Saturday Night Live sketch about this. Nic Cage's character gets a package and the delivery guy says he has something for A$$wipe (and pronounces it accordingly). Cage gets indignant and points out huffily that his name is pronounced Ahz-WEE-pay.

Ahz-wee-pay has been in my lexicon ever since.

I was going to post about that skit!  In the first part of it, they're trying to decide upon baby names and Nic Cage's character is taking the most standard of names and insisting how kids in the playground will taunt their child with his/her name.  For instance, if his wife suggested "Daniel" he'd say "Daniel?  DANIEL? - I can see it now: 'hey, Jack Daniels - your parents like their booze?"

It's a classic skit.   :)

sweedetobee

« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »
Her mother was born in the south, and was (at the time) reading challenged. 

Would just like to point your assumption that southerners are more likely to be illiterate. 

I read the post differently and didn't think of that assumption at all. She was stating a fact - the mother lived in the south, and the mother (at the time) was reading challenged. I don't see any sterotyping at all there, but obviously everyone reads the posts differently.

kajunchick

« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »
Okay, I had to add a few...when I was teaching I heard some odd names:

Pebbles Michelle

Megan Sharkea

Michelin (like the tire company)

Alsatia Star
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

beckygoesape

« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2007, 11:01:39 AM »
I had a somewhat difficult time convincing my best friend that Pandora wasn't a real great name for the child she was carrying.  She thought it beautiful because it was from mythology.  I told her the myth and she still thought it was an OK name.  Good thing her child was born a boy.  She named him Zachary.

My name is Becky...just Becky.  I get many of those official people renaming me Rebecca.  That's fine and dandy except my MIL is Rebecca Samelastname, who goes by Becky too.  We've had our records switched around because of this.  Now, for official paper work, I always add my middle name.  No one attempts to make Becky Lee into a Rebecca Lee...though they correct the spelling of Lee to Leigh even when I've told them the spelling.  Lee is for boys you see.

My middle son is named Alec.  I hadn't anticipated him always correcting people calling him Alex.  I thought Alec was common enough.

When I'd given birth to my third son, the attending nurse asked what we were going to name him.  I told her Ryan.  She asked how we were going to spell it.  I joked with her about the many ways you could mispell Ryan.  What's funny is that it was only later, when I was browsing the stork list online from my hospital, that baby boy Rhyunn was born only hours before mine.  No wonder she asked!

Becky

NEDESAPIO

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »
Gads, I hate it when people try to be "clever" with a childs name. Hello, these kids have to live with that name their entire life. Coming up with some ridiculous spelling or just making something up and calling it a "name" is so thoughtless. A decage ago I worked for an ambulance company and saw this all the time. A little boy named "Samaj Ekim" ( James Mike spelled backwards) The little girl "Champagnique Diamondtella". Or the twins Crystal Blue And Sky Blue Poole

POD.  It's always seemed to me some parents, particularly celebrities, name their kids something outrageous simply to rebel against their own more conservative parents.  (Does that sound weird?)

On the other hand, there are some rather unusual names I've always loved.  For girls, I've always liked the sound of "Felicia" and "Lila."  For boys I love the name "Simon," which you don't often encounter here in the U.S.; it's more common in England.  I've never known anyone named Simon.   

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »
I also graduated with a girl named Ryan. She is the most girly girl you can ever hope to meet.

A lady in my church has a little girl named Ryan. She also just had another little baby girl... and named her Cody. I'm not sure how she spells their names, though.
Utah

Mom2PBJ

• Thoughts from a Happy Hooker
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2007, 11:05:25 AM »
There is an attorney in my office named Equator.  Don't think she ran into anyone with the same name growing up.

kajunchick

« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2007, 11:06:54 AM »
I like some unusual names, too. I always liked Westley or Wesley for a boy, and Fiona for a girl, but since Shrek, I guess Fiona's out. I still may hold out for Wesley though!

Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

RoseRose

« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2007, 11:13:44 AM »
I like some unusual names, too. I always liked Westley or Wesley for a boy, and Fiona for a girl, but since Shrek, I guess Fiona's out. I still may hold out for Wesley though!

I'm a sophmore in college, and there was a guy in my high school graduating class names Wesley.  Decent guy.

As for the Phucs of the world, maybe they can turn it into making them student body presidents.  A guy in the class above mine has the last name of Wang, and in high school, he ran for student body president, with campaign slogans such as "Thrusting into the future", and won, quite clearly.  Also a decent guy.