Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2013923 times)

Browyn

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
And to think I got grief from some people for giving my son such an "old fashioned" (i.e. boring) name.

Henry

Of course at only 2 1/2 he refers to himself as Henby, but R's are hard. :-)

scooter2071

« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »
Friend of the family elected to name her daughter Molson Golden. The doctor refused to sign off on the paperwork to process the birth certificate until she chose a different name. See, the doc knew the family well and was certain this was going to become a big problem, and regretted by Mom. She picked a diffrent name.

DS is named Jack, middle initial L. While waiting for bloodwork at a lab, a nurse asked for Jack L. and one nurse says behind the counter "Who named their kid Jackal?!" My Mom and I had tears streaming down our faces thinking of my little boy Jackal! LOL

A girl my DH graduated with named her DD Cobra  :-\

scooter2071

« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2007, 11:23:49 AM »
And to think I got grief from some people for giving my son such an "old fashioned" (i.e. boring) name.

Henry

Of course at only 2 1/2 he refers to himself as Henby, but R's are hard. :-)

I love that name! My Mom picks on me because I like the old-fashioned names. She says my kids sound like they belong in the old folks home. I like Owen, Henry, Jack, Sophia, Jeanette...

ettacat

« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »
I was working in an insurance office and ran across a file of a B. Assalone.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
Try Latrina ( latrine - uh).

Pashuns (patience)

This one was on a wanted sign in our area - Lando Calrissian.

Not to mention the Takila/Tehkila and variations running around my building (taquila)

couchpotato

« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2007, 11:39:19 AM »
When I was pregnant, DH & I had 2 criteria for names:

#1. The name had to be common enough that our kids would be able to find their name on a magnet when we go on vacation (a problem I had growing up due to an unusual--but not totally unique--spelling).

#2 The name had to be unique enough that there wouldn't be 10 others with the same name in their class at school.

Although I was tempted to do a cute little matching name thing for Small Fry if he had been a girl. You see, the names Melissa (greek) and Deborah (hebrew) both mean "bee" and one of those names is Tater Tot's real name...so I considered the other as a girl name for Small Fry. That way, I'd get my giggle but the kids' name weirdness wouldn't be obvious. Probably just as well I had a boy--DH wasn't too wild about the other "bee" name.

veryfluffy

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2007, 11:55:44 AM »
For boys I love the name "Simon," which you don't often encounter here in the U.S.; it's more common in England.  I've never known anyone named Simon.   

Yes, in England Simon is a perfectly ordinary name -- I think particularly popular for boys born between 30 and 45 years ago. But I had a friend who was born in Canada to British parents. When he was born, and people asked what they were naming him, and they said "Simon", everyone thought this was an hysterical name, maybe even cruel -- the only mention they'd ever heard was in the rhyme "Simple Simon met a pie-man". Fortunately, the family moved back to England before he started school.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »
I've never known anyone named Simon.   

At one time in my life, I had THREE good friends named Simon.  It got confusing sometimes!

And they were all from England.

Kelso

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2007, 12:06:05 PM »
"spelled in an unusual way or including punctuation"

My parents decided to spell my name Kellie. The uncommon spelling appears on my birth certificate.

My 4.11 GPA only netted me the 11th slot in my graduating class, although my GPA was the highest one of our junior year. I graduated college in 3 years instead of 4, and now I'm working on an MBA.

Some of us "weird-spelling" people are smart. ;) To tell you the truth, I'm just glad they didn't name me what my real dad wanted to name me. Brie. Like the cheese.

Unfortunately, my niece's name is Harleigh. Named after her father's vintage motorcycle collection. Poor kid.

-Kels

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »
I've seen Kellie spelled that way lots of times.  Nothing weird about it.

Kelso

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »
Oooh, almost forgot. My husband has vetoed my idea to name twins (as if I can predict that we'll have them!) Kanga and Topanga. Kanga's middle name? Roux, of course. ;)

I know it's insane, but I still like it. :)

When I worked for a particular firm, we had clients whose last names were Massengill, and Assalone. Commonly heard in prison, as in "leave my..." I have no idea why they didn't just change them.

My pet peeve is people named William Williamson or John Johnson and the like. I figure their parents must have been lazy.

Of course, now that I admitted that in public, 14 of you are going to PM me telling me that your husband's or father's or brother's name was Jeff Jefferson.

-Kels

Mammavan

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2007, 12:28:32 PM »
A couple of stories:

My mom had a pregnant friend who mentioned to another friend that, if she had a boy, she planned to name him "Simon."  Friend, who was a nun, discouraged the choice, saying, "Even Jesus didn't like that name; he changed Simon's name to Peter!"

When aunt was pregnant, she chose the girl's name "Gail Mary."  Her mother said, "No, don't do that.  She'll constantly hear, 'Gail Mary, full of grace. . .' "  My cousin is named Linda Mary.

We have friends whose last name is Arthur.  Every time she was pregnant, he lobbied for the first name "King."

audrey1962

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »
My pet peeve is people named William Williamson or John Johnson and the like. I figure their parents must have been lazy.

Of course, now that I admitted that in public, 14 of you are going to PM me telling me that your husband's or father's or brother's name was Jeff Jefferson.

No, of course there are no Jeff Jeffersons! But I went to school with Joseph Joseph!  (sorry, couldn't resist)    :)

And for the record, he wasn't very happy with that name.

holliluyah

« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2007, 12:30:29 PM »
RE: John Johnson and the like:

I had a good friend in high school who was Robbie (not Robert) David Robertson, Junior.
So they did it twice.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »
RE: John Johnson and the like:

I had a good friend in high school who was Robbie (not Robert) David Robertson, Junior.
So they did it twice.

I knew a woman who married a John Johnson Jr (not his real name, but something along those lines) and her MIL was going to make her life a living hell if she didn't name her son John Johnson III. So they did, but they call him by his middle name.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.