Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1652195 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #780 on: May 19, 2007, 08:46:35 PM »
In Chinese speaking countries students learning English will choose an English name. In more remote areas, or where the teacher and student have less contact with English culture, the choices for the English names can boil down to "an English word I liked the sound of". As a result, you can meet people named Pencil or Garbage, and so forth.  I have a male roommate named Bambi. His girlfriend is Tweetie.

Actually, the fawn in the book/movie by that name was a "boy" and grew up to be "The Prince of the Forest".  Not that you'd know that from the number of "entertainment workers" using that name.............or little girls whose mothers apparently liked the movie but missed out that Bambi was a boy.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #781 on: May 19, 2007, 08:51:55 PM »
I think letting kids wear t-shirts with their names on is a bit silly. people can come up to them and say they know them. A few years ago it was a craze to have little girls name put on an alice band (any name,while u wait) and my neice was upset I wouldnt get her one

A good friend of ours has done lots of research on child safety, and having a name on a tshirt, bag, or accessory is not going to make any difference.  There are dozens of ways to find out a child's name (Friends calling them is one that jumps to mind) and most children will tell you their name with very little prompting.  My boys will run right up to anyone and say I'm Thing 1, this is my brother Thing 2, and that's my Mommy Mischief and my Daddy Mayhem right there.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #782 on: May 19, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »
I think letting kids wear t-shirts with their names on is a bit silly. people can come up to them and say they know them. A few years ago it was a craze to have little girls name put on an alice band (any name,while u wait) and my neice was upset I wouldnt get her one

Are you referring to the baseball jerseys I was writing about in my previous post?  It's tradition to have one's name on the back of their baseball shirt.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #783 on: May 19, 2007, 09:51:36 PM »
I know all my crossing guard kid's names because they have them written in marker on their backpacks...smart, huh? ???

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #784 on: May 19, 2007, 10:14:18 PM »
Muffin's a perfectly nice name.  For a cat.

Thank you - I will let my Muffin know that

My three purrbabies are Cyber Dot Com - Muffin and Mert

Reality is for people who lack Imagination

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #785 on: May 19, 2007, 11:56:58 PM »
Lori Lemaris was one of Superman's early loves - she turned out to be a mermaid from Atlantis...........

I knew a Leslie with seven older brothers - they were LDS and the boys all had Bible names.  Then came the only daughter..........

I ran several combinations of the names of pets and streets we lived on for myself and DD - frankly, none of them came across as something that would work for the "entertainment industry".  Guess we lived on staid & proper streets and had boring pets.............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Asharah

« Reply #786 on: May 20, 2007, 01:33:05 AM »
My one suggestion for parents who want to give their children unusual names or unconventional spellings is this: Make sure you send your kid to school with a copy of their birth certificate. Sooner or later, they will encounter some know-it-all teacher who will insist that that can't possibly be their real name or the correct spelling. I think we have a whole thread on that topic somewhere on the board.
Found the thread! http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=2819.0
The one I found irritating was the teacher who marked a student down for spelling her brother's name "Keven" on a school paper, even when she explained that was how her family spelled it. And her mother refused to write a note to the teacher telling her the kid was right.
Also the teacher who dragged a girl down to the office to "prove" her given name was "Susan" and not "Sue." And even when the records stated it was, in fact, "Sue" she kept calling her "Susan" cause "her parents must have lied" in the records.  ::)
Asharah

Calbrini

« Reply #787 on: May 20, 2007, 04:22:32 AM »
One of my teachers refused to call a boy in my class Jamie and was convinced that his name was James. She said it wasnt a Christian name and that vicars wouldnt Christen someone if they didnt have a proper name.

Issa

« Reply #788 on: May 20, 2007, 08:44:29 AM »
There is a difference between so-called "you-neek" and unique names. Also, just because you have not heard a name before does not mean that it isn't supremely common in other cultures and/or countries.

I guess my point is that we (general we) should not assume that a name is made-up (although technically aren't they all :)) or used in an attempt to be different if we have not heard it before. My first and middle names are pretty uncommon. In some ways it has been a little bit annoying because when I introduce myself, generally I have had to repeat myself once. However other than that, I have had no issues other than people asking me "Wow, I really like your name - Where is it from? - What does it mean??". I would not change it for the world, and frankly, am very glad that many many people do not have my name. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:36:01 AM by Issa »

ClaireC79

« Reply #789 on: May 20, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
I agree that once people realise it's a 'proper' name they seem to accept it.  I've been asked several times where I got my daughters name from, when people find out it's an Estonian version of Katie then most just say that it's a pretty name. 

When the GP heard it the first thing he asked was if my husband was German (no, he's just got a German name - although he did live there for several years), I'm the one who was born in Germany.

Asharah

« Reply #790 on: May 20, 2007, 10:26:09 AM »
One of my teachers refused to call a boy in my class Jamie and was convinced that his name was James. She said it wasnt a Christian name and that vicars wouldnt Christen someone if they didnt have a proper name.
Maybe the parents should have dropped by with a copy of the baptismal certificate.
I wonder if Lizzie Borden hacked her dad and step-mom to death cause she was fed up with having to constantly tell people her full name was Lizzie, not Elizabeth. (Said with extreme tongue in cheek. Yes I know she was acquitted. And according to her inquest testimony Lizzie was in fact her legal and baptismal name. Although she went by "Lizabeth" after her acquital.)
Asharah

Calbrini

« Reply #791 on: May 20, 2007, 11:20:17 AM »
It did turn out that Jamie wasnt even Christened, his mother had to tell the school he wasnt called James. At the time, there were still priests/vicars who wouldnt christen children who didnt have 'proper' names. I still found myself saying to DH during my pregnancies that certain names were not proper names. It must have stayed with me!

dawbs

« Reply #792 on: May 20, 2007, 11:57:34 AM »
Muffin's a perfectly nice name.  For a cat.

Thank you - I will let my Muffin know that

My three purrbabies are Cyber Dot Com - Muffin and Mert

I went to college w/ a girl who answered to "Muffin"....
I wasn't a fan.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #793 on: May 20, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »
My one suggestion for parents who want to give their children unusual names or unconventional spellings is this: Make sure you send your kid to school with a copy of their birth certificate. Sooner or later, they will encounter some know-it-all teacher who will insist that that can't possibly be their real name or the correct spelling. I think we have a whole thread on that topic somewhere on the board.

The schools here require a birth certificate upon registration anyway.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #794 on: May 20, 2007, 12:12:43 PM »
I know all my crossing guard kid's names because they have them written in marker on their backpacks...smart, huh? ???

At my daughter's school, we are required to write the child's name on the backpack.