Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1891274 times)

Summrs

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #945 on: May 31, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »
My friend's last name was Slutz but you can bet that it was mis-pronounced entirely.

This is bad enough... how much worse could it be if it was mispronounced?  And... what could it be mispronounced as?

zi_fairy

« Reply #946 on: May 31, 2007, 10:16:22 PM »
My friend's last name was Slutz but you can bet that it was mis-pronounced entirely.

This is bad enough... how much worse could it be if it was mispronounced?  And... what could it be mispronounced as?

It was supposed to be pronounced Sl-oo-ts, but one of our teachers Freshmen year pronounced it like the word for promiscuous girl, and it stuck. So for the rest of high school she was known as *that* word. Which was really sad because she was a very sweet girl and an excellent actress involved in the drama club as well as the local theater group. We (her friends) all called her by her first name, but there were the jerks who thought they were being funny when they called her *that*

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #947 on: May 31, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »

It was supposed to be pronounced Sl-oo-ts, but one of our teachers Freshmen year pronounced it like the word for promiscuous girl, and it stuck. So for the rest of high school she was known as *that* word. Which was really sad because she was a very sweet girl and an excellent actress involved in the drama club as well as the local theater group. We (her friends) all called her by her first name, but there were the jerks who thought they were being funny when they called her *that*

While I don't think that people should do legal-name-changes for surnames frivolously - I think that this is one case where it might be justified.  In another language it certainly might be pronounced differently but I'd think that most North Americans could indeed give it this pronounciation, and it could indeed be very embarassing for the young people.  If they made a legal-name change to change the spelling to "Slootz" I think they'd remain true to their heritage and most people, on hearing the new-name, wouldn't associate it with the unfortunate slur.

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #948 on: June 01, 2007, 12:22:09 AM »
One company I used to work for had name change paperwork come through for a client.  The whole family changed their last name from "Slutter" to "Slatter" or something similiar.

When my DH's grandmother was a little girl she once went to school and very proudly declared to her teacher that "My mother was a whore until she got married!"  Her mother's maiden name was Hoar.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #949 on: June 01, 2007, 12:23:18 AM »
I made it through all 66 pages (and 978 messages) of this thread.  It took several days, a massive amount of willpower, and neglecting more important activities (such as writing my thesis).  If I don't graduate I blame each and every one of you.  Furthermore, I would like a pat on the back. <waits for patting to start>  :)  Because I've made it this far I'm going to contribute something

My name's not extremely common (72,475 with my name, ranked 643) but I have met a few people with it.  I like that it is common enough that people usually know how to pronounce it and spell it (more or less) correctly but uncommon enough that I've never been in school with or worked with another Antoinette.  I do expect a slew of new Antoinette's because of the recent movie Marie Antoinette.  The only thing that drives me NUTS about my name is when I see it spelled Antwanette (or Antwan for boys).  My name has a "correct" spelling and it does not include a "w".  Oh, and that people tend to pronounce it "Antanette" - it's French people, work it out.

I enjoy having a fairly uncommon name and I want to give any future children that I may have less common names.  I tend to like names similar to mine - lots of syllables and very feminine sounding (like Gabrielle, Victoria, Annalisa, Tantiana).  However my favorites are Lydia, Miriam (I know this one is biblical in origin), and Aine (ah-nia, which I guess is the Irish version of Anne).  The only boy name that I'm really fond of is Josiah.

Finally, although I don't know anyone with a truly odd or you-neek name, I confess to liking the addition of the random 'y' to names (Jayne, Karyn, Julya).  That being said I would never go around sticking an 'y' in a perfectly good name. 

Signed,
Grover Jansen (my p*rn name)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 12:38:15 AM by Antoinette »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Siduri

« Reply #950 on: June 01, 2007, 01:20:26 AM »
In high school, I graduated with a girl name Crystal Lake.

That would be cheesy enough on its own, but isn't that the name of the campground in the Friday the 13th series?  Was this girl born before or after those movies came out?

Ondine

« Reply #951 on: June 01, 2007, 03:01:55 AM »
One company I used to work for had name change paperwork come through for a client.  The whole family changed their last name from "Slutter" to "Slatter" or something similiar.

When my DH's grandmother was a little girl she once went to school and very proudly declared to her teacher that "My mother was a whore until she got married!"  Her mother's maiden name was Hoar.

Oh I would have paid to see the look on the teacher's face! And your DH's grandmother couldn't even get in trouble, cause she was telling the truth.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #952 on: June 01, 2007, 10:00:39 AM »
I had to post this. Hubby and I hit a drive thru for dinner last night. We get to the window to get our food (amazingly, prepared and labeled correctly!), and after the lovely worker handed us our drinks and shut the window as she was waiting for our food to be done, Hubby and I both asked the other if they ad seen her name. I have no clue at all the pronounciation, but it was spelled Atkhiiia. Yes, that is three 'i's in a row, we counted, twice, and it was on our reciept.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #953 on: June 01, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »

That would be cheesy enough on its own, but isn't that the name of the campground in the Friday the 13th series?  Was this girl born before or after those movies came out?

There's also a Crystal Lake near where I grew up. I took swimming lessons there. (I do suspect that Crystal Lake is a pretty common name for lakes. I've heard of others.)

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
« Reply #954 on: June 01, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »

There's also a Crystal Lake near where I grew up. I took swimming lessons there. (I do suspect that Crystal Lake is a pretty common name for lakes. I've heard of others.)
Cathy-did you grow up down in the Mankato/Medilia area?

Arianoor

« Reply #955 on: June 01, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »

My mother's maiden name was Howard.  It was changed from Hoar when they passed through Ellis Island on the way here from Germany.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #956 on: June 01, 2007, 12:29:14 PM »
Some old-fashioned names are timeless and just fine, but some are terribly outdated and would make any baby sound like an ugly old grandma. Can you imagine some poor baby girl stuck with Mildred, Hortense, or Gertrude?

I'm 35 with no children, but Mildred is on my short list should I ever have any daughters. I also kind of like Gertrude.  Both names are classic and have great nicknames: Millie and Trudy.  Hardly anyone still associates the name Millie for Barbara Bush's English Springer spaniel any more.

Formerly Mrs.Bart

hollasa

« Reply #957 on: June 01, 2007, 01:21:45 PM »
I wikipedia'd it (is that a verb yet?)

And here I go into the great OT:

From 'common usage' around here I think the phrase you want is "I wiki'd it".
It rolls off the tongue a bit better.

I still remember my giggles when a newspaper article used the phrase "In pre-Googlian days". Fun times  ;D

(kinda sort OT, but still relating to naming)

I would think that "wiki'd" it would be the more generic term, as there can be multiple wikis, but only one Wikipedia.

"Pre-Googlian" - love it.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #958 on: June 01, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »

No, I grew up in Burnsville. Crystal Lake is in Burnsville near Lakeville.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
« Reply #959 on: June 01, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »

No, I grew up in Burnsville. Crystal Lake is in Burnsville near Lakeville.
A friend from Mankato just informed me shortly before reading this that it's Lake Crystal down by them. Now I know where Crystal Lake is, though, so I can be on the lookout for machete weilding, masked men. Thank you! ;D