Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1881514 times)

suzieQ

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #7650 on: August 29, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
A friend who works with children told me one of her stories: One of the mothers was upset because the workers were not pronouncing her child's name correctly. The name was K-a.

Now how would you pronounce that?! The mother very agitatedly told my friend that "you are supposed to pronounce the dash!"  Child's name K dash a.
True story
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

chibichan

« Reply #7651 on: August 29, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »
I met a woman whose mother obviously had high educational hopes for her daughter . The lady's name was Scholastica.

The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Ms. Megan

« Reply #7652 on: August 29, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »
In my Hunter Safety course today, the instructor called out the certificate for Carver C. (The last name was pretty similar to the first name Carson or Carter or something.) Everyone started to giggle though because the instructor had said the wrong name. The boy's real name?
Caver.

Is this a popular name or....?

Serendipity0723

« Reply #7653 on: August 29, 2009, 08:03:24 PM »
In my class this year, we have:

Camren
Sariah-Skyy Blue
Kydric (the y is pronounced like a long i)
Kha'Liyah
Janeigh (Juh-nay)
J'Deon (Jade-eon)
DaWaylon
Reyannah and
Julissa

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #7654 on: August 29, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »
I met a woman whose mother obviously had high educational hopes for her daughter . The lady's name was Scholastica.

There's a St. Scholastica Academy in Chicago, so I'd assume there's a St. Scholastica.  Not one you encounter often, though :)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7655 on: August 29, 2009, 09:34:08 PM »

There's a St. Scholastica Academy in Chicago, so I'd assume there's a St. Scholastica.  Not one you encounter often, though :)

There is a St. Scholastica. She was an Italian nun who lived in the 5th and 6th centuries.

Maggie

« Reply #7656 on: August 29, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »
Ahhneastiy or however they spell it is doing great and that is exactly what they named her! 

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #7657 on: August 29, 2009, 11:56:29 PM »
Congrats on the grandkids. :)
But wasn't Vandora the MIL on Bewitched?  P

Hmm, no I think that was Endora....

Yup, Endora.  Not that I watch too much Bewitched or anything...  ;)

There's no such thing as too much Bewitched.   ;)

ooh.boo

« Reply #7658 on: August 30, 2009, 12:20:47 AM »
It took me a long time but I finally finished the thread!!  I went to school with twins named Justin/Dustin(not too bad), worked with twin girls named Joni and Joani, and baby-sat some named Jeremiah and Shania (too much rhyming IMO).  I also know kids named Alize, Hennessey, and Cristal (names of alcohol).  I went to school with a girl named Midori, but I never thought it was weird until I read this lol. I also know a man who does rodeo events.  His children are Rope, Ty and Cash.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7659 on: August 30, 2009, 12:29:18 AM »
It took me a long time but I finally finished the thread!!  I went to school with twins named Justin/Dustin(not too bad), worked with twin girls named Joni and Joani, and baby-sat some named Jeremiah and Shania (too much rhyming IMO).  I also know kids named Alize, Hennessey, and Cristal (names of alcohol).  I went to school with a girl named Midori, but I never thought it was weird until I read this lol. I also know a man who does rodeo events.  His children are Rope, Ty and Cash.

...Wait, are those pronounced the same way?  I would say them both as "joe-nee".

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #7660 on: August 30, 2009, 03:11:19 AM »

...Wait, are those pronounced the same way?  I would say them both as "joe-nee".

I was thinking that at first too, but I think it's more like "John-ee" and "Joe-nee"  (based on Joni Eareckson Tada - it's pronounced Johnny, although many people think it's "Joan-ee", including me whenever I look at that name.    How crazy would it be though, because most people would look at the twins names and think they were both the same name... that's a lifetime of confusion.   "Are you looking for Joni Smith or Joani Smith?"  "Whaaat? You mean they're two different people??"
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7661 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:21 AM »
Ahhneastiy or however they spell it is doing great and that is exactly what they named her! 

Oh, dear. Did they come up with a nickname?

Because you know the kids at her future school will find one if they don't.  :-\

ETA - and the spellchecker says we should be spelling it Ahnesty. Better, but I'd still give it a pass.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Maxiestar

« Reply #7662 on: August 30, 2009, 02:04:37 PM »
In the paper this morning...

Presley

It's a little girl.

Hmmm....I wonder if they're Elvis fans?

Maggie

« Reply #7663 on: August 30, 2009, 02:10:05 PM »

Oh, dear. Did they come up with a nickname?

Because you know the kids at her future school will find one if they don't.  :-\

ETA - and the spellchecker says we should be spelling it Ahnesty. Better, but I'd still give it a pass.

No nickname that is what they call her!  
ETA Honestly if you are going to name her that why not just spell it Honesty :P  No pun intended!

tracieleigh

« Reply #7664 on: August 30, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
In the paper this morning...

Presley

It's a little girl.

Hmmm....I wonder if they're Elvis fans?

Presley is a pretty common name in our area......I can think of 4 girls and 3 boys with that name (all under 10) and I know several kiddos with it as a middle name.