Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1891145 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #10275 on: June 06, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »
Almost every Christopher I have ever known has the middle name Michael. I only knew one with a different middle name (Scott), but he goes by his middle.

Same here  :)

Though most Michaels I've known had Anthony as a middle name. ;D

I know a Michael Anthony... and his father is Anthony Michael. :)

katiescarlett

« Reply #10276 on: June 06, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »
My sister has done an informal study of her classmates, and apparently the only acceptable middle names for Jennifer are Marie, Ann, or Lynn.  But, any of her classmates with unique names also have unique middle names.  I'll ask her for the examples again later, because they had me rolling my eyes even after reading the ones on this thread.

I am a Jennifer and my middle name was supposed to be Renee, but my dad insisted that I be given my mother's first name as my middle name.  She goes by her middle name because she hates her first name. 

So I am Jennifer Carol.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #10277 on: June 07, 2010, 02:39:34 AM »
I'm property hunting at the moment and during my search I came across two interesting names.

Dors (pronounced Doris). Not sure if that's a legitimate spelling variation or a genuine name, but it struck me as odd.

Marvo. I was so tempted to ask if it was short for Marvelous.  ;D And for the record, he was a VERY nice guy (and possibly my future landlord).

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #10278 on: June 07, 2010, 04:23:23 AM »
I am a Jennifer and my middle name was supposed to be Renee, but my dad insisted that I be given my mother's first name as my middle name.  She goes by her middle name because she hates her first name. 

So I am Jennifer Carol.

Whaa?  Your Dad insisted that you be given a middle name that your mother hates?  How odd.   

Interestingly, I know a few Carol's that hate their name, and I don't understand why because I think it's quite pretty.

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #10279 on: June 07, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »
Dors (pronounced Doris). Not sure if that's a legitimate spelling variation or a genuine name, but it struck me as odd.

With some names, depending on the age/location of the individual, there could be issues with literacy and/or general lack of knowledge.  While I obviously don't know the situation with Dors, I could imagine that being a simple misspelling.  If you say Dors aloud, it sounds like Doris.  One of my Dad's cousin's has butchered spelling of Genine/Janine because my grandmother (who raised her) didn't know how to spell it and there was no baby names book to consult.  We think she just kind of guessed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

ShieldMaiden

• Lady of Rohan
« Reply #10280 on: June 07, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
My sister has done an informal study of her classmates, and apparently the only acceptable middle names for Jennifer are Marie, Ann, or Lynn.  But, any of her classmates with unique names also have unique middle names.  I'll ask her for the examples again later, because they had me rolling my eyes even after reading the ones on this thread.

I'm a Jennifer and my middle name is Helene.  I love it  ;D  It's my grandmother's first name and I plan on passing it down if we ever have a daughter.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #10281 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »
My name is Beverly, and people tend to assume that my middle name must be either Anne or Marie -- don't know why. Even my former therapist, when I'd say something outrageous, would respond with "Beverly Marie!" Uh, no ... it's Louise.

I did know a family of 14 children, nine of whom were girls who all had the middle name Marie. Mom was a devout Catholic. I also knew a large French Canadian family (also devout Catholics) where all the girls had the first name Marie and all the boys had the first name Joseph -- they went by their middle names.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Shea

« Reply #10282 on: June 07, 2010, 09:31:13 PM »
My name is Beverly, and people tend to assume that my middle name must be either Anne or Marie -- don't know why. Even my former therapist, when I'd say something outrageous, would respond with "Beverly Marie!" Uh, no ... it's Louise.

I did know a family of 14 children, nine of whom were girls who all had the middle name Marie. Mom was a devout Catholic. I also knew a large French Canadian family (also devout Catholics) where all the girls had the first name Marie and all the boys had the first name Joseph -- they went by their middle names.

I think that's pretty common among French Canadian families, or at least it was at one time. Good thing they'd give them all different middle names, or things could get confusing in a big family!

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #10283 on: June 07, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »
An old friend just had a baby over the weekend-Alaina Jack.  Not horrible names, but I have nooo clue if it's a boy or girl.  Leaning towards girl because the first name sounds more feminine to me.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10284 on: June 08, 2010, 10:43:45 AM »
An old friend just had a baby over the weekend-Alaina Jack.  Not horrible names, but I have nooo clue if it's a boy or girl.  Leaning towards girl because the first name sounds more feminine to me.
Not sure where the Jack came from, but Alaina/Alana/Alona/Elaina is definitely a female name.  I know (personally) three with the latter 3 spellings.  Haven't seen your baby's spelling, but I'd say it's a girl.
Maybe they're Mass Effect 2 fans? Or Pitch Black?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10285 on: June 08, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »
Alaina Jack. 
Maybe they're Mass Effect 2 fans?

I thought this too, then went "Nah." With that first name, I really hope the kid is a girl regardless, for his/her sake. (I'm also not so sure Jack is a character I'd want to name my kid after, even though I'm not particularly superstitious...)

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #10286 on: June 08, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »
Alaina Jack. 
Maybe they're Mass Effect 2 fans?

I thought this too, then went "Nah." With that first name, I really hope the kid is a girl regardless, for his/her sake. (I'm also not so sure Jack is a character I'd want to name my kid after, even though I'm not particularly superstitious...)

I did learn that it is, in fact, a baby girl.  Now to just figure out where Jack came from! I don't know if they're fans of any of the suggested things lol.

Rohanna

« Reply #10287 on: June 08, 2010, 03:24:01 PM »
Met someone called "Galaxia"- she said her parents were big sci-fi geeks  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:46:13 PM by Rohanna »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10288 on: June 08, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
Well, ME2 Jack is a psychopathic serial murderer chick who goes around 99.9999% naked from the waist up, so hopefully not that!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #10289 on: June 08, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
Last night on Last Comic Standing was a woman named Fortune.
The status is not quo!