Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1947400 times)

Browyn

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #16890 on: September 27, 2012, 08:50:57 AM »
I'm not a fan of starting all your kids' names with the same letter, but if you start doing it, don't change your mind all of the sudden.

Case in point, this family in my database today (not actual names):
Kenneth & Karen Smith, parents
Kimberly, Kristopfer, Kurt, Kourtney, Jane, & Khloe, kids

Am I the only one thinking Jane is the milkman's daughter? (Jane is not adopted.)

Could Jane have choosen to go by her middle name?  How old are the kids?

Bethczar

« Reply #16891 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
I'm not a fan of starting all your kids' names with the same letter, but if you start doing it, don't change your mind all of the sudden.

Case in point, this family in my database today (not actual names):
Kenneth & Karen Smith, parents
Kimberly, Kristopfer, Kurt, Kourtney, Jane, & Khloe, kids

Am I the only one thinking Jane is the milkman's daughter? (Jane is not adopted.)

Could Jane have choosen to go by her middle name?  How old are the kids?
Jane is her first name. The kids range from about 12 to 21. She would not be old enough to legally change her name on her own.

Bethczar

« Reply #16892 on: September 27, 2012, 12:31:19 PM »
In my kids' school there is a Sesleigh (I assume it's a girl). Could it be pronounced like "Cecily"?

No. Cecily has three syllables. Sesleigh has two. Sez-lee, is how I'd say the second.

Oh, don't be silly, the third syllable is clearly silent!   ;)

(Seriously, I'd lay odds that it actually is pronounced Cecily)
I was reading it Ses-lay (rhymes with sleigh) but it could be more like Sez-lee (rhymes with Leslie).
I was thinking Sess-lee.

katiescarlett

« Reply #16893 on: September 27, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »
Met an Erran today.

Nice young gentleman.

My friend's first name is Erron (pronounced Aaron) and his middle name, which he goes by, starts with a C.  They spelled his first name that way because it is their family tradition to have the first son (or only one in his case, he has a sister) named with the initials of EC Lastname.  The EC initials go back several generations I believe.

Betelnut

« Reply #16894 on: September 27, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »
Met an Erran today.

Nice young gentleman.

My friend's first name is Erron (pronounced Aaron) and his middle name, which he goes by, starts with a C.  They spelled his first name that way because it is their family tradition to have the first son (or only one in his case, he has a sister) named with the initials of EC Lastname.  The EC initials go back several generations I believe.

Oh, for goodness sakes.  Then why didn't they name him Edward? Or Eugene? Or Ellis? Or Edwin? Or Emmanuel? Or.. or... or..? 

Sigh.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

turtleIScream

« Reply #16895 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »
Met an Erran today.

Nice young gentleman.

Oh, for goodness sakes.  Then why didn't they name him Edward? Or Eugene? Or Ellis? Or Edwin? Or Emmanuel? Or.. or... or..? 

Sigh.

I love Spencer as a middle name, but my husband's family uses middle names for sons which start with "W"; we ended up using Wesley. Who knew I could've gone with Wspencer?

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #16896 on: September 27, 2012, 01:39:45 PM »
Met an Erran today.

Nice young gentleman.

Sigh.

Iím not sure about the double r, but my understanding is that Eron is a common spelling of Aaron in Spanish, Hebrew, and Eastern European communities. I donít know that it is sigh-worthy.

katiescarlett

« Reply #16897 on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »
Met an Erran today.

Nice young gentleman.

Sigh.

I know.  I agree with you!  At least he goes by his middle name.

katiescarlett

« Reply #16898 on: September 27, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »
Reese Witherspoon just had a baby boy named Tennessee James.  Not the worst celebrity name I have ever heard, but still pretty unusual.  Isn't she from Tennessee?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #16899 on: September 27, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »
Reese Witherspoon just had a baby boy named Tennessee James.  Not the worst celebrity name I have ever heard, but still pretty unusual.  Isn't she from Tennessee?

Yes, she is.  :) Still don't like the name.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16900 on: September 27, 2012, 06:47:28 PM »

Yes. She named him that as a connection with/tribute to her roots, apparently.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16901 on: September 27, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »
I would like it better if that was the middle name.  James Tennessee sounds much better. 

LazyDaisy

« Reply #16902 on: September 27, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »
It's not that bad to me. The American playwright Tennessee Williams comes to mind so it's not without precedent. At least she spelled it the way it's supposed to be spelled and didn't "u-neek" it up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." ó Douglas Adams

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #16903 on: September 27, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
It's not that bad to me. The American playwright Tennessee Williams comes to mind so it's not without precedent. At least she spelled it the way it's supposed to be spelled and didn't "u-neek" it up.

That wasn't his birth name, though - his birth name was Thomas Lanier Williams III. So it was a stage name, which makes a lot of difference to me. Interestingly, Mr. Williams was born in Mississippi.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Betelnut

« Reply #16904 on: September 27, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »
I don't mind it (Tennessee).  It's a lot better than most of the names on this thread.  And, as someone else mentioned, at least it is spelled correctly!
Native Texan, Marylander currently