Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1952601 times)

Rohanna

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #16980 on: November 30, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
Krystyna is Polish spelling.  Only doing part is...making your child have to correct the spelling for he rest of their life.

Many of the posts in this thread now seem to assume that everyone is a North American of anglo-saxon origin , so different spellings are not checked to see if they are cultural, ethnic or otherwise "normal" somewhere that isn't a flyover state in America. The original premise was amusing, but now to be honest, it's made me uncomfortable to see perfectly normal names in other heritages held up for derision simply because they are unfamiliar to the poster.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:26:47 PM by Rohanna »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16981 on: December 01, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »
Krystyna is Polish spelling.  Only doing part is...making your child have to correct the spelling for he rest of their life.

Many of the posts in this thread now seem to assume that everyone is a North American of anglo-saxon origin , so different spellings are not checked to see if they are cultural, ethnic or otherwise "normal" somewhere that isn't a flyover state in America. The original premise was amusing, but now to be honest, it's made me uncomfortable to see perfectly normal names in other heritages held up for derision simply because they are unfamiliar to the poster.

It's not unfamiliar. I am just wondering why a Y and an I. I can understand 2 Y's. It is the y and the I that boggles my mind. And FTR I share the name with this girl, just a different spelling. The name Christina has always boggled my mind... mainly because it has a thousand spellings.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16982 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »

I assume you are aware that most "flyover states" have some type of very strong ethnic foundation.  Maybe not as diverse as some other coastal states, or those that you seem to deem worthy of visiting and not just flying over.  But I have met a few New Yorkers who have no idea how to deal with Kuykendahl.  It seems some people forget that Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont are some of the least diverse states in the nation.  And California as an extremely small eastern european population.

Sorry if this seems snippy, but I find the term fly over state very dismissive even though I do not live in one.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #16983 on: December 02, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »
Yikes-
I wrote the Polish Krystyna comment on my phone, and now that it has been quoted, cannot correct the poor way I wrote it!
Krystyna is a heritage name for some of my family.

I meant to say,
Krystyna is the Polish spelling for the name Christina, although it is not so common in the US.  The hard part is having the child give the "correct" spelling of their version of the name for the rest of their life--Krystina, Christina, Kristina, Kristyna, Khristina, Khrystyna, Chrystyna, Kristiana, Chrystiana, Crystyna, Cristina, etc...
(only three of those names I wrote were ok with spellcheck.)

My own name is phonetically easy, but not common.

I do not think there is a "perfect" name. 
I bet even Adam and Eve had to spell out their names!  lol
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #16984 on: December 03, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
Well, it wasn’t until the last three hundred years or so (maybe less in areas with lower literacy rates) that spelling was standardized… even for names. so Adam might have been comfortable with Adom, Adem, Addam, or Aadam. ;)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #16985 on: December 03, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
I have not ever had a reason to post to this thread until recently!

I worked in a school building a few weeks ago where there was a plethora of twins.  One set of the twins was named (*names changed - you'll see the point anyway...*): Jimmy Joe Bob I and Jimmy Joe Bob II.

:o

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #16986 on: December 03, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
When my father was a boy, he encountered a couple of odd names. One was the name of a fellow pupil:
[redacted] Goodwilly
The other, the name of the doctor's receptionist:
Mrs Death (pronounced De-ath)

Meanwhile his mother's first name was Gwenna - a name that I rather like, but, by all accounts, she absolutely hated.

Then there was Aunty Daisy - who was neither an aunt nor actually Christened Daisy...never DID get to the bottom of that one, though! (I've a notion that Daisy might be some connection to the name Margaret, but I'm not positive.)

Finally, there's me: Rachel. Six letters. Nice and simple. Even if you can't read the block capitals on the form, you can at least COUNT them...unless you were the admin team of the University of Salford Acoustics department, who spent two years insisting that my name was RachAel. (More than ten years later and I'm still annoyed by that one...and grateful that I didn't finish my degree because I'd have been even more irritated had my degree certificate been misspelled!)

Interestingly, in my year at secondary school (roughly 60 girls), we actually got off lightly for "unique" names, but boy was there duplication: Three girls called Jo, three called Lucy (admittedly one of those was a Lucy-Ann rather than just Lucy), four Rach(a)els (two of us Rachel Jane!), three Jessicas, three (or was it four?) Catherine/Kathryn/Katherines (yes, each one had a different spelling!), two Sophies, two Amy/Aimees (and just to confuse the issue, Amy had an older sister called Jo who also went there so sometimes she'd cop for Jo instead), a Hannah and an Anna...and that's just what I can remember!

Mind you, the group of girls who started aged eleven when I was finishing off my a-levels contained (so I'm told - I'd actually moved schools by then) five girls called Kylie...yes, as in Minogue.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #16987 on: December 03, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
When my father was a boy, he encountered a couple of odd names. One was the name of a fellow pupil:
[redacted] Goodwilly

Meanwhile his mother's first name was Gwenna - a name that I rather like, but, by all accounts, she absolutely hated.

Then there was Aunty Daisy - who was neither an aunt nor actually Christened Daisy...never DID get to the bottom of that one, though! (I've a notion that Daisy might be some connection to the name Margaret, but I'm not positive.)

Daisy is indeed a nickname for Margaret. It was fairly common years ago but it has fallen out of favour so most people don't know it.

Fun fact - there are several sequels to the book 'Little Women'. In one of them we meet Meg's twins, Margaret and John, named after their parents. They get the nicknames Daisy and Demi (as in demi-john).
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #16988 on: December 03, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »

There's a famous fictional detective whose middle name is Death (rhymes with "teeth.") Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #16989 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »
Finally, there's me: Rachel. Six letters. Nice and simple. Even if you can't read the block capitals on the form, you can at least COUNT them...unless you were the admin team of the University of Salford Acoustics department, who spent two years insisting that my name was RachAel. (More than ten years later and I'm still annoyed by that one...and grateful that I didn't finish my degree because I'd have been even more irritated had my degree certificate been misspelled!)

Likewise, we RachAels are forever trying to correct people who insist our name is Rachel  ::)

My degrees are all right, but any number of other important documents are wrong or had to be corrected. Bah.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #16990 on: December 03, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »

Likewise, we RachAels are forever trying to correct people who insist our name is Rachel  ::)

My degrees are all right, but any number of other important documents are wrong or had to be corrected. Bah.

Believe me, I sympathise!

Coruscation

« Reply #16991 on: December 03, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »

There's a famous fictional detective whose middle name is Death (rhymes with "teeth.") Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey

I read somewhere that names like this are from the Middle Ages when parts in religious plays were highly coveted and passed down the generations. It accounts for names like Death, Virgin, Priest etc.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #16992 on: December 03, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »
I always thought it had to do with using a person's occupation as a surname: Cooper, Chandler, Smith, Tailor/Taylor. I can see where Death might have been the name given to grave diggers or executioners etc.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

GSNW

« Reply #16993 on: December 03, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
This is something of a teaching urban legend in my area - everyone tells the story but no one seems to actually know the teacher this happened to.

A first grade teacher had a student whose name was spelled L-a.  She called the girl "la-ah," and was not corrected. Mom scheduled a conference and angrily informed the teacher she was calling L-a by the wrong name (who knows why L-a did not correct the teacher).  According to legend, mom said, "Her name is Ledasha.  The dash don't be silent."

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16994 on: December 03, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
This is something of a teaching urban legend in my area - everyone tells the story but no one seems to actually know the teacher this happened to.

A first grade teacher had a student whose name was spelled L-a.  She called the girl "la-ah," and was not corrected. Mom scheduled a conference and angrily informed the teacher she was calling L-a by the wrong name (who knows why L-a did not correct the teacher).  According to legend, mom said, "Her name is Ledasha.  The dash don't be silent."

that one is on snopes.com, along with the twins oranjello and lemonjello :)