Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1889931 times)

Browyn

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17010 on: December 08, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »
The longer I read this thread the happier I am to have given my son an old fashioned boring name - Henry.

Actually among my friends the trend seems to be older names:  Sophia, Sarah, Hannah, Benjamin, Jonathan, Aiden, Connor, Liam, Claire, Diana, and arriving in February - Ian and Katherine.

littlebird

« Reply #17011 on: December 08, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
This week I saw a Christophor Fabulous.  Yes, the o in what looks like "Christopher" is how it's spelled.

I suppose I should be glad the "Fabulous" was spelled correctly?

I can't remember if I've shared this before, but your post reminded me - a friend's boyfriend (now ex) discovered at 20-something that his dad had been quite drunk when he was born, and his legal name is, in fact, Christopoher (extra o between p and h) and not Christopher. He still goes by Chris, but his passport says Christopoher.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17012 on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
This week I saw a Christophor Fabulous.  Yes, the o in what looks like "Christopher" is how it's spelled.

I can't remember if I've shared this before, but your post reminded me - a friend's boyfriend (now ex) discovered at 20-something that his dad had been quite drunk when he was born, and his legal name is, in fact, Christopoher (extra o between p and h) and not Christopher. He still goes by Chris, but his passport says Christopoher.

Reminds me about my mom's birth certificate.  Her middle name, which she went by, was not common, but if you replaced two letters it became a much more common name, one that she did not like to be called.  For example her actual name was Elise but if you replaced the first and fourth it could become Alice. 

She was born in the 1930's and original birth certficates were handwritten by the doctor.  Mom had a typed up one with appropriate seals that she used since she'd married Dad but at some point lost it.  Mom needed  a passport so she sends me and my sis to the courthouse in the county where mom was born to get a new copy.  The county clerk pulls out the handwritten original to make us a copy.  We noticed immediately that the first letter was wrong and said so to the clerk, who knew my mom.  She commented about how poor this particular doctor's hearing had been and just writes over the certificate and switched the A to an E.  Being teenagers, Sis and I were pretty stunned because we didn't think you were supposed to change "official" documents.  We didn't notice till we got home that the S had also been incorrectly written down as a "c" and that the actual name on her birth certificate was actually Alice.  Yes, we teased mom about her "real" name for years.   

snowflake

« Reply #17013 on: December 10, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »

Looks like it is a variant name: as in various cultures have used it with that spelling.

Actually, I know the mom. The O is to make him special.  She was going to give Fabulous as a first name but reconsidered.

On the same vein as "drunk spelling" I had a friend who was named Caroline.  Her parents were very much into recreational pharmaceuticals.  Just as a quick explanation, they lived in their little commune and never left.  So she had almost no contact with the outside world until she was about 25 and tried to get away from it all.  She requested a copy of her vital documents and discovered that her name was, in fact...

Aroline. 

The recorder had made a typo and her parents hadn't noticed for 25 years.

She kept it because she thought it was sort of cool.  But she still asked to go by Caroline because she didn't like explaining over and over again that her parents really, really didn't notice.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17014 on: December 10, 2012, 06:27:33 PM »
Okay guys. My friend found one. I looked for a meaning of this name but... the only thing i came up with was the adoption site she found it on, and a forum thread on a naming site talking about how someone else had found this name through the site as well. The name?

Tillandousrubues 

I... have no idea how to pronounce it, and no idea of the origin. Maybe someone on Ehell has an idea?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17015 on: December 10, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »
All the google links seem to be about the same little girl, so it must be a one-off name, not  a traditional but unfamiliar name from a foreign country.  I wonder if somehow the first name and last name got mashed together? 

ETA to answer myself -- no first name "Tillandous" at all, other than one on a fanfic page.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:21:33 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

magicdomino

« Reply #17016 on: December 11, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »
Just heard this one -- Emjai. Pronounced "MJ"

Michael Jackson fan?

Or Michael Jordan.  Or Spiderman's wife/girlfriend, Mary Jane.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #17017 on: December 12, 2012, 01:20:18 AM »
Encountered at work today: Jymme.  I'm fairly sure that this is a woman's name, as the middle name is a common female name.  I just wonder how to pronounce it.

ClaireC79

« Reply #17018 on: December 12, 2012, 04:13:19 AM »
I'd have said Jimmie (as in Jimmie Krankie)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #17019 on: December 12, 2012, 06:55:04 AM »
Encountered at work today: Jymme.  I'm fairly sure that this is a woman's name, as the middle name is a common female name.  I just wonder how to pronounce it.

Possibly a unique spelling of Jamie?

LazyDaisy

« Reply #17020 on: December 12, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
I also think that it's pronounced in the Spanish way of Jaime (J makes an H sound and a long I).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #17021 on: December 12, 2012, 06:08:53 PM »
There were quite a few interesting names in this video claiming to be actual legal names of Utahns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIehCrO4Zs

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #17022 on: December 12, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
It was about halfway through before I realized they were not all different girls, just changed clothes and hair!
 ::) :P
Was pretty funny!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #17023 on: December 13, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »
It took me a while, too, RegionMom.

Just saw on FB:

Bower and Tanager, who are siblings (brothers?)

In my effort to find out if the later is an ethnic name, the only result had this to say.

"This name was most likely pulled out of someone's behind or respelled with a reckless disregard for history, aesthetics, or phonics. This name might also be a random word or surname. Use with caution."

More of the baby name sites need to return that  >:D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17024 on: December 13, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »
It took me a while, too, RegionMom.

Just saw on FB:

Bower and Tanager, who are siblings (brothers?)

In my effort to find out if the later is an ethnic name, the only result had this to say.

"This name was most likely pulled out of someone's behind or respelled with a reckless disregard for history, aesthetics, or phonics. This name might also be a random word or surname. Use with caution."

More of the baby name sites need to return that  >:D
They're both bird names, so one might guess that the family surname is "Byrd."
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.