Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2013215 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #17055 on: December 29, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
We have sisters who work at the university. LaShawn and LaDonna.

Syfygeek

« Reply #17056 on: December 29, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »
Via Facebook, just found out what a very distant relative named her child-

Quartnee

And in my mind, that first part will never be Court, it will always be Quart. I bet her sister, Zauna feels better about her name now.

And now, as an after Christmas gift, the pronunciations, and yes the spellings were deliberate.

Quartnee = Cortney and Zauna = Shauna
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Betelnut

« Reply #17057 on: December 29, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »

Quartnee

And in my mind, that first part will never be Court, it will always be Quart. I bet her sister, Zauna feels better about her name now.

And now, as an after Christmas gift, the pronunciations, and yes the spellings were deliberate.

I was "mispronouncing" each name then, Quart-nee and Z-ana.  I would have never gotten "Shauna" from Zauna.  Those are two terrible spellings of relatively normal names.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17058 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »

Quartnee

I was "mispronouncing" each name then, Quart-nee and Z-ana.  I would have never gotten "Shauna" from Zauna.  Those are two terrible spellings of relatively normal names.
I'm guessing that Quartnee's mother also calls the $.25 American coin a "corter." 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

BB-VA

« Reply #17059 on: December 29, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »
We have sisters who work at the university. LaShawn and LaDonna.

Reminds me of the James Thurber story where he mentions his housekeeper, Juanemma - whose mother loved the name Juanita so much that Juanemma had one sister named Juanita, as well as one named Juanhelen and one named Juangrace.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

JoW

« Reply #17060 on: December 29, 2012, 09:41:44 PM »
My father had a friend named Horace, with a middle name that was even worse, III.  That right, he was the 3rd generation with that horrible name.  He got a lot of pressure to name one of his sons Horace IV.  He had a spine and his sons have much more normal names. 

ETA
Oops.  I just did the math.  Horace III was born in about 1925.  So Horace Jr. was born about 1900, and Horace Senior was born about 1875.  Back then Horace was a very normal, reasonable name. 

Horace III's sons were born in about 1950.  Refusing to name one of them Horace IV makes perfect sense even if his older relatives didn't agree. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:15:33 PM by JoW »

snowdragon

« Reply #17061 on: December 30, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »
my introduced me to friends of his named Mootz and Jammie. 
These names were written on the class attendance chart - so they are the kids legal names. Mootz is bad enough  but Jammie is pronounced like the nickname for pajamas - I have to wonder how much teasing this kid takes about his name. 

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #17062 on: December 30, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
LaDonna at least makes some sense. It means "the lady" in Italian.

I may have mentioned it before, but my parents had a friend named Vulgis. I don't think I have ever met someone else with that name. It was a family name, I think, but I felt bad for him. His brother had the perfectly nice name of Charles.

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #17063 on: January 04, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
List of names from the last 3 months birth records at the local hospital here:

Brayten
Channing
Nyleigha
Kinzlee
Bailah
Brodereck
Blakely
Samariya
Rileen
Rilyn
Trice/Tryce
Manning
Tattum
Tenley
Cannyn
Daijah
Pryiah
Heinrich
Kross
Paygee
Ja'Niyah
Maesyn (female)
Baxton
King
Breah
Syer
Avarey/Avaree
Joebe
Kendryk
K'den
Aneekah
Arayah
Huntleigh
Payson (female)
Avarijana
Briony
Taein
Kien
Charolette (not a typo)
Ja'Mauri
Yuleeiivi
Vayda
Gershom
Anel-Faith
Zarriauna
Syhlis
Emarie
Kyruan
Ta'niya
Cloud

OTOH seeing some lovely classics (Beatrice, Mavis).  Boy names that are trending here are Levi and Bentley.

Bethczar

« Reply #17064 on: January 04, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »
Maybe it's that I live in a state with a lot of Germans, but Heinrich doesn't seem that strange to me. I've seen listings for at least two boys named Otto in the last year.

Channing & Tattum seem pretty common, too. Maybe I'm just getting used to the craziness.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17065 on: January 04, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »
When my father was a boy, he encountered a couple of odd names. One was the name of a fellow pupil:
[redacted] Goodwilly

I'm catching up on this thread. Do you know if Goodwilly became an M.D.? One of the doctors where I used to work had that last name (and a silly first name nickname to go with it) and it can't be all that common.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17066 on: January 04, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
Briony

That one is a legitimate older name that is now making a comeback.  It's a variation of the plant name bryony.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Coruscation

« Reply #17067 on: January 04, 2013, 05:05:44 PM »
Maybe it's that I live in a state with a lot of Germans, but Heinrich doesn't seem that strange to me. I've seen listings for at least two boys named Otto in the last year.

Channing & Tattum seem pretty common, too. Maybe I'm just getting used to the craziness.

I think it depends on how you pronounce them. for instance, I would pronounce Tattum as Tat-tum because of the double T but based on other posts in this thread, the parents are likely to insist that it is pronounced Taytum.

Moonie

« Reply #17068 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »
Had a gentleman in the office last week. First and last names perfectly normal, but I don't remember them, so I'll manufacture some....his name was....John Moonstar Smith.   Yep....Moonstar...right there on his ID card. I commented on his unique middle name, and the woman with him piped up...."I'm the one who gave him that name."  All I could say was, "Well, it's certainly unique."  ::)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17069 on: January 04, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
Amphelady.  ???

That name just turned up in my family tree. It appears that someone just made it up, as just the one person turns up when I do a Google search on the name. Her siblings were Joachim, Elizabeth, Christopher, Mary, and William.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona